S3 losing boost

bigpapasmurf

Reaction score
So im pretty sure my S3 is losing boost, it's nowhere near as nippy as it was and there's a hissing noise that wasn't there before. How difficult is it to trace a leak? Are there 5 million places it could happen from?!? :p

Probably more than 5 million places dude :)

Start to check with the big major bits if the hissing sound is that obvious

Make sure all the clamps are well tightned. If you don't find anything obvious, you would have to do a boost leak test/smoke test

Thanks for the advice guys. It all started when I fitted a badger5 TIP. Think I might have pulled/tweaked something. Are there weak links in and around that area?

find someone with a smoke tester.. best £20 you could spend is in finding leaks efficiently and thoroughly

Its the newer version without the turned alloy bit, should be less prone to leaking and to be honest its not that, as the OEM one is back on to eliminate the B5 TIP being a problem, which it wasnt. I'll have a look and see who has a smoke tester in my area Bill, dont fancy a trip up to sunny Scotland do you :happy:

Sorry to derail slightly...

Is the v2.2 tip known to leak? I was looking at doing the whole induction kit and was torn between that or the v3.

V3 all the way one piece so its easier to fit :)

Is the v2.2 tip known to leak? I was looking at doing the whole induction kit and was torn between that or the v3.

Only way it would leak is if its not fitted properly... have seen this on a few cars that have come in where sealant wasn't properly applied.. there is a fitting guide in the FAQ sticky thread...

<tuffty/>

nope. they dont leak.
not to say any pipe not fitted properly cant leak, but thats user errro 100%
V3 is simpler if the billet seems daunting (not that it is)
many 100's of these out there working 100%.

If in doubt get it installed by someone who is competant.

Pipes which can be disturbed during removal of your old (likely rotten) tip, will be associated with the oil breather PCV pipes, which are the main ones which rot and split. disturbing them can open up little splits into big **** tears.. Vacuum leaks and boost leaks and malfunctioning pcv systems as a consequence.. Very common on all 1.8t models. Easy to fix however..

smoke test ftw in finding these leaks also..