Newbie - sticky gears on my A3, please help

Massey127

Reaction score
I have just bought a 98 A3 1.8T Sport, car is superb although it can be difficult to get into reverse, 1st & 2nd gears! From 3rd gear up all slip in fine.
Can anybody please help and advise me as to what could possibly be causing this?
Thanks in advance

Found my old one went like this. Is the pedal on the heavy side, and the biting point high-ish?

After I changed the clutch to the G60 fly/VR6 clutch assembly it was spot on.

Found the clutch itself was basically down to the rivets, so proper worn.

Thanks Nick 101 for your reply.
Do you think it's definitely the clutch? I wouldn't say the bite is high but I do feel a slight vibration when holding clutch pedal in.?!
After changing your clutch did the stickiness go away?
What about Gearbox oil, gear selector etc anything like that possible?

Well the symptoms you have got are similar to mine, which then went when I changed my clutch/flywheel.

The vibration through the pedal is probably the dual mass set up on its way out.

I checked the linkages/selector first which was fine, and changed the oil, which didnt change anything.

I can't say for sure it's the same with you car, but it does sound similar. Hope this helps.

Pretty sure you can get the car on the ramps, give it a little rev and get someone in the know to see if there's any play on the DMF.

Mine went late last year and made a terrible noise on idle...but with the clutch fully down it went away.

Thanks for your help guys.
Finally got it sorted I left it with a very knowledgeable mechanic this morning as he was fully booked up til now.
The problem was just that the linkages needed adjusted under the bonnet.
10 minutes later all was perfect and still is.
Makes such a difference and can finally enjoy driving the car.

Thanks again

hi
im having same trouble with my recently purchased 99 8l 1.8t reverse is practically impossible to get and even first is a bit notchy, car has 121k on the clock so dont know the clutch condition but no sound difference when ds epressing whilst in neutral.
hope its just a quick fix!