Getting back on the road

Goubo1

Reaction score
Well the car is in my mates garage waiting on a new engine.

Still looking good :sm4:
dc078db737508fd5f795efee6025eef7.jpg

im going to be buying Stacey's bam engine.Any tips on putting a bam engine in replace of apy engine would be greatly appreciated :sm4:.

So hopefully the car will be on the road again sooner rather than later :)

Reactions: Sandra
Thats great news Robert, once you get the new engine from Stacey things will move along quickly. The car lives on. :) x

A few pics of the engine :)

These are since both block and deck being machined, have since given the block a lick of black gloss engine enamel

20130522_141028_zpsca559b33.jpg

20130525_152339_zps540b3d8b.jpg

Couple of other random ones whilst stripping it down

20130511_125621_zps4faee671.jpg

20130513_173445_zps152d7cf7.jpg

Will put it all back together next weekend then will wing its way up to you ;)

A few pics of the engine :)

These are since both block and deck being machined, have since given the block a lick of black gloss engine enamel

20130522_141028_zpsca559b33.jpg

20130525_152339_zps540b3d8b.jpg

Couple of other random ones whilst stripping it down

20130511_125621_zps4faee671.jpg

20130513_173445_zps152d7cf7.jpg

Will put it all back together next weekend then will wing its way up to you ;)

Thanks man,yeah just when ever your ready as I'm away for 17 days come Monday so just at your leisure mate

Dose anyone know what else I will need to get to get the bam engine running in the car as it was apy befor and it had sai and no vvt but bam doesn't have sai but has vvt

Thought I had already covered this dude....

Swap tensioner, remove SAI, use APY sensors etc... done :)

Use new gaskets (genuine ones) for everything you remove so coolant and oil, exhaust, tensioner etc... use your cam cover (get a new gasket for this too)

<tuffty/>

...is the engine built? new cam belt, water pump, cam belt tensioners?

<tuffty/>

Thought I had already covered this dude....

Swap tensioner, remove SAI, use APY sensors etc... done :)

Use new gaskets (genuine ones) for everything you remove so coolant and oil, exhaust, tensioner etc... use your cam cover (get a new gasket for this too)

<tuffty/>

Yeah you have mate was reading on your thread about the vvt from the link you gave me thanks again man.

was just unsure of the sai as my mate who is going to be doing the work was asking to try get the heads up before the work starts

i would imagine all gaskets would be same part numbers ?

Will be all new bolts, seals and gaskets used but will be all same bearings and rings as bores look lovely and bearings look fine (end of the day most components are less than 2 years old and with 10k or so on them)

I will and have replaced and rectified anything I feel needs to, or have any doubt with, hence ripping the whole thing to bits just to get the block decked ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandra, <tuffty/> and Goubo1
Managed to get the head assembled this morning

Lots of pics as promised

Quick parts pic

20130608_075617_zps56a2574f.jpg

Just took plenty of photos during the assmebly

20130608_072441_zps94809891.jpg

Changing exhaust camshaft seal

20130608_080927_zpsa08ad69d.jpg

Inlet cam seal

20130608_081630_zpsfb8e19f7.jpg

Timing marked up with a paint pen as makes life easier

20130608_082352_zps2661b745.jpg

Lifters in and lubed up for exhaust cam

20130608_082611_zpseb52bd58.jpg

Head all assembled, will chuck more lube on once all bolted to the block

20130608_102406_zps2aa750e6.jpg

If this afternoon goes ok will get started in the block ;)

Got some more done today :)

Gave the block another clean in the wash tank and gave all the oil galleries a good blowing out as the block was cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner prior to machining

Crank bolted in

Pistons and rods going in

Made new TDC marks (lightly scribed with marker to highlight) for if you shall ever want it and prefer having it there myself

Just reallised that i haven't got a spare set of plastic cam covers so will have to transfer yours if ok once recieved the engine? The cam cover is just an old one had knocking about and if your running push down coilpacks then will have to just switch it over to your one

I also presumed you wanted a sump with an oil level sensor?

