Cheap/easy suspension refresh

grumbas

Reaction score
My S3 is nudging 150k and I think still on it's original shocks - I've known the car since 85k and owned it since 100k and they've not been done in that time. It's starting to feel a bit uncontrolled over the bumps so time for new shocks I think...

I know the default answer to this is H&R/B8s but adding in the tie bars and fitting there's not going to be much change from £1500 which is a bit rich.

So any recommendations for direct swaps with the OEM shocks, I've spotted Koni STR.Ts at around £325 for all 4 corners which look a good bet - anyone running these?

Any other suggestions?

I'm literally in the exact same boat. Was thinking of a set of Boge/Sachs Oem shocks with a new set of factory height springs. The STR.T shocks look like great value, but I'm really after a factory quality ride. Sucks being all the way in Australia as shipping for these sorts of items is generally horrendous.

Last edited:
The B12 Pro kit (B8's and Eibachs) can be had for £580ish with the right negotiation, and the handling and rie comfort are pretty proven now. I did a full change out of suspension here: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/176369-new-year-new-suspension.html and it came in at £1300 + plus alignment charges, but I did change pretty much every bush & bolt at the same time and replaced all the ball joints / rod ends....

Food for thought, I'm seriously torn whether I want to throw money at mine and refesh/improve it given it's age/mileage, buy a newer one to keep for ages, or splash out on an 8P S3!

I am looking at Jamex coilovers as they are cheap and the review on the forum seems to be quite good?

Hi,I'm new on here and haven't properly introduced myself yet,but today I have just fitted an AP shocks and spring kit to my 2000 S3 and lets just say the car is totally transformed and all for £290 from Damien at DPM.

Hi,I'm new on here and haven't properly introduced myself yet,but today I have just fitted an AP shocks and spring kit to my 2000 S3 and lets just say the car is totally transformed and all for £290 from Damien at DPM.

+1 for AP.. 2 month on and still good. Standard suspension was ruined on mine at 143k every damper didn't rebound.

I'd say at that miles, even OEM shocks & poly bushes will transform that car!