Coolant setup for a big turbo

Sam_

Down under
Reaction score
It's probably one for Andrew/Tuffty/Stacey/Scullies etc but what's the best solution for coolant lines, fittings wise for a big turbo 1.8T. I'm hopeing to run the surge housing (4" intake) and will be running a TSR setup.

I assume at least I need the AN adapters for the bulkhead (to run lines around the TIP as per Stacey) and possibly:
- Coolant temp sensor housing with AN fitting (only seen billet ones?)
- Hard line with AN fitting

I've seen a few bits here:
// Machined Parts |

and Staceys post for reference:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...elated-yo-yo-build-thread-34.html#post1856810

Any help appreciated! :)

Everything standard on mine bar some metal water feed and return on the turbo, The fittings on the bulkhead have been swapped for 90 degree fittings rather than the 45 degree ones

On another note.. You have the same size compressor as mine and you may find it very tight with the turbo and bulkhead, I lowered my engine 10mm to get the turbo in.

I'm hoping that because the TSR sits the turbo a little lower than it should be ok? Bill setup an Ibiza using the TSR manifold and the bigger housing and I *think* it cleared? Could be slight differences I guess.

Stacey has uses AN type fittings for most of his normal coolant hoses but Bill will be using stainless banjos and hardlines (welded to the banjo's) for the turbo lines until well past the hot stuff... AN fittings on turbo CHRA's are next to useless (even VAG use stainless until out of reach of the hot stuff)... the flexi on the back of the block is PTFE based IIRC but essentially anything containing a rubber or plastic (AN fittings swivel and have plastic/rubber seals) will melt if within the radiant heat effect of hot stuff..

Block coolant line should be hardline off the block too... I made the mistake of using a small rubber (high pressure hydraulic) hose joiner on min and it burst on the dyno... G12 in a decent concentration is flammable... G12 sprayed onto the hot DP and caught fire... took two CO2 extinguishers and a water spray to quench it...

Do not underestimate heats ability to cook stuff... an air gap is not enough :)

<tuffty/>

Cool thanks. I'm hoping I can find someone local to do the hard pipe sections (if it's not DIY-able?). I guess my concern is getting as much ready before the engine swap to avoid much downtime. The guy helping me with the build works alone and as such some timeframes get slightly "extended" shall we say.

Hoping to find out what I need to buy, parts wise. The AN fittings for the bulkhead might help but if there's a cheaper alternative, I'm all ears!

On BT builds where the heater coolant pipes have got in the way of the comp housing we have used the fittings from other VAGs (90 deg ones for example) to shift the hose runs out the way... not sure what Stacey used but they look handy....

<tuffty/>

I introduced those bulkhead coolant fittings to a hacksaw blade :)
Also have a 4" antisurge housing, and I have a brake booster in the way, so the coolant lines for the heater core are gone.
I don't think I will ever be needing heat inside the car, that's a bonus of living here.

Bill setup an Ibiza using the TSR manifold and the bigger housing and I *think* it cleared? Could be slight differences I guess.

No dude..
I dont use TSR anything on my ibiza .. Not sure why you thought that.

I have a Full Race Mani on mine I converted from T3 to Tial vband outlet..

I didn't mean your Ibiza, I meant an Ibiza (customer car) but perhaps it was a Leon. It was a stroker? The name James rings a bell?

Last edited:
90 degree heater bulkhead fittings standard on ko3 cars for reference chaps.

Reactions: 16Klappe