Running in new bottom end?

slowcoach3

Reaction score
My bottom end is being rebuilt next week with forged rods, new pistons, rings and all the bits and bobs. I have done a fair bit of reading up on the topic of running it in and there seems to be two totally opposite opinions: take it slowly and gentley or rag the **** off it! Anybody thats done it themselves I'd love to know what you did as I'd like it to be a reliable, strong engine and don't want to follow a guide written by some keyboard warrior who's only done it on forza...
Cheers

Thanks Karl, I'll sit down with a cuppa and give that a proper read. Going softly softly doesn't make much sense to me but this is my first time so want it done right!

this break in procedure is a bit hard to do when you build a new BT engine as you need to have the fueling right before you can abuse the motor.

Cheers Bill, I'll be following that to a T then :) Scullies, I have just read Bills post on remaps and paid particular attention to the bit about uprated actuators on generic maps, my turbo is up with Dan getting refurbed and whilst its not a hybrid it will be ever so slightly ported and will have an uprated actuator, I'm on a Revo map at the minute and I'm now worried about overboost and not having everything set up correctly! Might have to see if I can leave it on standard actuator to run it in then switch them over and run N75 unplugged on the way up to Bills.
Clearly hadn't thought this through very well :(

Cheers Bill, I'll be following that to a T then :) Scullies, I have just read Bills post on remaps and paid particular attention to the bit about uprated actuators on generic maps, my turbo is up with Dan getting refurbed and whilst its not a hybrid it will be ever so slightly ported and will have an uprated actuator, I'm on a Revo map at the minute and I'm now worried about overboost and not having everything set up correctly! Might have to see if I can leave it on standard actuator to run it in then switch them over and run N75 unplugged on the way up to Bills.
Clearly hadn't thought this through very well :(

just unplug the n75 electrically so it runs actuator pressure.. else with revo I predict bang!
it should run 12-15psi on dans uprated actuator so not much different to std map.. It is 3 TIMES MORe than the std one which is why your existing remap will boost to the moon, just before breaking something if n75 is left connected

That's that sorted then, makes sense when you look at it like that. Running it in on 12-15psi sounds a lot better than I was thinking, my boost gauge spikes to 24 anyway on revo so god only knows what it would end up at with a new actuator! Cars outside in bits at the minute so might do it now before I forget. Its going to be a month of actuator pressure mixed with 1.4 Ibiza daily, not much fun