My A3 8L Progress

Uploadfromtaptalk1379524759326

Uploadfromtaptalk1379524880103

Uploadfromtaptalk1379524968176

Uploadfromtaptalk1379525105981

Rear wiper motor was playing up, washer jet stopped working, didn't really use it anyway so I went for a 'wiper-delete'!

20130920_123333.jpg

20130926_163738.jpg

20130926_165447.jpg

Looks a lot better in the flesh, don't think the camera could handle the brightness and just blurred it!

Reactions: JudderMan
So today I managed to free up the coilover and lower the front end about an inch. Ordered some 20mm spacers for the rear. Going to remove rear adjusters when I fit them.

zyhyqaqa.jpg

a7u6anuh.jpg

y2etuhyg.jpg

Took the "1.8T" badge off the rear as I already took the "A3" badge off along with the rear wiper.

a4uhuryn.jpg

ugybu5ej.jpg

Comments appreciated.

Plastidip the rear badge. Looks good. What wheels are those? Am I the only one that uses my rear wiper? It looks better without but I really do use it quite a lot.

Plastidip the rear badge. Looks good. What wheels are those? Am I the only one that uses my rear wiper? It looks better without but I really do use it quite a lot.

What colour for the rear badge? They're Audi RS6 wheels 18" :).

As for the rear wiper, I don't do a lot of motorway driving and it gives me a good excuse to keep the thing clean! The motor was on its way out and the washer jet didn't work anyway.

i think you are the only one :) sometime i do wish i had mine but turn the heater on and its sorted

Reactions: JudderMan and Pubemammal
Do the badge black I reckon. The back end looks to clean to have shiny chrome rings, in my opinion of course.

Hmmm, I'm still undecided removing my rear wiper. It does look so much better...Maybe I should clean my car more often :) and use that stuff that helps bead the water Rain Off or RainX or whatever it's called.

Do the badge black I reckon. The back end looks to clean to have shiny chrome rings, in my opinion of course.

Hmmm, I'm still undecided removing my rear wiper. It does look so much better...Maybe I should clean my car more often :) and use that stuff that helps bead the water Rain Off or RainX or whatever it's called.

Hmm don't think I would do the badge black, probably grey or something, can you plasti-dip the badges without taking them off?

Auto-glym glass polish does exactly the same thing and works a treat

Reactions: JudderMan
i wouldnt advise plasti dip it with it on, imo i would take it off as you havnt really got any other black detail, would look good with a3, 1.8t and rings black

i wouldnt advise plasti dip it with it on, imo i would take it off as you havnt really got any other black detail, would look good with a3, 1.8t and rings black

Hmmm that's not the kind of look I'm after buddy. I was going for a minimal smooth rear end! Although the audi rings would probably look better in some sort of grey colour.

That's a nice job you have made of your car! What is the difference in comfort between the standard, 40mm lowering and coilovers? Thinking of just going with some 40mm springs.

Reactions: Pubemammal
That's a nice job you have made of your car! What is the difference in comfort between the standard, 40mm lowering and coilovers? Thinking of just going with some 40mm springs.

Thanks Liam. Standard suspension was obviously the best for comfort. .by FAR. The 40mm springs compared with the coilovers ... there isn't alot in it to be honest. I can definitely tell the coilovers are slightly firmer but I was expecting them to be alot harsher than the 40mm springs.

Sometimes I do miss the standard shock/spring comfort... until I get to a corner :p

20mm spacers for the rear! Unfortunately I have lost my locking wheel nut key (drove off with it on wheel nut.. idiot!)

a7eqagun.jpg

3asysehe.jpg

Looking good mate, keep up the good work, nice and clean :)

Seats looking in good nick pal..... I sure a good clean will bring them out better.

