EM TuningVolks Autos
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: 50/50 haldex mod

1st Gear

Status
    Haha, yep, I had exactly the same thought and was looking for another transverse set-up that might use a true center diff. I haven't found one yet

Evo - I could only find info on a couple of models, but they seem to be similar to haldex but with the hydraulic pressure fully computer controlled
    Celica GT4 - Viscous coupling
    Volvo 850 - Viscous coupling
    Newer Volvos - Haldex
    etc..

There's some I've not checked yet though, Pulsar GTiR, Mazda 626 etc..
    1.8 20v turbo converted '88 Scirocco - ASN Build Thread

2. # ADS
    ADS

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Could use the later S3 gear so you can get the uprated haldex with electronic adjustment?
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available
    FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats, None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    I'm loving the brainstorming in here guys. There's going to be a lot of expensive ideas and some cheap ones like the original one. Looking forward to it.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks for the explaination Robin.

I had it in my mind that the torsen sat on the prop shaft and tightened up as more torque was delivered. Just watched some youtube videos and now I can see the light!

So its back to "A4 quattro rear diff in an S3" idea.
    More inspectigating is needed when I go to the scrapyard.

This is why I thought the torsen was on the shaft - looks that way in this picture

quattro-torsen-differential_operating_principlex1024x768.jpg

Audi all wheel drive explained | awd cars, 4x4 vehicles, 4wd trucks, 4motion, quattro, xDrive, SH-AWD, Haldex, Torsen, wiki - How it works

So all we need is an "acceleration device" from a honda

Honda SH AWD Technical - YouTube

Last edited by Scullies; 23rd October 2013 at 20:52.
    Westy likes this.

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Anyway back to the original idea

I've made up a model for the adjuster and will be getting two make up, one for Gops and one for myself
    FOR SALE
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rhys1210 View Post
    The rears only hope if you moving slowly. Like parking.

I've never had mine hope under normal driving and cornering, only slow manoeuvres.

My haldex is locked 50:50 all the time even under braking.
    you should say you only notice it hopping at low speeds... they will still be doing it at higher speeds clearly..
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

1st Gear

Status
    In theory they should never hop as it should be an open diff.

But for some reason they do. But yes you are right it will hop at higher speeds but you don't notice it.
    2003 S3 BAM 225 Dolphin grey, Silk Nappa Leather, Bose, Cruise control.

Mods; custom code stage 1, S3 8P gear knob, pipercross panel filter, APR diverter valve, Forge TIP, Powerflex bushes, R32 rear anti roll bar, spacers F 15mm R 20mm, haldex race controller, Bilstein b12 pro kit, Porsche 996 turbo brakes.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    you should say you only notice it hopping at low speeds... they will still be doing it at higher speeds clearly..
    My thoughts aswell.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@A.L.D View Post
    Could use the later S3 gear so you can get the uprated haldex with electronic adjustment?
    I think the communication channels are different... 8L/Gen 1 will be K-Line and later stuff is canbus I believe...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I thought there would a problem with that one
    FOR SALE

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I've made the insert and will send it to anyone that wants to review it, Its the one with the circlip so please make sure you have that one.

I'm making a adjustable one that Gops will try
    Last edited by Andrew@A.L.D; 25th October 2013 at 18:06.
    s3dave likes this.
    FOR SALE

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Is that the threaded one or the circlip I'm trying? Or am I banging on the controller I sent over?
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Don't worry Gops your trying something different that fits both
    Westy likes this.
    FOR SALE

2nd Gear

Status
    I'd like to try one of these

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    The insert or the new thing that Gops is testing
    FOR SALE

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Ooo! I like this thread.. Every time I look at it, something new happens lol! And I'm testing! Perfect actually as I drive the car EVERYday forth and back. I might try and go on the jungle track at work and test the haldex!
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    The one your testing is adjustable
    Gops likes this.
    FOR SALE

s3 driver

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    i cant believe with all the computer/software geeks in the world, these things havent been hacked or reprogrammed.

50/50 at all times, then depending on the steering angle sensor readings it will progtressively allow slip in corners. then when steering angle goes back to 0 it re engages.
    Effectively that would be the reverse of haldex now.
    That was my thought too

@Andrew, have you considered in adjusting the split through an Arduino controller? (just came in mind as i've bought one today for another ideea) Adjusting it from inside the car or even have it on a custom "auto mode" that is acting based on throttle pedal position, steering angle, speed, etc is not hard at all. Could have some buttons maybe between the seats (where some of us have the navigation controls) and also an LCD to read the status

Seems like an ideea that makes me wanna study more..

Anyway I'm very captivated by the discussion as it becomes more and more interesting everytime i come back on forum Can't wait to see the results
    Audi S3 8L
    OZ Superleggera | Bilstein B14 | BMC CDA | K04 | FMIC | SACHS Race Engineering | Brembo Sport GT | EBC Redstuff

Live to drive, drive to live

s3 driver

Status
    Somthing simillar with this one Haldexansteuerung Version 2 - // Exclusive-Tuningparts
    but def under 100 eur
    Audi S3 8L
    OZ Superleggera | Bilstein B14 | BMC CDA | K04 | FMIC | SACHS Race Engineering | Brembo Sport GT | EBC Redstuff

2nd Gear

Status
    I wouldn't mind what gops got

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chris99 View Post
    That was my thought too

@Andrew, have you considered in adjusting the split through an Arduino controller? (just came in mind as i've bought one today for another ideea) Adjusting it from inside the car or even have it on a custom "auto mode" that is acting based on throttle pedal position, steering angle, speed, etc is not hard at all. Could have some buttons maybe between the seats (where some of us have the navigation controls) and also an LCD to read the status

Seems like an ideea that makes me wanna study more..

