My hopefull Exhaust thread, thanks to tony banks Leeds (review in progress)

cjsuk

Reaction score
Been looking on the bay for the cheapest option for an exhaust, I wanted new soo I found all the bits, downpipe, highflow cat, milltek cat back, bits and bats and someone to fit it (one of our depots). After adding all the bits up it ended up at roughley £700!!! .

Now if anyone knows me Ive allways been a little lucky with my bits n bobs rns-d install costing a total of £65 etc lol.

So the thought of £700 had me on the floor sweating and panicking especially been on min wage!......The thinking cap was on! But with me wanting new I didn't have many options.

Back in the day of the Nova/Corsa/fiesta etc when I had more money than sence (those were the days, ponty cruise ahhhh) I used to use a guy/business called Tony Banks custom exhaust's (actually recommended him to someone on here with a very happy outcome) so I thought I'd email him with my vision.

Basiclley I asked how much it would cost for a stainless 2.5" turbo back system custom fitted all in if I did a review on here. Here is the reply:

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your enquiry.

A custom build stainless 2.5" exhaust system for your Audi would run from the Turbo to the rear with a sports racing catalyst and I have provided a discounted price below.
Included in the base system price would be a 2.5" rolled lip style tailpipe as standard. You can of course choose an alternative or upgrade from our extensive range of about 87 tailpipes if you wish at a marginal cost.
Because all of our systems are custom built, you are able to tell us how you would like the car to sound, anywhere from quiet to full sport. The most popular choice is Mild Sport, which gives a slight note when you open the accelerator, yet without being intrusive.
The system is guaranteed for as long as you own the car, and this is a fully transferrable warranty. It's also a "No Hassle" warranty - we believe it is the very the best warranty in the industry.
If you are interested in technical specifications, the system is built in 304 grade stainless steel throughout, and assembled using high frequency TIG welding. All of our systems are built using freeflow technology, so your engine will breathe better than with conventional systems. This usually gives a noticeable improvement in the torque from your engine - particularly at lower revs. We have numerous testimonials from customers who have experienced both improved engine performance and fuel economy.
Fitting is by appointment - we usually require a vehicle like yours for around 3.5 hours while we custom build and fit the system. we also have a courtesy car available so you can pop off to the shops or for lunch while yours is with us. There is no charge for the courtesy car..
To custom build and fit a Longlife system onto your vehicle, the price with a polished tailpipe works out at price we agreed on.
I trust that this is of interest to you. If you want to book in, or require any further information, then please call either myself or Kelvin on 0113 2798944 .
We are based on the Lakeside industrial estate, Tong road, Leeds, LS12 4QP.
Thanks for contacting us,
Regards,
Tony Banks Longlife Exhausts

Also I have to say I sent the message bank holiday Monday and received a reply on bank holiday Monday super quick!

The price now is achievable, time to get saving! (donations welcome lol)

As i'm writing this I just received another e-mail, I asked how long could they honour that price (ill have to save afterall) and what happens with the bumper it's an a3 with no cut out, anyway here's the reply less than 24 hours later (on a Saturday):

Hi
no problems with the price we dont have an increase till sept . we can shave the bumper immaclately to accomodate the tailpipe you choose
many thanks
Tony

Brilliant! Service so far great!

When I have the funds I will post again with a review of the whole process with pics and I might even push the boat out and do a few video's (so you can hear the note).

I'm hoping to get it done before AITP but like I say ill keep you all posted :) ....................

*************TO BE CONTINUED***********

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sandra
Thats a nice write up Carl, very interesting reading, the facts are all there even down to the spec of materials they use, the price is good. Im sure the customer service you will get when you go ahead will be second to none. Its good to hear about companies like this. Hope you get the money together soon Carl. I look forward to hearing more. :) x

I used Tony for my first exhaust and found him to be excellent and would also recommend him anytime:)

Try and opt for 3 Inch downpipe and cat/decat.
longlife cant usually bend said pipe, but theyl order pre bent pipe in. will raise the price slightly

UPDATE: I'm £9 away from my target price for the exhaust! (after saving a little)

I have a dilemma though :/ since the ex took the sofa I've just been sitting on the computer chair, which is fine by me, just be nice to chill sometimes on a sofa, however I do have a bed with a 42" tv at the end.

So it's down to you lot, do I get the lovely shiny turbo back exhaust with sports cat and decat pipe? or do I get the sofa that ive managed to live without without for 9 months?

Come on, this is important, metal or fabric???????

You decide

car is more important that you back/comfort, just sit in your car and rev it a little will make you smile more than any sofa

Reactions: azman and cjsuk
sell the tv, you can watch anything online anyway.
Buy a cheap sofa bed. sorted

Get the exhaust, you know you want to Carl, lol. Save for the sofa next, you know you be more in the car than in the house anyway, better still, buy a beanbag and thats the seating sorted for a while. :) x

Reactions: vivalacoulter, Pedrosousa and cjsuk
Reactions: vivalacoulter and Sandra
Im not just a pretty face you know Carl. (i will await the comments on that) lol. :) x

I would love to comment but I haven't seen you yet lol, I will however remember this post and once I eventually see you I will comment lol :)

I would love to comment but I haven't seen you yet lol, I will however remember this post and once I eventually see you I will comment lol :)

Lmao Carl. :) x

Lmao Carl. :) x

It just so happens by the power of the digital eara, I now know what you look like, so I shall now comment (please be aware my keyboard batteries are low).

