Volks AutosBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Prawn

Thread: Coolant setup for a big turbo

Down under

Status

Coolant setup for a big turbo

It's probably one for Andrew/Tuffty/Stacey/Scullies etc but what's the best solution for coolant lines, fittings wise for a big turbo 1.8T. I'm hopeing to run the surge housing (4" intake) and will be running a TSR setup.

I assume at least I need the AN adapters for the bulkhead (to run lines around the TIP as per Stacey) and possibly:
    - Coolant temp sensor housing with AN fitting (only seen billet ones?)
    - Hard line with AN fitting

I've seen a few bits here:
    // Machined Parts |

and Staceys post for reference:
    Stacey's Belated Yo Yo Build Thread

Any help appreciated!
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

2. # ADS
    ADS

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Everything standard on mine bar some metal water feed and return on the turbo, The fittings on the bulkhead have been swapped for 90 degree fittings rather than the 45 degree ones

On another note.. You have the same size compressor as mine and you may find it very tight with the turbo and bulkhead, I lowered my engine 10mm to get the turbo in.
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available
    FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats, None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Down under

Status
    I'm hoping that because the TSR sits the turbo a little lower than it should be ok? Bill setup an Ibiza using the TSR manifold and the bigger housing and I *think* it cleared? Could be slight differences I guess.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Stacey has uses AN type fittings for most of his normal coolant hoses but Bill will be using stainless banjos and hardlines (welded to the banjo's) for the turbo lines until well past the hot stuff... AN fittings on turbo CHRA's are next to useless (even VAG use stainless until out of reach of the hot stuff)... the flexi on the back of the block is PTFE based IIRC but essentially anything containing a rubber or plastic (AN fittings swivel and have plastic/rubber seals) will melt if within the radiant heat effect of hot stuff..

Block coolant line should be hardline off the block too... I made the mistake of using a small rubber (high pressure hydraulic) hose joiner on min and it burst on the dyno... G12 in a decent concentration is flammable... G12 sprayed onto the hot DP and caught fire... took two CO2 extinguishers and a water spray to quench it...

Do not underestimate heats ability to cook stuff... an air gap is not enough

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Down under

Status
    Cool thanks. I'm hoping I can find someone local to do the hard pipe sections (if it's not DIY-able?). I guess my concern is getting as much ready before the engine swap to avoid much downtime. The guy helping me with the build works alone and as such some timeframes get slightly "extended" shall we say.

Hoping to find out what I need to buy, parts wise. The AN fittings for the bulkhead might help but if there's a cheaper alternative, I'm all ears!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    On BT builds where the heater coolant pipes have got in the way of the comp housing we have used the fittings from other VAGs (90 deg ones for example) to shift the hose runs out the way... not sure what Stacey used but they look handy....

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    I introduced those bulkhead coolant fittings to a hacksaw blade
    Also have a 4" antisurge housing, and I have a brake booster in the way, so the coolant lines for the heater core are gone.
    I don't think I will ever be needing heat inside the car, that's a bonus of living here.

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    On BT builds where the heater coolant pipes have got in the way of the comp housing we have used the fittings from other VAGs (90 deg ones for example) to shift the hose runs out the way... not sure what Stacey used but they look handy....

<tuffty/>

VWVortex.com - OEM 90* heater core fitting
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available
    FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats, None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@A.L.D View Post
    Thats the fella... have used those

You can get the fitting separate though... not sure on the part number off hand but Bill has got them on the shelf IIRC...

<tuffty/>

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    Bill setup an Ibiza using the TSR manifold and the bigger housing and I *think* it cleared? Could be slight differences I guess.
    No dude..
    I dont use TSR anything on my ibiza .. Not sure why you thought that.

I have a Full Race Mani on mine I converted from T3 to Tial vband outlet..
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Down under

Status
    I didn't mean your Ibiza, I meant an Ibiza (customer car) but perhaps it was a Leon. It was a stroker? The name James rings a bell?
    Last edited by Sam_; 25th June 2013 at 23:18.

Down under

Status
    Cheers for the help all

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    90 degree heater bulkhead fittings standard on ko3 cars for reference chaps.
    16Klappe likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    I didn't mean your Ibiza, I meant an Ibiza (customer car) but perhaps it was a Leon. It was a stroker? The name James rings a bell?
    James, LCR stroker

<tuffty/>