Still Lovin my S3

fasteddie

Reaction score
I have bored a lot of my friends with how much I love my car and just thought I'd let you all know (and anybody who is looking to buy one of these that may see this) Just how superb the Audi S3 is. Obviously this is subjective and my interests in buying a car were it had to be fast (always, past cars include classic 911, CTR, MR2, MR2 Turbo, CRX) but I also wanted luxury this time. The 2 together usually means a very high price tag, not so with the S3.
I have only had the car 7 months but still smile as I am walking up to it, the smile then becomes an insane grin when I get behind the wheel. I have taken the car to the ring and round Brands (where I showed a Porsche 911 owner and a TVR owner just what an S3 is capable of!). This car is just what I need, I know people may say well the S3 is a little old now, I would suggest to them that there are many old cars that are great, so if it is an age thing on its own and you have to have a new car just because its new. Then go and buy your new car, I personally can't see any advantage, as long as the used car you buy has been lovingly cared for you stand a better chance on the reliability front with a used than an unknown quantity. If it is an image thing you know "oh he has the new M6, wow he must be loaded/successful/indebt" then I can't really comment I am sure if I had limitless funds I'd be a new Ferrari every 6 months but I am not.
Well I've said my piece, I /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif MY YELLOW S3, lets see how long I keep it, my current record for keeping a car is 3 years (and I was abroad for 6 months of that). I hope I haven't upset anyone, it's just my opinion.

I've had mine nearly 3 years from new..Still fresh enough to put a smile on my face every time I drive it! :) Never kept a car this long before!

[ QUOTE ]
I've had mine for 2 years this month, and to be honest even after all the problems I've had, I still can't find a car I want to replace it with as my only car for sensible money!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! 2 years this month also!

This is my 2nd S3 and I don't think I will be selling anytime soon!

[ QUOTE ]
I've had mine for 2 years this month, and to be honest even after all the problems I've had, I still can't find a car I want to replace it with as my only car for sensible money!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that comment.

I have had my car now for 3.5 years, from new. It's had its fair share of problems. Although some people have had more problems, and some very serious problems. But I'm sure there are quite a few people who have probably had no problems.

But from a car point of view, it does have it all. Now that my car seems to have got its performance back, and no hesitation. It's like having a new car again. Throttle response is back, 5th gear acceleration is back. At the moment the car is great. It is a great all round car. And I still love the interior. I have looked after mine, and the leather is still like new. And 4wd, you just can't beat it, it really gives you a feeling of superiority when the roads are wet. I love it.

I must say though, there have been times when I have thought of selling it, when the problems were getting me down. If I'd had the money AND there was something out there with similar qualities, I probably would have sold.

But fingers crossed, everything is ok now, and I can enjoy the car again.

AL

There is no other car I would rather own right now. Obviously I'd love a TVR etc etc but living in London this is not really sensible, the GF would not drive it, and I would get no sleep as I'd be stood at the window watching it every moment of every day.

I ve had mine 6 days & i love it, luxury combined with performance & i dont feel the need to drive it at full throttle either way fast or slow its nice to drive. The looks say it all really.

Matt

Love mine.
Couldn't think of any other car that I would want.
Biggest thing for me is I can have loads of fun and still turn in around 28mpg.
Nothing of comparable speed and quality can come close.

I didn't want another hatchback, I'd had a Golf Gti which I thought was the best thing before sliced bread.
Went looking for a Volvo S60 T6 or C70 T5 to replace my Volvo S40 2.0T and instead took the S3 for a test drive.
On a twisty country road I found the pleasure in driving again and bought the S3 the same day.
No it's not perfect, the £1250 bill for an 80k and haldex service, new disks, tyres and bushes reduced that grin just a little, it's not a cheap car to run over a few years.
Still, you get used to it's foibles, the beeping from the alarm battery when the cars been unused for a while, the coolant warning beep when it's cold.
For sheer enjoyment though it's very hard to beat, and although I'll change the car in the next year or so it will probably be for a newer version.

I love mine and its now given me a bigger grin with the remap. Im looking at keeping her for up to 10 years.
I did have my last car (crx mk2) for 9 years and never fell out with it but this offers so much more.

Snow bring it on I love the S in the snow.

Had mine 2.5yrs and still loving it. Been thinking about changing it but ot be honest there is nothing out there that ticks all the boxes. Was thinking about going for a S4 but the thought of 24mpg compared to the 30-35mpg the S3 gives me seems ot seal it. but the sound ofthat V8 is awesome

Agree with you guys, for me its definetely the best compromise of performance, quality and practicality that I can use every day.

I've had mine a year already, had a couple of 'minor' faults (coils, ARBs) but this has no way tainted the experience. The fact that no new S3 is on the cards yet brings an even bigger smile to my face /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Oh why oh why did you do this post :p

I have been toying with what I am going to get next... S4 bi-turbo or the S3... I eventually settled on the S3.

Moving into a flat as we speak... and while finalising things with that I have been thinking and I love the superior class that the A4 offers... simply being a bigger car - dont think I could do a hatch again... so I started thinking a newer B7 1.8T Quattro... ultimately I want a big turbo kit and the true quattro system would be better with that sort of power over the more delicate haldex system.

Looked at this in more detail... an 02-04 1.8tQuattro with decent miles and S-Line kit is about 15-17k - now add a big turbo kit on that and voila you are nearing S4 teritory so then I have been thinking... S4 GRRRR....

I think the simple short term fix would be the S3 chipped while I think about things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif - reading this post just makes me think this again *sigh* - decisions decisions*

Anyone selling a Ming Blue facelifted S3 w/ Black leather w/ silver alcantara & chrome mirrors under 14k... I WANT YOUR CAR :p

well, it's nice to see I am not the only one. Have to say I have read a few peoples problems and (touch wood) I have not yet experienced anything out of the ordinary, everything from the lovely Bose sound to the ally mirrors is top (well except I have just noticed that it appear the mirror's heating elements dont work or they are very poor). Cant say I will keep it for 10 years but right at the moment cant think what I'd get instead so it stays on the drive and smiles back at me!!

I bought my S3 new in June 2000, and I've still got it. Has 38k miles up, and still drives like new.

As I enter my 6th year of continuous ownership (can anyone beat this?) there is still nothing that can touch it for the money. There's only one thing that would tempt me to make a change: a 2006 S3 DSG.

And even then .....