If any different just let me know mate

Reactions: Sandra and Sam_
Cheers guys am hoping Rob enjoys the engine as much as I have over the 4 years of owning it

Its definately getting easier now working on these 1.8t's as have stripped 6 and assembled 4 of these engines now lol

Got some more done today :)

Gave the block another clean in the wash tank and gave all the oil galleries a good blowing out as the block was cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner prior to machining

Crank bolted in

Pistons and rods going in

Made new TDC marks (lightly scribed with marker to highlight) for if you shall ever want it and prefer having it there myself

Just reallised that i haven't got a spare set of plastic cam covers so will have to transfer yours if ok once recieved the engine? The cam cover is just an old one had knocking about and if your running push down coilpacks then will have to just switch it over to your one

I also presumed you wanted a sump with an oil level sensor?

If any different just let me know mate

Sound mate,yeah oil level sensor is sound thanks for the pictures :)

Cheers guys am hoping Rob enjoys the engine as much as I have over the 4 years of owning it

Its definately getting easier now working on these 1.8t's as have stripped 6 and assembled 4 of these engines now lol

i hope so to stace :),will speak to you tomorrow mate

Thats cool mate if you can think of anything else then let me know

Fitted the N/A head gasket in the end so CR should be over 9.0/1 now ;)

Thats cool mate if you can think of anything else then let me know

Fitted the N/A head gasket in the end so CR should be over 9.0/1 now ;)

is there anything you can think of mate as I ain't to sure only thing is the apy manifold I have.

what is the ideal compression ratio ?

Why did you paint the block black? Thought the common idea was to have anything but black to be able to check for any oil leaks. I know that you don't want oil leaks but it makes it easier to see if the block was silver for example.

is there anything you can think of mate as I ain't to sure only thing is the apy manifold I have.

what is the ideal compression ratio ?

Will repeat what was discussed in texts...

Can either port the small port mani to largeport like superkarl is currently doing (pics in his build thread) or get a phenolic transition gasket

The tip has only a 40mm port for the dv which is pointing towards the throttle body for a coldside relocation and the n75 port as had deleted the evap/charcoal canister and done the pvc simplification by fitting a catch can

Found an old pic of the tip for you

You will obviously need to transfer all your ancillery equipment across as i took it all for my new engine, just to reclarify its the long block and the turbo conversion with related stuff (tip, injectors etc) will be getting ;)

You should be fine to run it with the bigger tip and the engine belongs are on actuator only (with it set sensibly) as you have got a map for the main hardware but from personal experience the mtm map didnt cope well with the extra flow on mine so best to wait until you get it mapped properly for the hardware

Also i would be checking your fuel pump condition before pushing it as wouldn't be supprised that your pump was struggling and possibly caused your engine failure (only stipulation but worth checking as don't want it happening again)

Sorry to rabbit on a bit but thought it was worth clearing it up and trying to give you a better picture of whats needed to fit it all etc :)

Also forgot to say that compression ratio is definately better being higher within reason, unless your running a stupidly large turbo then not worth running low comp

Most people are aiming between 9.0/9.5-1 this block should now be somewhere in the middle of that figure

In theory you should achieve more power than what i ever achieved as i was running 8.5-1 cr ;)

Will repeat what was discussed in texts...

Can either port the small port mani to largeport like superkarl is currently doing (pics in his build thread) or get a phenolic transition gasket

The tip has only a 40mm port for the dv which is pointing towards the throttle body for a coldside relocation and the n75 port as had deleted the evap/charcoal canister and done the pvc simplification by fitting a catch can

Found an old pic of the tip for you

You will obviously need to transfer all your ancillery equipment across as i took it all for my new engine, just to reclarify its the long block and the turbo conversion with related stuff (tip, injectors etc) will be getting ;)

You should be fine to run it with the bigger tip and the engine belongs are on actuator only (with it set sensibly) as you have got a map for the main hardware but from personal experience the mtm map didnt cope well with the extra flow on mine so best to wait until you get it mapped properly for the hardware

Also i would be checking your fuel pump condition before pushing it as wouldn't be supprised that your pump was struggling and possibly caused your engine failure (only stipulation but worth checking as don't want it happening again)

Sorry to rabbit on a bit but thought it was worth clearing it up and trying to give you a better picture of whats needed to fit it all etc :)

i will get a gasket then I think,I've been told I had to keep everything from mine as I would need all my sensors an such so should have all that.

fuel pump Is a good shout what is the best to replace it with ? A oem pump ?

