Thinking about buying a Garret GT35 for my Audi 5v A3

duff duff

Reaction score
HI EVERY ONE IM CURRENTLY RUNNING A KD03'S THE MODS I HAVE CURRENTLY DONE IS FILTER PORTED AND POLISHED INLET MANIFOLD , AUDI TT INJECTORS STAGE 1 MAP AND A LIVE MAP, FULL STR8T THREW MILTEK WITH A 100 CELLCAT, SILICON PIPE'S IM NEW TO VAGS SO ITS ABIT OF A LEARNING CURVE.....WHAT ELS WOULD I NEED TO UPRATE FOR THE GT35 forge?

...roughly translated...

Hi every one I’m currently running a k03's the mods I have currently done is filter ported and polished inlet manifold , Audi TT injectors stage 1 map and a live map, full straight through miltek with a 100 cellcat, silicon pipe's.. I’m new to vags so it’s a bit of a learning curve.....what else would I need to uprate for the gt35 forge?

Please do not use CAPS in posts as this makes it difficult to read... regards <tuffty/>

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what you need

a-wad-of-cash-007.jpg

Please turn your caps lock off

Reactions: Vex182 and Sam_
This is what you need

a-wad-of-cash-007.jpg

and that just for the turbo, then you will need 4 times that stash for the other bits and pieces and then another 2x that stash for "ah damn, I forgot that" and "ooh that looks nice" bits :yes:

What year/model of A3 do you have for a start? makes a small difference in the approach.. also... GT35 on a FWD car (assuming this is what you have) is mostly useless on a road car as you won't be able to use any of it..

For that level of power (GT35 we are talking 600+ hp) you would require a fully built engine using ARP mains and head bolts, a built head using supertech valves and springs then custom DP, external gate (44mm Tial or simial) tubular manifold, 800-1000cc injectors, large intake manifold (SEM, Integrated Engineering or similar)... and a huge wad of cash... talking 4k for an engine build, 1.5k for the turbo, 1k for a decent exhaust manifold, 700-800 for an inlet, large intercooler (ironically you can use a welly cooler at 90 quid so probably the cheapest part of the build), 63mm charge pipework to name a few items... assuming FWD you would need an SQS gearbox (if you expect it to survive longer than 5mins) and a plate diff...

There is of course a load of other things you will need like inline fuel pumps, swirl pots, and of course much better brakes...

<tuffty/>

I spent over £1500+ on brakes alone

That doesn't surprise me 1 but tbh as new decent 6 pot kits with pads, discs, lines and carriers will cost that.

Close mate of mine paid about £2k for his 6 pot 380mm AP racing set up.

Same as suspension....could easily spend £1k on it and that's without including a full geo set up and fitting.

I'd say £1500+ was a conservative figure for it all to be done - and just for the parts.

I got everything ready for the big turbo first (suspension, engine mounts, 6 pot brakes etc), now it's the engine that's lacking :(

innit Aiii, Bruv.. ;)

lOl

In all seriousness tho..

2 Main Questions

Power Goal
Budget to achieve said goal.

Forget ALL mods you have listed as being a relevant start point for a GT35 setup.. You will be starting from Zero.

Big jump from a KO3 to a GT35.... At least he's got a polished inlet and some TT injectors to get started...:keule:

I think what you have and where you want to go is worlds apart! Your current spec would need to be built from scratch. Tuffty's post summarises it all tbh. And bills right, what's your goal and how deep are your pockets? If you have the cash, go for it!

People have the misconception that you buy the turbo and thats it silly bhp here we come,I have seen members come and go who have upped the power to over 400 and then sold up not long afterwards,so make sure you want this me personally I'd take smaller steps towards that power than as said a big jump.

This thread optimizes the need for a more thorough validation system.

Op posts a tunnel dream that he hasn't really done any research on, we all jump to tell him to rethink the validity of his pre-concieved ease at which he will bolt a GT35 to his A3 and how it might not be as easy as he thinks.

