Suspension choices...

Pubemammal

Reaction score
Hello people. I know this has been covered a few times, I have also googled it with various opinions etc.

I am going to lower my A3... Around 50mm. I am not feeling very flush at the moment, therefore going for either cheap Coilovers or cheapy shocks and lowering springs. My car is a daily driver and I am not intending taking it to any track days! I am after the least jaw juddering ride without totally sacrificing the handling.

Basically, which would be the best option out of cheapy coilies or cheapy lowering kit (shocks and springs). Once lowered I don't intend to be faffing around with ride heights etc.

Thanks

coilovers. IMO. atleast you have a choice to go lower/higher.

I am not fussed about messing about with ride height. I just dont want bone shuddering car journeys. I have been in a few cars with coilovers and the ride quality is appauling. Would shocks/springs soak up the bumps better?

You didn't do a search did you...at all...

I did buddy, I found somebody on here say shocks and springs are better for ride quality and Coilovers are very rigid. Then I googled... And found people saying Coilovers are better ride quality as the springs are matched with the damper and you can adjust damping stiffness.... Which I'm not sure you can do with the likes of FK and JOM Coilovers.

I do hate it when somebody posts something that's been covered a thousand times but I've read so many conflicting opinions I still have no idea. :eek:

Sidey I don't think id personally put anything other than standard springs on standard shocks... What about bilistein shocks with those springs they seem a good price?

I would not either, I ran my Apex springs on Koni shocks, so on bilstein's they will be perfect.

I changed to coilovers recently only because the apex was not low enough, but the ride was awesome.

Jamex, cheap as chips coilovers are perfect.

The 8L chassis is so widely used it was a product that the original manufacturers could invest good money on getting the damping right because they will make the extra investment back with the amount of units they will sell.

Same with £80 downpipe and decat kits.

Mass purchase = mass production which = mass profits which in turn allows better development back end.