A3 purchased, anyone know it?

camscockle20vT

The stigs ugly brother
Reaction score
Good afternoon all, a friend of mine has bought a R reg silver a3 1.8t sport. Looks an honest enough car but I just thought id do abit of research on it and ask a question on his behalf.

So he bought it from rugby and he is really happy due to the low price he paid, the bumpers look abit of a bodge job in the pics but isnt actually bad in the flesh, and he says that it drives spot on.

Only problem being when he selects 1st and reverse its abit stiff like something is not slotting as it should, I think its a worn out selector fork as the rubber busch has seen better days coupled with a worn gear box mount, i will post a pic if need be.

So here she is ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370177916336962 as said he is really happy with the car so If the old owner is on here then say hello or if anyone knows the car.

Thanks for any and all help. Likes and thanks all round ;)

don't know the car, but low gearbox oil can sometimes cause selection issues! it won't cost much to find out, so maybe try a top up before getting into the internals ...it could save time & money.

Thanks will give that a check, cant do no harm. I think its more likely the selector linkage on the top of the box, i know these are a common issue.

Also can anyone tell me what alloys these are? Are they just standard? He is looking sell them and buy some rs4 reps.

my S3 was same but into 2nd, dropped the gearbox oil and refilled with Mobil 1 fluid.. no issues now :)

Think the fluid cost me about £25 or less (opieoils.co.uk) pretty sure they have a 25% sale as well atm.
then a fluid pump, which was a couple of quid from eBay.. IIRC the drain plug is 14mm hex, or could be 17mm - one of the two haha.