We never hear from the OP again.

This process could be shortened by a considerable amount.

The sort of people who fit GT turbos to 8L cars are generally quite clued up, so don't have to ask these blanket generalisation questions. Or they have pockets full of cash and a tuner who will build it for them.

Reactions: JudderMan
diddnt know it would be so expensie for the gt35r, currently got the k03's would it be more sensible to look for a k04 hybrid and the figure id like to be running is 300bhp and ive got around £3,500 could push to 4 got an r32 doner car for the brakes so im alright for them...just need a list of mods that will see me 300hp

You essentially want to do a K04 hybrid conversion then for a decent 300hp...

<tuffty/>

You've just gone from a GT35 to a k04 hybrid?

I think you need to decide what you really want from the car to be honest. Eitherway you need to do some research and find what conversion is best for you. its going to cost a lot anyway.

Basically use the search bar at the top....research what you will need to reach your goal and price it all up.

Its been discussed numerous of times....maybe not in all one thread- but everything is in this forum and what your asking is not new or unique. Unfortunately we don't really have the time and patience to spoon feed you the whole way to 300bhp....you do have to put a little work in yourself ;-)

I think you would be there or thereabouts with 4 bags.... Dependant on who's doin the spanner work....

diddnt know it would be so expensie for the gt35r, currently got the k03's would it be more sensible to look for a k04 hybrid and the figure id like to be running is 300bhp and ive got around £3,500 could push to 4 got an r32 doner car for the brakes so im alright for them...just need a list of mods that will see me 300hp

make your mind up on power goals..
one hell of a swing from GT35 to now wanting 300bhp.

{sighs}

Duff, dont listen to them. Big turbo is easy business. this is what you need to do

build a forged engine that can survive high rpm, like 8500 - 9000rpm
bolt a manifold on
bolt a turbo on to the manifold
bolt a downpipe onto the turbo
bolt on a nice clutch
fit a large fmic with charge pipe
slap a turbo intake pipe on
fit a high flow fuel pump
pop some big injectors in
install a water/meth kit
heat shield everything
fill up the fluids
get a custom map

enjoy your new 600+hp thats gonna kill twin turbo lambos all day everyday!

I think thats all you need, but just to make sure check these builds out.

All time favorite
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/76389-my-minor-modding-thread.html

Almost finished project
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/148639-staceys-belated-yo-yo-build-thread.html

Monster S3
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/84984-lets-get-then-my-2-1-conversion.html

Project go-slow
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/176791-audi-s3-stroker-big-turbo-build.html

there are others too

Scullies, you have far too much time on your hand in Dubai! Lol

Il offer you some superb consumer advice.

Go on ebay, type in gt35 turbo, buy the cheapest one available. Then type in t3 manifold, buy the cheapest available, then type in wastegate, again, cheapest one available. Fit them, take the car to an exhaust place, then, when its all fitted, take it to a tuning genius like jabbasport or something, and say turn the boost up on that bad boy...

Done.

Reactions: 16Klappe
Is it really that easy Karl? I might give it a go.

Has anybody done this before?

I heard you can run that setup on standard rods?

I heard you can run that setup on standard rods?

Going by that principle, then clearly the Forge Split R Dump Valve is the best DV to go with this set up

Reactions: JudderMan
You lot are all misguiding and you know nothing about modifying cars. Ignore everything these muppets have said as your car wont last 5 minutes.

all you really need is this

Fake Turbo

Bottom line

Reactions: 16Klappe and kwistof
You lot are all misguiding and you know nothing about modifying cars. Ignore everything these muppets have said as your car wont last 5 minutes.

all you really need is this

Fake Turbo

Bottom line

That's the best kept secret in motorsport and you go and give the details out on a public forum....how dare you.

That's going to put the majority of our site sponsors out of business now- that's it ASN is finished.....

ps That item goes very well with this modification -
Akamoto - Flaming Exhausts - Exhaust Flamers

Reactions: Paradox1