Here is my comme.....

Probably sell our Sofa's once the house is done up! Get the exhaust!

Looks like it's going the exhaust's way so far, more opinions are welcome but in the morning I'll be making my choice based on all your input lol

For now it looks like ill be booking the old girl in at tony banks, ooosh!

Ok, its morning, Ill go with the majority :) Trip to tony banks today to book the old girl in :)

Next Monday it's happening :)

WP 001350

Thats good Carl. Im sure you be looking forward to that. :) X

Thats good Carl. Im sure you be looking forward to that. :) X

oh yes just a little lol can't wait! I just haven't decided on the tail pipe lol so.........

Can anyone post pics of there tail pipes I'm allowed a single pipe (for the price) but this can be inner rolled or outer rolled any size and can be slash cut remember it's coming out of the A3 8L bumper not an s3 they will trim to accommodate cheers guys n gals

Reactions: Sandra and TOTE
FOr sure the best option, sofa can wait! Im looking to get something similar done to my A3 soon - anyone know of/recommend anyone down south (Southampton Area) with the same kind of deal that Mr. Tony Banks is offering? Seems great!
Enjoy it Carl, looking forward to seeing the results!

FOr sure the best option, sofa can wait! Im looking to get something similar done to my A3 soon - anyone know of/recommend anyone down south (Southampton Area) with the same kind of deal that Mr. Tony Banks is offering? Seems great!
Enjoy it Carl, looking forward to seeing the results!

Try Mike Stokes Motorsport in Bournemouth mate, they do Powerflow and a guy by the name of Jon Priestly builds the systems. He's the mutt's nuts - what he can't build aint worth building lol. He has a real talent for building symmetrical systems, the welds are tip top and he can build pretty much anything you like :)

Let us know how you get on, I'm in the process of getting a decat/back system built for my s3, not sure whether to stay at 2.5" or step up to 3", I don't want a noisey exhaust. I may just go to tony.

Today is the day, it's here in 10 mins ill be setting off to tony banks to have the zorst done, i'm actually a little excited lol

Unfortunately I have to go to work whilst the work is done :/ BUT im going to ask tony if he will take some pics whilst the install is going on, if he forgets it looks like ill be crawling under later lol

Anyway hope you all have a nice day, I will :)

Reactions: AVLO, kwistof, Sandra and 1 other person
Good stuff..... Like a kid on Christmas mornin....lol... You can open it later...

Any update on this Carl? Do you get the car back today? :) x

Apologies for my quietness im at work, but I have had a call just now telling me the car is ready :) this morning all was explained ie tone, tip cat cheeter just got to get out of work now to get my hands on the old girl :)
Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

New zorst 1

New zorst 2

Couple of pics to keep you going, going to do a full review in a separate thread.

I'm going to try and get a vid and more piccys asap, just bear with me :)

Thanks...Happy Bunny Carl :)

Got to love shiny new parts- especially ones that will make your car sound better and release a bit more performance :)

Car looks ace Carl. Im sure your a happy chap now. :) x

Car looks ace Carl. Im sure your a happy chap now. :) x

Cheers Sandra, just looked at some original pics of it, and it's coming on i'm happy :)

Tailpipe looks perfect imo

Cheers, it was one of the hardest choices ive had to make this year...which tail pipe and how big? lol think I pulled it off tho :)

Got to love shiny new parts- especially ones that will make your car sound better and release a bit more performance :)

We all love shiney parts :) The sound is like a 3 stage thing 1. tick over, you know its there but wont wake next doors cat 2. Low revs with gear change, hear turbo and dump from the rear as well as the front (im gonna call it stereo spool) with a slight cackle and not too intrusive note. 3. Foot down just a bit over refined until the turbo kicks in then all hell lets loose I can only describe it as a controlled loudness it sounds awesome and grown up if you get me lol.

As for performance sounds daft but have you ever been on the loo and pushed and pushed until your red in the face and then all is released? That's what the old girl outside feels like now after pushing for a year it feels light does the car if that makes sence? I haven't the money for fuel lol so I cant really go in to depth from a driver point of view but first impressions are good :)

Reactions: m19lte and Sandra
Another happy customer :) great stuff, I think I'm going to have to give tony a call, 3" full bore for the s3 ;-)

Reactions: cjsuk
Bet she sounds mint Carl. At least you don't have to worry about it being wonky!;-)

Reactions: ShaunS3 and cjsuk
Looks great, i've used Tony Banks exhausts for my last few cars, can't fault the quality of his work at all,when the S4 needs a system that's where i'll be heading.

Very nice,and it suits the rear!Now the sound we need to hear the sound...!

Right due to the weather and traffic I couldn't do much, but I managed to get a work colleague who I give a lift to do a couple of little sound vids, I will get some better ones asap 1st is on the inner ring road in leeds 2nd is in the tunnel of the inner ring road (this is where everyone seems to test there exhausts, bear in mind it's rush hour so I couldn't do much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: superkarl, TOTE, m19lte and 1 other person
Hi amazing sound,did mine today but mine is a diesel car but it sounds really good.will do a post later.