How to : View and control VCDS on iPad screen

Scullies

Reaction score
I have been geeking out today. I have always wanted VCDS to work on my iPad and today I have managed to find a way to view and control VCDS from my iPad screen.

There are 2 ways to link your iPad to your PC, so this it the first way.

Connect over router wifi

What you need for this type of connection
1 - Laptop with VCDS - Im running windows 7 PRO
2 - Ipad - I have an iPad2
3 - A wifi connection - your home wifi router
4 - iDisplay APP and PC software

Getting started
Load the app and programs on your iPad and PC. Now you ready to connect.

Start off by disabling your firewall for the period you plan to use the app - you can also add the iDisplay program to your firewall rules

Choose the amount of time you want to disable the firewall protection

Start the iDisplay on your PC and take not of the ip address and port.

Now start the app on your iPad. Take note of the ip address and port on the app. If its not the same as the PC you won't be able to connect the two together.

If all goes well your iPad screen will display your PC desktop.

You can then control the cursor on the iPad screen with the PC mouse or use the iPad touch screen.
Double click/tap VCDS icon

A video showing how to use the iPad screen to control VCDS

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 16Klappe, Sam_ and Sandra
Option 2

Using a virtual router on your PC - this is handy for when you are in your car and away from a wifi router.
If you have another type of mobile wifi hotspot that your iPad and PC can connect to, you should be able to use that instead of the virtual router setup.

Connect over wifi - virtual router

What you need for this type of connection
1 - Laptop with VCDS - Im running windows 7 PRO
2 - Ipad - I have an iPad2
3 - Virtual router manager - Virtual Router - Wifi Hot Spot for Windows 8, Windows 7 and 2008 R2 - Home
4 - iDisplay APP and PC software

Install all the software needed.

If you are connected to wifi - disconnect first.

Now you can start the virtual router

Then disable your firewall for the period you plan to use the app - you can also add the iDisplay program to your firewall rules

Start the iDisplay on your PC and take not of the ip address and port.

Now connect your iPad to the virtual router wifi - This will be the same name and password that you enter on the PC when you start virtual router manager.

Now start the app on your iPad. Take note of the ip address and port on the app. If its not the same as the PC you won't be able to connect the two together.

If you get this screen popup, you likely have the wrong ip or port

If all goes well your iPad screen will display your PC desktop.

You can then control the cursor on the iPad screen with the PC mouse or use the iPad touch screen.
Double click/tap VCDS icon

A video showing how to use the iPad screen to control VCDS

Last edited by a moderator:
But you still need your laptop to be in the car and connected to your VCDS cable and to the obd port.

Yes you do, with this you can have the laptop closed and put away while its running VCDS. Then have the iPad mounted on the dash so you can see the logs nice and big while you drive.

This setup its mainly for reading logs while you drive.

Yeah, have been watching that. Lets hope they launch it later this year.
It seems to be the same principle as I have, where you connect you mobile device to the obd2 dongle that is running the program.
we can only wait and see.