HI

chrisxtc

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Im new to this forum and new to audi's in general but im looking for one now. I have just over a k to spend and was wondering should i go for the 1.8t or the 1.8tq?? Im going to be modifying this car and wondering if the quattro was worth the extra weight and money? Oh yeah does anybody want to buy a 2litre v6 misubishi fto lol

Hi there and :sign_welcome:

You say you want to modify the car....in that case where would you want to take it terms of modifying? like bhp wise? What will the car be used for as well?

Hi thanks for the quick response, just a daily fun driver around the 240 mark to begin with until i get bored or get a new car and then take it as far as it will go!

Read the stickies as there are several threads listed there that will give you info about mods and power upgrades...

If sticking to less than 300hp and a small turbo then a FWD A3 will prob be best... if planning a big turbo and higher power then go for a quatty...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: 16Klappe and Gizmo20VT
Hi thanks for the quick response, just a daily fun driver around the 240 mark to begin with until i get bored or get a new car and then take it as far as it will go!

K03s would be near the limit on a standard turbo...

As Tuffty said above- have a read through the stickies and have a see for yourself; Audis aren't the cheapest cars to modify and maintain as well - so bare that in mind. There is a reason why they are getting this cheap tbh...

Cheers for the advice fella's the moneys not really a problem i was just looking for something cheep an cheerful as abit of a hobby an i know audi's are well made my friends got an a4 that's still going after 240k miles!! Ill go for the quattro then after all its better to have and not need than to need and not have!

Stretch to the S3, they are silly cheap these days if your going for the 1.8TQS they are not that much extra either looking at the current market.

Both respond well to a good tune. Stage 1 (250-60bhp) for the cost of a remap, Stage 2 (260-280bhp) couple of grand depending on parts and map.

Stretch to the S3 they are silly cheap these days if your going for the 1.8TQS they are not that much extra either looking at the current market.

That would just doubled the OPs original amount of "just over a k to spend" lol

I agree though- go for an S3 if you can scrape together enough for one IMO. Will you be carrying out the modifying by yourself? Or will you be relying on a handy mechanic?

Now that's where the problem lies, i have only passed my driving test a year ago! That car in my pictures was my first car and i just cant afford to be paying £250 a month insurance and putting £450 a month petrol init (she was a thirsty b****) so the idea is to start off with something reasonably sensible and turn it into a monster over time plus being an engineer i like tinkering :)

Not gonna get a very nice S3 for a grand tbh.... A3 quatty will be a nice 'stealth' project :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Paradox1
Don't buy an S3.

Buy an A3.

Forget tqs.

I'd rather die.

Need I say any more.

At this age/ requirement /budget, the fwd 1.8T makes the most sense every time. It's just the more sensible choice, and the more interesting car to drive without a doubt.

And considerably cheaper to insure than all of its 1.8t counterparts...

Total no brainer.

A cheap S3 or TQS can quickly turn in to a money pit, so can a cheap A3 but there's less things to go wrong. They are fun cars as well, I loved mine, TQS suck as standard.
S3 for the win if your prepared to throw a shed load at it

hi
came from a gpx fto my self. would not think ins and mpg is much less than the fto, anyway iv got the s3 and its a sh...t load beter than the fto.
if you want to keep costs down id go for the a3 1.8 t.

cheers
mark

I love my little FTO, Its only a gr with the tip box init i get about 20mpg driving around, slowly! :) and 30mpg long motorway drives plus i have been quoted 1000 a year less on insurance so its quite abit of a save! Thanks everyone anyway no doubt you will see me here more often with other silly questions!

I love my little FTO, i get about 20mpg driving around, slowly! :) and 30mpg long motorway drives

Definitely want to stay away from the S3 then if you want better mpg!

FWD A3 with a K03s sounds your best option.