Chris NottEM Tuning
    3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Grale1 on Facebook

A3 engine rebuild

Hi guys,

I'm after a bit of advice really, I have an a3 agu which has just turned to 160,000 miles on the clock. Now I'm not sure if this is high mileage or not and don't really know how long these engines go on for tbh and now a change in my work is meaning that I will have to keep this car for a while longer with all it's gremlins and all.

but what I want to know is now its at 160,000 does it need a rebuild? Never having had anything like that done on any car I've owned what would need to be done. Or would it not be worth it? I don't really know how the car has been looked after before I bought it, I had the oil changed 2000 miles ago and I will be servicing it in the next week or two, I had the cam belt changed around 15k ago ( 2 years ago ). Would just good servicing be good enough for the time I plan on keeping the car which would prob be 1-2 years when I plan to get an s3.

thanks for any help in advance

simon
    A3 1.8t AGU, fk ak street coilovers, silicone tip, silicone turbo outlet pipe, forge 007p ( yellow spring ), 80mm jetex cone filter, 3" cold air feed, 3" downpipe and de cat, R-tech stage1 map 187bhp- 227ft

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Prawns old engine went on for over 200k before he decided to build one that was more suitable for the needs of his car...

Generally speaking if the oil is changed regularly (6-9k miles) with fully synth 5w40 then they tend to go on for ever...

Really becomes subjective as its hugely dependant on how well its been treated in the past... not just servicing but level of tune, style of driving, town, motorway etc...

Common issues will be worn rings, hard rubber gaskets (leaking oil), tired oil pumps and blocked pickups, worn valve guides etc... the engines are cheap enough to buy and also not to bad to rebuild (unless going stroker lol)

Keep up the oil changes and all should be good for the next few years assuming there is not any excessive breathing through the PCV then all should be good...

Prob worth dropping the sump and consider replacing the oil pump (around 40 quid) and pickup (around 15 quid) as a general precaution

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Hi Simon,

I specifically created the thread below for your exact question about how long can the engine go on for....have a browse through at some of the high mileage cars in the posts....

Come on down and post your mileage please

Tuffty as always have given some sound advice....regular servicing at around 6k miles to keep her running smoothly- and worth dropping the sump and replacing the oil pick up pipe and pump.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Grale1 on Facebook
    Cool cheers guys, I shall get the stumped dropped as soon as I can and replace those bits for safe guarding, and just keep up with oil changes etc. to be fair it doesn't go through a lot of oil but always good to replace like you've said. And I'll keep an eye out for any blue/grey coloured smoke
    A3 1.8t AGU, fk ak street coilovers, silicone tip, silicone turbo outlet pipe, forge 007p ( yellow spring ), 80mm jetex cone filter, 3" cold air feed, 3" downpipe and de cat, R-tech stage1 map 187bhp- 227ft

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Then mine as just gone pop at 10k after a rebuild.... go figure...

6th Gear

Status
    Dave whats happened have I missed something?

Hope its alright?
    Power & Torque 335bhp 285ftlb
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ld-thread.html

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Suspected snapped ring , smoke bellowing out, so engine out again...going for an 83mm overbore so every cloud and all that..