Not a problem mate I'm grateful for any advice or pointers :)

Also forgot to say that compression ratio is definately better being higher within reason, unless your running a stupidly large turbo then not worth running low comp

Most people are aiming between 9.0/9.5-1 this block should now be somewhere in the middle of that figure

In theory you should achieve more power than what i ever achieved as i was running 8.5-1 cr ;)

see when you made 335bhp was that with meth?

as I'm planing on 3" downpipe large tip and jetex and mapped to suit.

hopefully I prove the theory right sometime soon :)

When bill mapped it meth was on there but was mapped with it or even dyno'd with it so there is also more to be had there as well ;)

7Pump wise you will need to log and see if afr is leaning out and injector duty cycles are reasonable to make sure your ok on actuator

Bill will soon be able to tell you if your pump is dying when he turns the boost up when mapping

Personally I would replace the oem if need be and get an uprated pump inline as you are going to be chasing for more with some form of hyrid at a later date anyways

Right all is pretty much ready to be sent up to you mate

Changed the cam chain tensioner over for you

20130617_182121_zpsfd5df5c7.jpg

Engine pretty much sealed and has since been wrapped in black cling film (although have forgotten to put cak pos sensor back on but will sort that)

20130617_192943_zps2151c393.jpg

Pretty much everything packaged bar the DP

20130617_181005_zpsdc3f23ec.jpg

All the turbo lines

20130617_180053_zps5b545b29.jpg

Affraid I have found a hairline crack in the wastegate valve seat so will have to use yours or if you want will try and source one from vag or scrappy?

20130617_171846_zps43d7c001.jpg

The wastgate is perfectly usable but the little ring/valve seat just comes out and is a seperate piece

Drop me a text or something to let me know what you want

Cheers

Right all is pretty much ready to be sent up to you mate

Changed the cam chain tensioner over for you

20130617_182121_zpsfd5df5c7.jpg

Engine pretty much sealed and has since been wrapped in black cling film (although have forgotten to put cak pos sensor back on but will sort that)

20130617_192943_zps2151c393.jpg

Pretty much everything packaged bar the DP

20130617_181005_zpsdc3f23ec.jpg

All the turbo lines

20130617_180053_zps5b545b29.jpg

Affraid I have found a hairline crack in the wastegate valve seat so will have to use yours or if you want will try and source one from vag or scrappy?

20130617_171846_zps43d7c001.jpg

The wastgate is perfectly usable but the little ring/valve seat just comes out and is a seperate piece

Drop me a text or something to let me know what you want

Cheers

Looking good :),gave Stacey a call and just sorting out payment so hopefully get it fitted this weekend :)

I'm so jealous. That engine looks really nicely done.

I bet your dying to get it in :)

Cheers Sam :)

We had a few hicups last night due to paypal being a complete **** and deciding thst they want to hold the money

After about 100 texts and couple of phone calls and a mrs with the hump that I wasn't packing boxes ready for the move everything went through :)

Pleasure dealing with you Rob and hope this lives up to your expectations and more

Cheers Sam :)

We had a few hicups last night due to paypal being a complete **** and deciding thst they want to hold the money

After about 100 texts and couple of phone calls and a mrs with the hump that I wasn't packing boxes ready for the move everything went through :)

Pleasure dealing with you Rob and hope this lives up to your expectations and more

that hiccup with PayPal was crap lol had me a bag of nerves lol,

was great dealing with you mate and can't wait to receive the engine.