K04-064 Tfsi turbo to 1.8 20vt engine

how much is one of these loba units out of interest? If it takes two turbos to make one hybrid... *cough*

what are we looking at here for monies?

curious
thx

Wow! That's alot

I agree, but in their defence they built a 440+ unit out of what was available
Take ttrs turbo,which believe it or not is based on the k16 turbo from the old calibre vauxhall and fit it to the Tfsi k04 turbine housing .
these 2 units new, and work makes it 3k.

Now considering I drove an rs4 the other day where the previous owner paid 13k for 2 hybrid turbos and fitting makes this look reasonable!

when you build a hybrid, you either use what's available to you at that time and make it fit ie the loba 4xx or you develop parts that work in the existing frames . You can't fault loba and the price is reflective of what they produce..

There was a reason I developed the k16 turbine with k04 fitment , and this shows why.

Reactions: Chlippo
I can't wait to see what the hybrid is capable of on a 1.8T!

Given that 2 years ago I don't think we'd even heard of Beach Buggy Turbos, and all the things that Dan's done, created, and tested over the past 18 months. I think it's awesome that some is able to test all these different hardware options and see what works and what doesn't.

I'm very much looking forward to this TFSI project becomming a reality.

Reactions: StaceyS3 and voorhees
I agree, but in their defence they built a 440+ unit out of what was available
Take ttrs turbo,which believe it or not is based on the k16 turbo from the old calibre vauxhall and fit it to the Tfsi k04 turbine housing .
these 2 units new, and work makes it 3k.

Now considering I drove an rs4 the other day where the previous owner paid 13k for 2 hybrid turbos and fitting makes this look reasonable!

when you build a hybrid, you either use what's available to you at that time and make it fit ie the loba 4xx or you develop parts that work in the existing frames . You can't fault loba and the price is reflective of what they produce..

There was a reason I developed the k16 turbine with k04 fitment , and this shows why.

ahh I see! When you put it that way, it all makes sense!

So in theory, not chasing numbers here, this setup can produce 300bhp with ease, with none of the heat soak issues you get with running a standard 8L S3 K04, correct?

I think expectations and hopes, will at some point soon be backed up with hard Data and Facts

Conjecture otherwise

€3495

Only market for these imho is countries which must have "std looking" cars with approved parts being fitted...
Big turbo and manifold would not cost that much, going dual BB garrett gt3071 or billet equivalent

I see why they would be expensive, and their customers "rich" or stuck with country laws which force them down this OE looking route.. But damn! Thats some price penalty they're paying

Owch!

Reactions: marcusmm
btw is it just for loba unit + fitting and stuff?

Oh yes its all the little bits that dont even intially cross your mind that really seem to add up

Reactions: IrishDave and Scullies
So just to be sure how much power would the tfsi ko4 make on a s3 1.8t?

Stock one, potentially 360.
Hybrid, potentially 400.
Ish

I think the word potentially is very adapt here. Whilst we know what they can do on a 2ltr on the 1.8t it will be different , although if the OPs posts are to go buy then I don't think it'll be far off. What will dictate the bhp is the flow capacity of the manifolds and how much more efficient over the current 1.8ts they are.

Even if we can get a reliable 360bhp out of the hybrid then its already better than the current 1.8t hybrids! Anything more becomes a bonus.

One thing I have found in the last few days is that even a stock Tfsi k04 turbo fitted at factory has some quite big issues with runners lining up on the head and manifold, even to the point of being as bad the fitment of the v3! So there's potential there to hopefully free up a bit extra.

you joke Dan? The factory turbo doesn't match the head ports :O that's shocking!

Will you be porting the 064 manifold to match the flange head ports then? Any difference in large / small port exhaust port sizes? I've got an old scrap large port head if you need something LP to port match it.

you joke Dan? The factory turbo doesn't match the head ports :O that's shocking!

Will you be porting the 064 manifold to match the flange head ports then? Any difference in large / small port exhaust port sizes? I've got an old scrap large port head if you need something LP to port match it.

I joke not, on one runner there was a 1.5mm over lap, whether that was the manifold runner to gasket, gasket to head I am not sure at present, but something I will definately be looking at. I can tell this as I have a manifold and gasket from an s3 which has clear carbon overlap marks on one side and clean on the other.. IT needs further investigation but I asked someone yesterday if they had seen this and their reply was it the manifolds needs porting to get it to flow to its full potential..

Its easy to see on the new adaptors which are made to replicate the head that when the manifold is bolted to the adaptor that there is overlap and mis-aligment..

Yes I will be porting. The manifold runner is a bit smaller than the LP head and due to the setup I had to run a near stock manifold port size on the adaptor but it will be ported to flow smoothly.. There is a certainly amount of comprise in there but nothing that can't be worked around...

the first thing I checked on the S3 one I have here was alignment to 1.8t gasket.. and yep.. some margin on overlap which a little carbide burr action would remedy. the S3 mani was +1mm over the stock smallport exhaust port on the one I have here for info

Dans done some great work on this and from what ive seen we're basically ready to go. Fitting In the next few weeks. Going to be fun!

ill let Dan add any more info if he wants to or not, it's his project :)

Reactions: jitvv
Dans done some great work on this and from what ive seen we're basically ready to go. Fitting In the next few weeks. Going to be fun!

ill let Dan add any more info if he wants to or not, it's his project :)

Yep, it's all ready to fit.

adaptor fits very nicely, and a pretty straight forward fit, once the adaptor is installed on the cylinder head the tfsi turbo then becomes OEM fit and can be fitted and removed in 10 minutes. Everything has be match ported to get the most put of it.

we only have a couple things to resolve, 1 being the DP, which really can only be done properly once the kits on the car and also the charge pipe routing but again once the turbos installed we can work it a bit easier.. I'm sure there will be a few other testing problems, but the car is going to be with Ben parsons for a week so it should give us plenty of time to fix these..

i think I've also created the biggest TIP ever to run on this...

Reactions: jitvv, Rainbird, seany26 and 2 others
Really looking forward to seeing what this can do!

Assuming it all goes to plan and runs as we hope, I'll be making my own large plenum inlet manifold in S3 orientation, which should simplify the pipe run hugely.

We will be sure to get plenty of pics when it's all being installed :)

Reactions: IrishDave and seany26
The results of this will be very interesting to see, looking forward to it.

Results will be interesting when you get an S3 to actually use the 400bhp+ you`ll have once fitted and mapped.

Reactions: StaceyS3, Gops, ScottD3 and 1 other person
broken_record_by_brokenchar-d39gjga.jpg

Be playing you the
Violin
when you moan you cant get the power down :p

Dan, is the loba4xx the K16 varient from the rs3/ttrs inside the ko4 hot side/manifold?

EDIT:
Ive seen earlier in this thread you answered this.

Last edited:
Be sure that the adapter is made properly at head with exact diameter as the ports because if it isn't the same diametre the flow will be not so good! In our workshop we don't use adapter any more we make the appropriate changes at exhaust manifold of k04-064 and is bolt on! Also we have better space between turbo and the mirror of the car!