• 1 Post By superkarl
  • 1 Post By kwistof
  • 2 Post By Paradox1
  • 1 Post By kwistof

Thread: Thinking about buying a Garret GT35 for my Audi 5v A3

Reverse Gear

Status

Thinking about buying a Garret GT35 for my Audi 5v A3

HI EVERY ONE IM CURRENTLY RUNNING A KD03'S THE MODS I HAVE CURRENTLY DONE IS FILTER PORTED AND POLISHED INLET MANIFOLD , AUDI TT INJECTORS STAGE 1 MAP AND A LIVE MAP, FULL STR8T THREW MILTEK WITH A 100 CELLCAT, SILICON PIPE'S IM NEW TO VAGS SO ITS ABIT OF A LEARNING CURVE.....WHAT ELS WOULD I NEED TO UPRATE FOR THE GT35 forge?

...roughly translated...

Hi every one I’m currently running a k03's the mods I have currently done is filter ported and polished inlet manifold , Audi TT injectors stage 1 map and a live map, full straight through miltek with a 100 cellcat, silicon pipe's.. I’m new to vags so it’s a bit of a learning curve.....what else would I need to uprate for the gt35 forge?

Please do not use CAPS in posts as this makes it difficult to read... regards <tuffty/>
    Last edited by <tuffty/>; 23rd June 2013 at 15:10.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    This is what you need

Please turn your caps lock off
    Sam_ and Vex182 like this.
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available

FOR SALE
    None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@A.L.D View Post
    This is what you need

and that just for the turbo, then you will need 4 times that stash for the other bits and pieces and then another 2x that stash for "ah damn, I forgot that" and "ooh that looks nice" bits

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    There is £8k in that picture and would say that would do it

FOR SALE
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    What year/model of A3 do you have for a start? makes a small difference in the approach.. also... GT35 on a FWD car (assuming this is what you have) is mostly useless on a road car as you won't be able to use any of it..

For that level of power (GT35 we are talking 600+ hp) you would require a fully built engine using ARP mains and head bolts, a built head using supertech valves and springs then custom DP, external gate (44mm Tial or simial) tubular manifold, 800-1000cc injectors, large intake manifold (SEM, Integrated Engineering or similar)... and a huge wad of cash... talking 4k for an engine build, 1.5k for the turbo, 1k for a decent exhaust manifold, 700-800 for an inlet, large intercooler (ironically you can use a welly cooler at 90 quid so probably the cheapest part of the build), 63mm charge pipework to name a few items... assuming FWD you would need an SQS gearbox (if you expect it to survive longer than 5mins) and a plate diff...

There is of course a load of other things you will need like inline fuel pumps, swirl pots, and of course much better brakes...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    ...and of course a custom map

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Down under

Status
    Probably a girdle and billet mains too for those sorts of rpms?
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Clutch, gearbox, cams, head work, Throttle body, etc etc

FOR SALE

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Have a read here -

Lots of Big Turbo and High Power info!

Unless you can fit a lot of the stuff yourself then it will become extremely expensive tbh- and as touched upon above by tuffty- it's all very well having a 5-600bhp engine, but the rest of the car would definitely need upgrading; suspension, bushes, brakes, engine mounts - so all of that is easily an extra £1500+
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I spent over £1500+ on brakes alone

FOR SALE

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@A.L.D View Post
    I spent over £1500+ on brakes alone
    That doesn't surprise me 1 but tbh as new decent 6 pot kits with pads, discs, lines and carriers will cost that.

Close mate of mine paid about £2k for his 6 pot 380mm AP racing set up.

Same as suspension....could easily spend £1k on it and that's without including a full geo set up and fitting.

I'd say £1500+ was a conservative figure for it all to be done - and just for the parts.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

Down under

Status
    I got everything ready for the big turbo first (suspension, engine mounts, 6 pot brakes etc), now it's the engine that's lacking
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Dear op, where did you buy this 'STR8T THREW' miltek? Is this a limited edition model? What does the name mean?

RIP S3dave

Status
    innit Aiii, Bruv..

lOl

In all seriousness tho..

2 Main Questions

Power Goal
    Budget to achieve said goal.

Forget ALL mods you have listed as being a relevant start point for a GT35 setup.. You will be starting from Zero.
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

...It's Never Finished...

Status
    Big jump from a KO3 to a GT35.... At least he's got a polished inlet and some TT injectors to get started...

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    I think what you have and where you want to go is worlds apart! Your current spec would need to be built from scratch. Tuffty's post summarises it all tbh. And bills right, what's your goal and how deep are your pockets? If you have the cash, go for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

Status
    People have the misconception that you buy the turbo and thats it silly bhp here we come,I have seen members come and go who have upped the power to over 400 and then sold up not long afterwards,so make sure you want this me personally I'd take smaller steps towards that power than as said a big jump.

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    This thread optimizes the need for a more thorough validation system.

Op posts a tunnel dream that he hasn't really done any research on, we all jump to tell him to rethink the validity of his pre-concieved ease at which he will bolt a GT35 to his A3 and how it might not be as easy as he thinks.