Really enjoyed reading your thread so far, seats look nice! will clean up a treat! Also how was it fitting the coilovers :uhm:? Ive got a set im waiting to fit, just havent musstered up the courage to give it a go yet haha

Really enjoyed reading your thread so far, seats look nice! will clean up a treat! Also how was it fitting the coilovers :uhm:? Ive got a set im waiting to fit, just havent musstered up the courage to give it a go yet haha

Thankyou, I'm glad to hear it! Yes I can't wait to get stuck in, also just ordered new locking wheel nut key so I can get them spacers on finally! As for the coilovers, pretty straightforward to be honest, I felt the same way, but once I started its pretty self explanatory. I followed Jardo's How-To thread and all went well. Just make sure you support the axles with a jack when removing the old struts otherwise you risk tearing off your brake lines! Took me around 4 hours to do the front and back but I was dithering around like a fool making sure everything was done properly!

Definitely worth doing them yourself, not only will you save a wad of cash but also you will learn how your suspension is put together and functions :) Don't forget pics when you've done it.

If you get stuck just throw me a PM and I'll reply pretty sharpish. Good luck!

Nice one mate and super tidy looking A3, the wheels really suit the car. I'm sure that nice you have the spacers on that will finish it off!!!!!!

Nice one mate and super tidy looking A3, the wheels really suit the car. I'm sure that nice you have the spacers on that will finish it off!!!!!!

Thanks mate :) always wanted a set of these wheels from the start! Spacers going on Wednesday and dropping it another inch all round. Also seats going in! Can't wait :)

Leathers are in:

quvuqaje.jpg

da5evupy.jpg

Removed rear adjusters:

yzurevy6.jpg

Lowered front 15mm

hy6yteta.jpg

Spacers were to wide and arches were hitting the tyres so removed them:

zudumuby.jpg

apysazup.jpg

Loving how it's looking now:

zemu6ute.jpg

ganutyja.jpg

u3agumeb.jpg

9agagage.jpg

e6uba4y5.jpg

Reactions: Westy
Looking good fella.... Well done.

Amazing how little tweeks and inexpensive things make such a difference.

Car looks sweet mate how much did the spacers cost and where from?

Looking good mate, proper tidy now. Interior has finished it up as well! Makes good reading!!

Looking really nice. I got my wheels spaced flush with the arches but it just doesn't look this good because it's not as low. How do you find the ride and speed humps?

Cheers Westy, Yes I was hoping for them flush but should of gone for 15mm, even with no spacers I can barely get a finger between the tyre and the arch now so i'll probably just leave it as is! Havn't tackled any speed bumps yet but the ride is very firm now but still nothing is rattling and its still very grippy round corners with minimal body roll. Because I've lowered it in stages I've got used to it each time probably making it not so noticeable, but if I go in a standard car now it feels like I'm floating.

Looking good mate, proper tidy now. Interior has finished it up as well! Makes good reading!!

I'm so happy with it now! :D didn't realize the leathers would go so well, what with the car being blue aswel! Glad you enjoyed reading, I didn't think anybody was reading it at one stage lol. Now its on to the engine... ;)

Reactions: fanta and Westy
How easy were the seats to get in and out? Mine are the electric recaros and the short *** at kwik fit raised the seat after I told him not to and now they won't go down. Now usually a prob but I'm 6'4" and it's not comfortable!

Reactions: Westy
How easy were the seats to get in and out? Mine are the electric recaros and the short *** at kwik fit raised the seat after I told him not to and now they won't go down. Now usually a prob but I'm 6'4" and it's not comfortable!

Kwik fit! Avoid. Lol. They are totally useless mate. Seats are very easy to remove and fit. For the front seats: Disconnect negative terminal on battery to save the airbag blasting ur ears off.

Slide seat all the way back to expose 2x13mm nuts (or 2xT40 torx bolts depending on model)

Undo the two nuts/bolts

Slide seat all the way back and off the rails

Tilt back and disconnect the airbag connectors (and whatever other connections e.g heated seats)

Lift the seat out.

To put them back in you just slide them from the back towards the front of the car so theyre on the rails and replace the two nuts (or torx bolts).

We will have to arrange a meet and and a mini photoshoot one evening :p

Hey Pube I see your still making good progress, what seats did you have before you installed your heated ones? there just like mine but yours are Blue :)

An are you still selling the spacers? What have you replaced them with btw?