Anyway I'm very captivated by the discussion as it becomes more and more interesting everytime i come back on forum Can't wait to see the results
    Everyone makes it sounds so simple but to make the above cost money and i can understand why they sell for so much, Its not so simple to make either as the LCD needs coding etc, loom, the stand alone ecu etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by chaz20vt View Post
    I wouldn't mind what gops got
    Is it the right one for your haldex? there are terms and conditions if i give you this insert
    Westy likes this.
    FOR SALE

Status
    Its so easy mate, hurry up what's taking so long!

I was thinking its just a shame there's no access panel under the boot carpet to the haldex. That would make life a bit easier.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Down under

Status
    It's easy enough to replace it from underneath. I've done mine twice. It's fiddly to get it in and out but it's still a quick job.

I'd recommend using some string to pull the connector back through over the exhaust (tie some string to the connector end when you remove it, tie it to the new one and pull the string to get it back over). Then hold the gasket to the controller with an elastic band until you get the bolts in for a turn, then cut the elastic band off. Also, make sure you get the gasket on the right way as it can go on two ways of course. Worth ordering a new gasket too. You can reuse the bolts.
    Westy likes this.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Down under

Status
    I forgot to add, you'll loose a dribble of fluid but nothing to worry about. Although it's worth doing a Haldex service while you're under there if you've not done it for a while?
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    I forgot to add, you'll loose a dribble of fluid but nothing to worry about. Although it's worth doing a Haldex service while you're under there if you've not done it for a while?
    Dont undo the wrong bolt like i did and drained the diff.......

Down under

Status
    Haha, well it's worth changing that too 1L of GL5 75w90
    s3dave likes this.

s3 driver

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@A.L.D View Post
    Everyone makes it sounds so simple but to make the above cost money and i can understand why they sell for so much, Its not so simple to make either as the LCD needs coding etc, loom, the stand alone ecu etc etc etc
    I don't make it sound simple, it is. I am new into this as well, but as I said it's not hard. As the ideea came to my mind while reading the updates from here, felt that I had to share it here, maybe you can benefit from it.

Of course there is some coding there, but being an open source community, you can easily get code, libraries, help etc. The language is C++, I had some experience with it about 10 years ago, I will try and reintroduce myself in this world. Anyone else with basic programming skills is able to code this microcontroller.

The price they ask is justified only if they target to sell 2 or 3 pieces and get profit too
    Coding a text on LCD is less than 5 min job, then copy/paste for the other units, display is 4$, Arduino is about 18$, modules (shields) 10-25$, sensors about 15$ (temp, pressure or even triple-axis accelerometer), and loom.. lol.. few dollars.

Excuse me but still don't get why they ask for that price. I got the controller and some extra bits, still waiting for a power supply module and lcd, and I will give it a try first with some sensor readings, then will start brainstorming with a friend on the haldex issue.
    g60leigh, Westy and StaceyS3 like this.
    Audi S3 8L

Status
    All ideas are welcome here. Be great to see your efforts.
    StaceyS3 likes this.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chris99 View Post
    I don't make it sound simple, it is. I am new into this as well, but as I said it's not hard. As the ideea came to my mind while reading the updates from here, felt that I had to share it here, maybe you can benefit from it.

Of course there is some coding there, but being an open source community, you can easily get code, libraries, help etc. The language is C++, I had some experience with it about 10 years ago, I will try and reintroduce myself in this world. Anyone else with basic programming skills is able to code this microcontroller.

The price they ask is justified only if they target to sell 2 or 3 pieces and get profit too
    Coding a text on LCD is less than 5 min job, then copy/paste for the other units, display is 4$, Arduino is about 18$, modules (shields) 10-25$, sensors about 15$ (temp, pressure or even triple-axis accelerometer), and loom.. lol.. few dollars.

Excuse me but still don't get why they ask for that price. I got the controller and some extra bits, still waiting for a power supply module and lcd, and I will give it a try first with some sensor readings, then will start brainstorming with a friend on the haldex issue.
    i hope to see some results with this as all the electronics part of it is over my head

So is anyone wanting to test the insert I made for free?
    FOR SALE

1st Gear

Status
    I'll test anything for free . What's the terms and conditions .only live in Oldham not too far from Leeds . I'm up for trading one trade for another .(i'm a industrial door engineer)
    Westy likes this.

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Ill pm you the details
    FOR SALE

1st Gear

Status
    Have I killed this thread .

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by audiholic ste View Post
    Have I killed this thread .
    We're waiting for your test results
    audiholic ste likes this.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Everybody is waiting... i bet everybody intrerested keeps checking the page haha
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I'm making the parts right now

ste is testing the insert and Gops it testing the adjustable mod when made
    FOR SALE

2nd Gear

Status
    I'm waiting patiently for it to be tested as i couldn't test myself

1st Gear

Status
    Hopefully it will be on the car soon been stuck in the big smoke working (hate London love the north ) coming home today maybe tomorrow just got to get the doors interlocking with the gates barriers and access equipment . It's all getting confusing shouldn't have drank so much last night

6th Gear

Status
    If any of the manufacturing is ever a hold up... i offer my services and machines FOC
    Westy, s3dave and audiholic ste like this.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Thank you

ive got it sorted as me and my work mate are machining them are self
    FOR SALE

6th Gear

Status
    No problems.
    Just im happy to help with these new ideas, to help keep the cost down for testing
    audiholic ste likes this.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast