Totally standard 1999 APY S3 + 500bhp engine from ebay where do i start?

andy1571

Reaction score
Hi evryone,

Im new to the forum and 2 weeks ago i bought my very first Audi, a 1999 APY 8L and i absolutely love the thing despite having half of it in bits atm due to a suspected pcv valve failure and overheating problem.
I decided almost instantly that i was going to mod it but after the problem with the overheating, split hoses blah blah i decided to start at the block and found this on ebay
500bhp ready 1.8 20v Turbo Engine Tested
PARTS PUT INTO THE ENIGNE.....

- Omega 82.5mm pistons
- Pec con rods
- SPA Manifold
- GT3076r Turbo from America no Jap or Chinese S***
- External Wastegate
- Ferrea Exhaust Valves
- AYP Block 1.9
- AUQ New Head
- New Cam-belt fitted

Thing is im a complete beginner with regards to mechanics and modification, i know im going to need front mount inter cooler, manifold modification and i want to replace all the hoses, bushes anti roll bars ect with new or uprated ones during the build, i realize ive probably bitten off way more than i can chew so here i am to humbly ask more seasoned and knowledgeable audi owners for any advice they may have to offer, Thanks in advance evryone
icon7.png

Reactions: Sandra
​Looking forward to following your progress. :) x

Reactions: andy1571
Hi Andy, welcome to the forum and what a great first post in here!

Seems like you know exactly what you want fella...there are several big turbo build threads on here and some very knowledgeable people, so you have come to a very good place IMO :)

Where abouts are you located? And get got any pics of the motor?

Hi Kwistof, nice to meet u

no pics as yet but il be sure to post some first chance i get and il be taking plenty during the whole build, Im located in tyne and wear, sunderland. Ive just been browsing the forum n see that the guys on here really know their stuff, ive a lot of reading to do!

:thumbsup:

As you say, you're new to mechanics and modifying, does this mean you will be attempting a lot of this stuff on your own as you go along? Or will you be taking it to a garage to get it fully build up to spec mate after you source all the parts? Going for that sort of power you do have quiet a bit of reading up to do :)

Also remember that it's all very well talking about the power side, but obviously brakes, suspension and all round handing is a must unless this has already been upgraded or given a refresh recently?

Welcome to ASN Andy as i said to you on the phone these guys will steer you straight and im so glad you took my advice and bought the new block it truly will be an animal guess the tables will turn and ill be eating your dust soon lol so Jealous really looking forward to working with you on this one m8

Kodak

Reactions: andy1571
Lots of research!

Quick reply before bed. You're going to need quite an extensive fuel system for a 3076. Some good cooling.LOTS of fabrication. And, im pretty sure the spa mani is longitudinal, so there will be issues that that presents with fitment and fabrication and location of things.

trying to source a bam ecu , loom and wideband lambda sensor and egt sensor for you m8 do gt30 come with boss for egt im not sure. if not will have to weld one in downpipe, bill can you make a tip to fit the gt30 or does to b5 2.2tip fit with out the billet ? anyone have a bam me 7.5 ecu? 4 sale?

this is a pic of the monster Andy just bought
Spamani

Last edited:
just logged back in before bed :)

il be getting some good help Kwistof as you can see by kodaks post, but i plan on being as hands on as i can as much as i possible and learning as much as i can along the way, i realise handling and brakes are going to need uprating but the top mounts need doing anyway so no biggie il just do it at the same time as the powerflex ones go in, n thanks kodak youve been a great help already.
KGrHqZHJEUFGKTmHB eBRnSZ6bs4Q60 3

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZHJEUFGKTmHB-eBRnSZ6bs4Q~~60_14.jpg
    $(KGrHqZHJEUFGKTmHB-eBRnSZ6bs4Q~~60_14.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 516
  • $(KGrHqR,!roFGTd8rkJEBRnSrlQr2!~~60_14.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!roFGTd8rkJEBRnSrlQr2!~~60_14.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 539
Reactions: kwistof
cheers bud,
looking forward to it myself although still somewhat apprehensive about the building of it and costs but you only live once, anyway its late an ive gota be at the bank in the morning to charge my paypal account :yes:

I will tell you one thing you will definitely need mate..... Very deep pockets....:yes:

Reactions: VAG-Slag and superkarl
And it doesn't have a large port head, wonder if the small port head is even ported?

I was looking at this engine but decided to buy Stacey's engine

Never 500bhp in a million years. And the turbo looks generic Chinese not genuine garret. Non rifle drilled rods too. How much you paying? Its a 2k engine build with a possible clone turbo. Be careful and ask questions or go and see it. Id expect to see an engine of that spec to have arp hardware. Which I see no mention of

dude thats very helpfull........not

Not as helpful as doing a bit of research before flopping 3k on an engine would have been.

I feel for you bro, I really do. But the nature of this thread is laughable, if you really know as little as you say then why aren't you paying a tuner to do this work for you? Or did you think you could just buy a "500bhp" engine and drop it into a standard S3 over a Sunday morning?

