A3 engine rebuild

Grale1

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm after a bit of advice really, I have an a3 agu which has just turned to 160,000 miles on the clock. Now I'm not sure if this is high mileage or not and don't really know how long these engines go on for tbh and now a change in my work is meaning that I will have to keep this car for a while longer with all it's gremlins and all.

but what I want to know is now its at 160,000 does it need a rebuild? Never having had anything like that done on any car I've owned what would need to be done. Or would it not be worth it? I don't really know how the car has been looked after before I bought it, I had the oil changed 2000 miles ago and I will be servicing it in the next week or two, I had the cam belt changed around 15k ago ( 2 years ago ). Would just good servicing be good enough for the time I plan on keeping the car which would prob be 1-2 years when I plan to get an s3.

thanks for any help in advance

simon

Prawns old engine went on for over 200k before he decided to build one that was more suitable for the needs of his car...

Generally speaking if the oil is changed regularly (6-9k miles) with fully synth 5w40 then they tend to go on for ever...

Really becomes subjective as its hugely dependant on how well its been treated in the past... not just servicing but level of tune, style of driving, town, motorway etc...

Common issues will be worn rings, hard rubber gaskets (leaking oil), tired oil pumps and blocked pickups, worn valve guides etc... the engines are cheap enough to buy and also not to bad to rebuild (unless going stroker lol)

Keep up the oil changes and all should be good for the next few years assuming there is not any excessive breathing through the PCV then all should be good...

Prob worth dropping the sump and consider replacing the oil pump (around 40 quid) and pickup (around 15 quid) as a general precaution

<tuffty/>

Cool cheers guys, I shall get the stumped dropped as soon as I can and replace those bits for safe guarding, and just keep up with oil changes etc. to be fair it doesn't go through a lot of oil but always good to replace like you've said. And I'll keep an eye out for any blue/grey coloured smoke