MPG - 1.8 n/a sport vs 1.8T sport

acf8181

Reaction score
as the title says, what kind of fuel consumption can i expect from the above a3's?

also, does anyone have any opinions on the performance of both?

thanks in advance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Or why not just buy a diesel if your looking for good mpg?? makes sense

at the moment my 1.8t is doing 27.1 mpg i never drive it fast at all and only drive about 8 miles a day in back and forth to work anyone thinks there could be a problem.it is chipped aswell just thinking that would make a difference at all

8 miles a day will kill the fuel economy, the engine won't even get up to temperature in that distance

yea i dont live that far from work thats why i dont do that many miles at all.

I've got a chipped 1.8T. I do 70 miles a day to and from work, about 10 miles of that stop-start in town and the rest dual carriageway and manage between 35 and 38 mpg on the DIS (bit less in real life I think). Obviously don't get the chance to thrash it too much in the rush hour but I do cruise at 90 on the dual carriageway.

"yea i dont live that far from work thats why i dont do that many miles at all"
That's why I would always buy a younger car with high mileage over an older one with low miles. Short journeys are really bad for an engine.

thanks for the responses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

its actually on behalf of a female friend who is considering which one to purchase.

would prob do for a tdi but they seem more expensive and rarer.

she's certainly edging towards the 1.8t at mo.

well, s3 will be out her budget really, which brings me on to my next question...have seen a fair few 1.8t sport's on auto trader for around the £4k mark (some were high mileage admitadely, but not all). are these cars going to be complete sheds, or is it reasonable to expect a decent car for this money?

There are so many about you should be able to get a very good one for around £5.5k.Don't be put off by 80k+ mileage as long as the cambelt & water pump have been done then they're a better bet than 65k mile examples.