Not as helpful as doing a bit of research before flopping 3k on an engine would have been.

I feel for you bro, I really do. But the nature of this thread is laughable, if you really know as little as you say then why aren't you paying a tuner to do this work for you? Or did you think you could just buy a "500bhp" engine and drop it into a standard S3 over a Sunday morning?
more constructive replys would me more apreciated then trying to impress old comunity by some stupid commments. but hey i dont care that much if it was me i woudnt spend 3k on engine that was build behind garden shed or in someones living room i rather build it myself or with someone who got some clue

yep very helpfull indeed, like i said im going to take my time and learn, i m new to this so yea i will make a few costly mistakes along the way but hey im human, how is a total beginner supposed to know the difference between a high end turbo and a chinese copy, or what difference a drilled rod will make... maybe il go ask on audi sport and find out

thanks bryzan ive had a look and even contacted the guy who built it at stealth racing, also all i have payed atm is a deposit an the guy is dropping it off personally so i plan on having someone with way more knowledge than me to look it over before any more money changes hands. i know its a tall order and no i didnt think for a second that it was going to be as easy as dropping it in one sunday morning.

The OP's question is so broad it is almost unanswerable. He is expecting us to relay what most people only dream of achieving in a few sentences on a forum, and it just isn't that easy. There are only a small handful of people on this forum with 300bhp+, the questions he is asking are only honestly answerable by a professional tuner who knows what they are doing. There is only one man for this job on this forum, and he has already replied in this thread.

If he wants to do it properly he needs to start at the ground and work up; not flop 3k on a suspiciously built engine to drop into a standard car without really knowing the background of the engine or the potential outcome.

We aren't talking generic off the shelf mods here; if he wants 500bhp then we are in fully custom and hand built territory.

He could slap a K04 hybrid on it, relenetless, meth and a welly cooler and comfortably sit at 330bhp. And we could all advise him then, but 500bhp? No chance.

Even if he did want 500bhp the engine he has would require a full strip down and rifle drilled rods and a new large port head.

So all in all, I'm not sure how much more helpful I am expected to be? I'm certainly not just taking the **** out of him for the fun of it.

Reactions: sportquattro, Paradox1 and daro
the other side of the coin is a fella who is inexperienced (like myself) willing to invest the cash (like myself) and the time it will take to learn how to do this (like myself).

All i can advise, based on experience, is to read the right informative threads (andrews, staceys, tufftys, westys, wellys), get to grips with the basic requirements, the dos and do nots. Sift through the crap, and take with a rather large pinch of salt what other people in that thread say, at the end of the day you dont know the credibility of anyone on here or other forums.
Then when you've learnt a bit and know what you need to do, ask the right people the right specific questions, and pretty much anyone can do this.

The epic fail you made (the OP), is saying hi i bought an s3 2 weeks ago, i know nothing about mechanics or modding, i want this 500hp engine, tell me what to do.
For people that have undertaken a similar task by themselves its taken a long time and alot of effort, so it does make these people laugh and question things, like you've seen.
Only other option for you is to use a respectable garage, they tell you what to buy, they fit it and sort it out, job done, alot easier.

in a bizzle

Reactions: daro
Couple my post in with Karls and I think we have a summary. Well said.

I wish you the best of luck, and I look forward to seeing the hopefully successful outcome.

:beerchug:

Reactions: superkarl
don't forget to ask for receipts for all equipment and work carried out on the engine ask if the head is ported I assume it will be as no one would go to all the trouble of 're boring an engine without doing at least that first listen to Karl he's mentioned all the people's threads you need to see in tufftys thread you will see very lots of pics and helpful info good luck m8 I know you will succeed its not in your nature to fail maybe not 500 but 400 should be can be obtained from this block as long as it's been built well see you Tuesday for the compression test

Ok heres humble pie, u guys were completely right, i enclose a relisting for a £2000 engine... relisted due to "timewasters and dreamers" and asking the right questions on the right forum, thanks again

now im off to find a cheap engine to play with, might take me a bit longer but im not giving up just yet

1.8 20vt Engine, Vw, Audi S3, Seat, Apy, Aqu, Agu | eBay

Yeah what happened when the bloke personally delivered it? Did you get your deposit back as well!?

Reactions: JoeD
i got back in touch with the guy who built it, not the seller and asked for a complete breakdown of what had been done and was told pretty much the same as you guys already pointed out, non rifled non ported, t3t4 hybrid turbo not as specified certainly not 500bhp so thought better of it and got my deposit refunded.

he didnt get to deliver it m8, i stopped it before hand. deposits being refunded through paypal resolution centre

All good then- thanks for posting what you found out as well.

I see he has changed the turbo description and make of rods from his first listing! Lol

Yea he has, hes taken some of the pics down aswell. think ive found someone to build me one but its gonna cost a few quid and take a while longer...