new turbo time - 8L S3

jasongtr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So ive decided to keep the S3 for a while, it needs a new turbo as the one on there is too big and doesnt give decent power until 5000 revs +

The car has the following mods

Genesis 550cc injectors
Forge FMIC
T3 turbo fitment manifold with external wastegate
Scat H section forged rods
Full milltek exhaust and decat
depo electronic boost gauge (looks crap to be honest)

ive also checked the compression and it all seems good - 155 152 153 153

The new turbo id hope to get one with a T3 fitment so i can use the existing manifold/wastegate setup, id like the new turbo to be decent for road use and make decent power - its a second car but is currently in full road trim.

Id like to see around the 400hp mark, and from reading up the turbo that seems like it would do the job is the Garratt GTx2868

any other advice or comments on this, i appreciate ill need to have it properly mapped, but anything else ill need please advice, i know its going to cost a bit but what wouldn't chasing that power, at least some of the work has been done already i guess.

Ive emailed B5 a few times and asked him the same question, he said i could go down there but the existing turbo has a slight oil leak on the turbo in and return lines so id rather not drive it anywhere until the new turbo is fitted and then have it mapped etc..

yes i guess so, its all pretty new to me, ive never bought a turbo before, all the turbo modified cars ive had were done before i bought them.

Bill said something about a billet 2868, im waiting on his recommendation.

Is that gtx2867 what you would say id need....

...you will also need to do something with the fuelling as 550's on their own won't be enough for 400hp... inline fuel pump and a 4bar FPR will do the job...

Forge FMIC is too small to produce 400hp realistically... welly cooler is a good option...

<tuffty/>

see everything ive read says the 550's would be ok, ive actually got a 3.8bar fpr, the inline pump, is that an additional pump or a total replacement, whats the wellycooler all about then, i took the grill off today and had a peak at the forge fmic and it is pretty small, and its about £850 too..... wtf....

yes i guess so, its all pretty new to me, ive never bought a turbo before, all the turbo modified cars ive had were done before i bought them.

Bill said something about a billet 2868, im waiting on his recommendation.

Is that gtx2867 what you would say id need....

Not sure which one Bill was on about but suspect he got his wires crossed maybe... GTX2867r is the puppy I expect he meant...

<tuffty/>

is that something B5 can supply me? along with the fuel pump and 4 bar FPR

see everything ive read says the 550's would be ok, ive actually got a 3.8bar fpr, the inline pump, is that an additional pump or a total replacement, whats the wellycooler all about then, i took the grill off today and had a peak at the forge fmic and it is pretty small, and its about £850 too..... wtf....

Intercooler info is in a massive thread in the stickies... I had huge pressure drop with the AH V1 FMIC thats based around the Forge... 8psi at one point....

Inline pump is additional... see my build thread for info on that...

I run 550's @4bar for just over 400hp but 550's @3bar won't cut it... what do you mean 3.8bar? you have an aftermarket FPR?

<tuffty/>

the frp 3.8 one i have came with the car (not fitted) its off a porsche i was told, looks just the same as the 3bar vag one

no worries, im away until tuesday anyway, any idea on the prices im looking at (pm me if you prefer) i assume you work with Bill then?

no worries, im away until tuesday anyway, any idea on the prices im looking at (pm me if you prefer) i assume you work with Bill then?

At weekends I do but I only wield spanners... Bill's yer man for prices....

<tuffty/>

ok ill ask him, and read your thread and check out the intercoolers

cheers