s3 8l compression issues

rob fulham4eva

Reaction score
so took my s3 for a run on monday night(spirited driving) as i put my foot down there it seemed a little hesitant so pulled over checked under the bonnet all was fine and idle was perfect so set of again no problems what so ever and on my way home it started misfiring and was struggling badly to get me home.

ive changed the coilpacks for new ones and the spark plugs also new(i did notice on inspection that the piece that goes around the electrode was loose and close to coming off in cyl 2) and this did nothing.
i then did a diagnostic test and nothing came up
and then a compression test (not good)

1 150
2 20
3 150
4 150

ive checked the oil level(no change) also changed 3 months ago
the coolant(no loss but a more darker pink)

i have had problems with coilpacks recently and it always been cyl 2
so when i did the diagnostic test i gave it a little rev i noticed smoke and condensation coming up from the oil cap and there was smoke from somewhere else couldnt tell as i was behind the wheel.

so i have 3 ideas
cylinder head crack
headgasket
bottom end

its a 225bhp model with a custom code stage 1 remap 255 bhp

ill probably strip it down tomorrow but i just want peoples opinions before that.
cheers(sorry about length of post)

could be anything, burnt valve, weak gasket, cracked head, damage to piston crown, it needs to be stripped and inspected :)

Don't rule out a bent rod either... get cyl 3 to TDC, use a long thin stick or similar and poke it down the plug hole and measure how much it pokes up... then plonk it into cy 2... if its lower its a bent rod...

<tuffty/>