We never hear from the OP again.

This process could be shortened by a considerable amount.

The sort of people who fit GT turbos to 8L cars are generally quite clued up, so don't have to ask these blanket generalisation questions. Or they have pockets full of cash and a tuner who will build it for them.
    JudderMan likes this.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

Down under

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    This thread optimizes the need for a more thorough validation system.
    You mean something difficult to crack like "spell 'through'..."
    16Klappe likes this.

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    You mean something difficult to crack like "spell 'through'..."
    How about forcing people to explain the difference between 'Bought' and 'Brought'?
    16Klappe and superkarl like this.
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made
    > Clio v6 255 (05) - Lethal Weapon

View: My S3 diary

Reverse Gear

Status
    diddnt know it would be so expensie for the gt35r, currently got the k03's would it be more sensible to look for a k04 hybrid and the figure id like to be running is 300bhp and ive got around £3,500 could push to 4 got an r32 doner car for the brakes so im alright for them...just need a list of mods that will see me 300hp

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    You essentially want to do a K04 hybrid conversion then for a decent 300hp...

<tuffty/>

6th Gear

Status
    You've just gone from a GT35 to a k04 hybrid?

I think you need to decide what you really want from the car to be honest. Eitherway you need to do some research and find what conversion is best for you. its going to cost a lot anyway.
    Word!!!

My A3/Martys Golf would smash that, and this guys £7000 GT9743 supercharged love machine.

Status

My Social Networking

Basically use the search bar at the top....research what you will need to reach your goal and price it all up.

Its been discussed numerous of times....maybe not in all one thread- but everything is in this forum and what your asking is not new or unique. Unfortunately we don't really have the time and patience to spoon feed you the whole way to 300bhp....you do have to put a little work in yourself ;-)
    2000 S3 APY

...It's Never Finished...

Status
    I think you would be there or thereabouts with 4 bags.... Dependant on who's doin the spanner work....

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by duff duff View Post
    diddnt know it would be so expensie for the gt35r, currently got the k03's would it be more sensible to look for a k04 hybrid and the figure id like to be running is 300bhp and ive got around £3,500 could push to 4 got an r32 doner car for the brakes so im alright for them...just need a list of mods that will see me 300hp
    make your mind up on power goals..
    one hell of a swing from GT35 to now wanting 300bhp.

{sighs}
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

5th Gear

Status
    Duff, dont listen to them. Big turbo is easy business. this is what you need to do

build a forged engine that can survive high rpm, like 8500 - 9000rpm
    bolt a manifold on
    bolt a turbo on to the manifold
    bolt a downpipe onto the turbo
    bolt on a nice clutch
    fit a large fmic with charge pipe
    slap a turbo intake pipe on
    fit a high flow fuel pump
    pop some big injectors in
    install a water/meth kit
    heat shield everything
    fill up the fluids
    get a custom map

enjoy your new 600+hp thats gonna kill twin turbo lambos all day everyday!

I think thats all you need, but just to make sure check these builds out.

All time favorite
    My minor modding thread

Almost finished project
    Stacey's Belated Yo Yo Build Thread

Monster S3
    Lets get it on then, My 2.1 conversion

Project go-slow
    Audi S3 - Stroker Big Turbo build.

there are others too

Status

My Social Networking

Scullies, you have far too much time on your hand in Dubai! Lol
    2000 S3 APY

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Il offer you some superb consumer advice.

Go on ebay, type in gt35 turbo, buy the cheapest one available. Then type in t3 manifold, buy the cheapest available, then type in wastegate, again, cheapest one available. Fit them, take the car to an exhaust place, then, when its all fitted, take it to a tuning genius like jabbasport or something, and say turn the boost up on that bad boy...

Done.
    16Klappe likes this.

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Is it really that easy Karl? I might give it a go.

Has anybody done this before?
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    It really is, and cheap too!
    16Klappe likes this.

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    I heard you can run that setup on standard rods?
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Gops View Post
    I heard you can run that setup on standard rods?
    Going by that principle, then clearly the Forge Split R Dump Valve is the best DV to go with this set up
    JudderMan likes this.
    2000 S3 APY

6th Gear

Status
    You lot are all misguiding and you know nothing about modifying cars. Ignore everything these muppets have said as your car wont last 5 minutes.

all you really need is this

Fake Turbo

Bottom line
    16Klappe and kwistof like this.
    Word!!!

My A3/Martys Golf would smash that, and this guys £7000 GT9743 supercharged love machine.

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    You lot are all misguiding and you know nothing about modifying cars. Ignore everything these muppets have said as your car wont last 5 minutes.

all you really need is this

Fake Turbo

Bottom line
    That's the best kept secret in motorsport and you go and give the details out on a public forum....how dare you.

That's going to put the majority of our site sponsors out of business now- that's it ASN is finished.....

ps That item goes very well with this modification -
    Akamoto - Flaming Exhausts - Exhaust Flamers
    Paradox1 likes this.
    2000 S3 APY

6th Gear

Status
    ahhhhh sick!!

Im going to buy both of them when I get my dole money
    Word!!!