Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By superkarl
  • 2 Post By <tuffty/>
  • 1 Post By <tuffty/>

Thread: HI

Reverse Gear

Status

Red face HI

Hey everyone. Im new to this forum and new to audi's in general but im looking for one now. I have just over a k to spend and was wondering should i go for the 1.8t or the 1.8tq?? Im going to be modifying this car and wondering if the quattro was worth the extra weight and money? Oh yeah does anybody want to buy a 2litre v6 misubishi fto lol

2. # ADS
    ADS

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Hi, just you wait for the replies to start flooding in, you'l see what i mean
    crazy88 likes this.

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Hi there and

You say you want to modify the car....in that case where would you want to take it terms of modifying? like bhp wise? What will the car be used for as well?
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi thanks for the quick response, just a daily fun driver around the 240 mark to begin with until i get bored or get a new car and then take it as far as it will go!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Read the stickies as there are several threads listed there that will give you info about mods and power upgrades...

If sticking to less than 300hp and a small turbo then a FWD A3 will prob be best... if planning a big turbo and higher power then go for a quatty...

<tuffty/>
    16Klappe and Gizmo20VT like this.
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisxtc View Post
    Hi thanks for the quick response, just a daily fun driver around the 240 mark to begin with until i get bored or get a new car and then take it as far as it will go!
    K03s would be near the limit on a standard turbo...

As Tuffty said above- have a read through the stickies and have a see for yourself; Audis aren't the cheapest cars to modify and maintain as well - so bare that in mind. There is a reason why they are getting this cheap tbh...
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers for the advice fella's the moneys not really a problem i was just looking for something cheep an cheerful as abit of a hobby an i know audi's are well made my friends got an a4 that's still going after 240k miles!! Ill go for the quattro then after all its better to have and not need than to need and not have!

3rd Gear

Status
    Stretch to the S3, they are silly cheap these days if your going for the 1.8TQS they are not that much extra either looking at the current market.

Both respond well to a good tune. Stage 1 (250-60bhp) for the cost of a remap, Stage 2 (260-280bhp) couple of grand depending on parts and map.
    2007 - Imola Yellow- Audi S3 - 305
    [8L BLOG] [8P BLOG]

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Jnr View Post
    Stretch to the S3 they are silly cheap these days if your going for the 1.8TQS they are not that much extra either looking at the current market.
    That would just doubled the OPs original amount of "just over a k to spend" lol

I agree though- go for an S3 if you can scrape together enough for one IMO. Will you be carrying out the modifying by yourself? Or will you be relying on a handy mechanic?
    2000 S3 APY

Reverse Gear

Status
    Now that's where the problem lies, i have only passed my driving test a year ago! That car in my pictures was my first car and i just cant afford to be paying £250 a month insurance and putting £450 a month petrol init (she was a thirsty b****) so the idea is to start off with something reasonably sensible and turn it into a monster over time plus being an engineer i like tinkering

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Not gonna get a very nice S3 for a grand tbh.... A3 quatty will be a nice 'stealth' project

<tuffty/>
    Paradox1 likes this.
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Don't buy an S3.

Buy an A3.

Forget tqs.

I'd rather die.

Need I say any more.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    At this age/ requirement /budget, the fwd 1.8T makes the most sense every time. It's just the more sensible choice, and the more interesting car to drive without a doubt.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    And considerably cheaper to insure than all of its 1.8t counterparts...

Total no brainer.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

4th Gear

Status
    A cheap S3 or TQS can quickly turn in to a money pit, so can a cheap A3 but there's less things to go wrong. They are fun cars as well, I loved mine, TQS suck as standard.
    S3 for the win if your prepared to throw a shed load at it
    Badger 5 tuned 340 bhp / 350 lbft sleeper

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Don't buy an S3.

Buy an A3.

Forget tqs.

I'd rather die.

Need I say any more.
    He is lying....

3rd Gear

Status
    hi
    came from a gpx fto my self. would not think ins and mpg is much less than the fto, anyway iv got the s3 and its a sh...t load beter than the fto.
    if you want to keep costs down id go for the a3 1.8 t.

cheers
    mark

Reverse Gear

Status
    I love my little FTO, Its only a gr with the tip box init i get about 20mpg driving around, slowly! and 30mpg long motorway drives plus i have been quoted 1000 a year less on insurance so its quite abit of a save! Thanks everyone anyway no doubt you will see me here more often with other silly questions!

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by chrisxtc View Post
    I love my little FTO, i get about 20mpg driving around, slowly! and 30mpg long motorway drives
    Definitely want to stay away from the S3 then if you want better mpg!

FWD A3 with a K03s sounds your best option.
    2000 S3 APY