New Boy! First time buyer for A3 1.8T What to look out for??

lmiller

Reaction score
Hello all,

It's my 1st post, I did look at sticky and try a few searches but couldn't find the info I was after (probably not looked well enough... sorry in advance)

I'm currently looking into buying an A3 1.8T 150bhp looking for one betweed 2000-2003 in age preferably. Now i've owned a Leon Cupra R 225 so know a little bit. Ideally I would like to know the main things to look out for when prchasing the A3??

Also I would like to remap it for the little extra oomphhhh as 150 is fair but just not quite enough after the 265 my LCR had ;) Can they handle a map well, any clutch issues and also are they Dual mass?? I Would Be happy with 190bhp ish mark.

Thanks in advance!

Lewis

Welcome.

Read this - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...info-stickies-please-read-before-posting.html

Then this - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ations-k03-k03s-agu-aum-engines-fwd-cars.html

You didn't search at all.

It is the same engine as the LCR inside. So you can do all the same things to an A3 as you say you had on your LCR if want too. Your target BHP is easily achievable on the stock turbo of a facelift car, you could go up to a K04 for not much cost. In fact it is a little bit low. A stage 1 mapped A3 will be around 10 bh/ton less than your 265bhp Leon. So power wise you won't feel too left out.

Yes they are dual mass, an 02J single mass conversion is available. Details on how to sack that rubbish off are in the thread above.

Buying an A3 should be the same process as you did for your LCR, after all they aren't all that different.

Why have you got rid of an LCR and gone backwards into an A3? Seems very odd. Got any pics?

My apologies.. In my defence I was on a 12hour night... maybe I wasn't on the ball.

Well thanks for your reply.. I had a feeling I would be looking at the same issue roughly. I was wondering more about the car itself I.e rust problems.. leaks.. bad suspension etc. I will look through the above links and have a read at work tonight.

As for my LCR me and the mrs had to go down to 1 car as it was getting too expensive because she wasnt working as we had a little one. Unfortunantly the LCR had to go as the insurance was mega if I tried adding her. Now a year later insurance is resonable on an a3 but not an lcr plus I quite like them.

Heres a photo.. not the best

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371473948992.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371473948992.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 101
Leaks weren't ever a problem like LC's, biggest issue is rusting roof rails, rusty boot plynths, rusty door bottoms and rust in front of the rear arches.

Some rust like ****.

Some are immaculate.

Some rust like ****.

Some are immaculate.

Mines immaculate (from 30 metres away)

Then when you're about 3 inches away you will notice all of the battle scars she's picked up! lol

Still better than a leaky car IMO :) lol

Same as the LCR in terms of things to look out for really- e.g split PVC and other breather hoses under the bonnet, worn out bushes from the suspension, and as Jardo said the bubbling of paint and start of rust.

Also check that the car has been regularly service (6-9k miles) rather than the long life service of around 12k.