50/50 haldex mod

Ok tbh I haven't checked the plug on the rear diff for signs of oil since changing the pump, but just didn't think it would be able to get through the pump plug on the controller and then through that to the rear. I found that thread when trying to diagnose my fault originally, it's a good thread :thumbsup:

A guy on the ASN track sessions today had a fully locked Haldex, he said it wheelhops when he corners at low speed, but it doesn't bother him, as it was what he was after!

Oh i wish i didnt read threads like this !
IF you have a problem with the haldex system... What are the symptoms?
Does it show on VAG COM?
I have the Blue controller fitted to the car, A stock working one in a box at home and one fitted to a full rear subframe/ diff i bought from a TT that ive decided it "dodgy" just because i dont know its history

Oh it will drift ok
Tried that a few times.
No vag com faults other than brake position switch ****** things gone again

Great news. Fair play to whoever sent it!! Really looking forward to this!

A guy on the ASN track sessions today had a fully locked Haldex, he said it wheelhops when he corners at low speed, but it doesn't bother him, as it was what he was after!

that would be me, i have the race controller which is engaged all the time and is still engaged under braking.

Reactions: Westy
Should receive it shortly! :) good thing I kept that! One thing I Want to do is open up the whole haldex! Mine isn't draining oil so ill swap it and dissect the old one!

How long have you been running this and how much better is it over standard?

Since February, unlike the standard and blue upgrade (I did have the normal blue upgrade too) controllers you don't feel the rears kicking in and out, you just feel it push you round the corner as the rears are always engaged. I never liked the feeling of it engaging as it always felt it was later than i wanted it to kick the rears in.

You can buy this controller from the TT shop if you phone them up, the one on their website is the competition upgrade, i have the race upgrade, both are made by BorgWarner (who own haldex).

Basically what i have is the hpa competition controller, at the bottom of this page explains it. HPA Motorsports Inc. - Big Brake Kits

In the UK the 2 upgrades they sell are competition (not toe be confused with hpa competition) and the race (same as hpa competition), these are both the same price.

Reactions: Whopper and Westy
4gdn.jpg

k2o4.jpg

Reactions: StaceyS3 and Andrew@A.L.D
Is there an easier way to tell without stripping it down Andrew?

Mine are the circlip type. Must be the difference in facelift to pre fl.
There are also esp and non esp controllers, wonder if thats the physical difference

I think the screw types are all preface lift

My old one was preface lift and was sold to someone with a facelift esp and was told my controller fixed his problem?

The difference from holding both units side by side is ones uses a metal gasket(per facelift) and one has a rubber seal, between the controller and actual Haldex.

The controller 02D900554C (which is listed under pre and post facelift) superceeded over to 02D900554D anyway so now there is only one. No options on ESP or not too.

The change over on the MK4 Golf from C to D was in 2003.

Reactions: Westy
Right guys to start with i'm going to make copies of the of the YHW insert and as soon as one is made i will give it to Gops

The YHW one give 50/50 right out of the box so i can make ones like that or one that increases torque to the rear but not the full 50/50

I'm also looking into electronics of the haldex and modifying the hydraulics with electronics to control the flow of the hydraulics to the diff

Complicated but i do have a few ideas in my head and designing them also

Reactions: TDIQ, phil miller, Gops and 7 others
The one joe gave me afterwards was pretty different.. Ill post a pic

The one on the right is the one I sent to Andrew.. The one on the left is the one I put in the car..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,083
So your car has had pre and post controller's fitted in its life gops?

He keeps lots of parts for his car..not on his car

Reactions: sssline, A3-Lee and jojo
The inserts will be soon but it will only be the ones with the cir clip ones first and not the screw in one as i've yet to get hold of one to measure up.

If i can get numbers i will do group buy on here maybe?

Reactions: phil miller
The inserts will be soon but it will only be the ones with the cir clip ones first and not the screw in one as i've yet to get hold of one to measure up.

If i can get numbers i will do group buy on here maybe?

Be nice to see some test results from a few cars before everyone goes wading in. I assume Gops will be able to comment shortly once he gets his controller back and onto his car?

So mines a 1999 s3 so pre facelift so it that cir clip ones