1.8 t quattro or S3?

alexjonas

Reaction score
Website
www.talkaudio.co.uk
What would you do? atm i want a audi a3 1.8 t quattro. all was fine untill i found out that when i'm 20 (in march) i could insure an S3 for the same price as a 1.8 t quattro would cost me now.

but atm i am not driving and have to rely on my dad to take me to work and back. he is quite happy to do this but it's still abit gay for him.

so what would you do? wait untill march and get an S3 or get a 1.8 t quattro and drive about now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Buy something really cheap just to get you to work untill march then get the S3???

i did think of that tbh but the main reason that puts me off is that if i do buy something really cheap then reliability could be an issue, especially over these winter months.

True, but if you get the a3 - come march you will probably wish you had waited and got an S3. Nothing against an a3 but thats how i would feel.
If you get something cheap and it does break down, sounds like you can still get a lift into work ok.
I would take that risk, but thats just my opinion.

Wait and get the S3. You will regret it if you don't.

I test drove a 1.8t quattro before the S3. Needless to say I went with the S3.

If you have the option wait for the S3. As Marc says if it's a choice between the 2 you'll regret it if you don't.

Regards,

B.

Buy the A3 and trade it for the S3 in the spring, problem solved /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
It may take longer to find your ideal S3 than you think

I had the option of buying the 1.8T quattro first (which is how i came about this site when doing research on the car) off my mums friend who drives like miss daisy and treated her car like a palace. I drove the car and thought wow...this is the car for me. 180BHP 4 wheel drive (210 when chipped). Cool. So i came up here to read up on what to look out for when buying an A3 1.8TQ, and ended up reading up on the S3 (in particular Glen's S3) and well i now drive an S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (although mine is of the faster black variety! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Good things come to those who wait. March is not too far away. You won't be able to 'enjoy' which ever car you bought safely with all the salt, grit, ice on the roads for the next few months anyway.

Also I am sure your dad is not thinking its gay to drive you to work. Put it to him that you would rather wait till march to buy the car you want (the S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) and that if he minds driving you to work, you'll get a car with 4 months MOT to take you up till then, otherwise enjoy the lift /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and repay the favour to him when you get your S3.

Cheers

Well ive got a A3 Q turbo and i am more than happy with it. Personally i would look for one with leather as it looks the dogs imo, also i find cars with leather easier to sell on. I bought my QT last year for about £4000 cheaper than an S3 but i have spent around £1500 getting it how i would like it. The best thing i did was have a revo remap. You can get this done for £400 now and will increase the bhp to around 207 the biggest increase you get is is in torque. Which is more than the standard S3. I am a big fan of the S3 and the fact you can chip it up to 260bhp it just depends what you want from the car, either way you won't be disappointed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I tested the A3 1.8TQ and the S3 one after the other and needless to say I bought the S3, now on my second one....

Lots of reliable cheap run-around cars out there, they're just not going to be fast, that way you can get the right fast car for you without feeling rushed.

S3 all the way, get one now and get your dad to insure it to take you to work in he might not mind as much then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Agree with most parties on here, S3... nuff said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's got to be said, the S3 to me, seems to be more common than the 1.8T Quattro. The list price for the 1.8TQ was pretty hefty when new, and when specced with full leather and Xenons, wasn't a mile a mile apart from a new standard S3 with all the toys, might aswell have paid the extra for the wider body, extra power etc.

this can't be a serious question? (only joking)

man, just wait!! get the s3 as soon as the weather gets better on your bithday. You know you'll regret it otherwise.

plus, your more likely to stack your 1.8T during the honeymoon period in the snow.

[ QUOTE ]
You won't be able to 'enjoy' which ever car you bought safely with all the salt, grit, ice on the roads for the next few months anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on Ian that's the whole point of the quattro gubbins, I look forward to the worse weather makes driving more fun! In my opinion of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I find in the dry it's very difficult to get anywhere near the limit of grip safely on public roads.

babble over... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

PS. I think you'll end up regretting it everytime you see an S3 if you don't wait and get one!