a3 1.8T 1/4 mile??

nky_84

6th Gear
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a new car next year as i'll be 21 and can afford a bit of an increase in power insurance wise.

Iv been lookin into the a3 1.8T and it seems pretty promising.

Does anyone know the 1/4mile times before and after a remap.

Also, if the bank ballance allows it, i'm thinkin of goin the big turbo and FMIC route! i assume this is how big power is fairly easliy achieved with this sort of car?

one more thing, does the quattro system reduce power by much on the standardish setup? Just thinking 4wd would cope better with the big power, but i might lose out if i chose not to go down that route.

cheers

Nick

If you're into 1/4 mile times and standing starts then the 4wd is going to give you a huge advantage at take off, it's very hard to spin the wheels. Did you see the Audi TT race the Nissan 350Z and Chrsyler Crossfire on Top Gear? The other cars are technically faster but only the TT had 4wd and the others never made up the ground, the TT was off like a shot. It was on sand I think, not a real situation but you see my point.

4wd is advantageous. Its a fair bit more weight, but makes power more usable in wet conditions. Handling wise, you can make the fwd handle just as well as the quattro. I think im qualified to say that fwd manages big turbo power just fine... Been done over a year now with over 320bhp, and its just fine. With 4wd, you need a good 30bhp more to make the same times (in gear times).

Rich

Unfortunately not... But trap speed went from 79mph to 103mph.

this is very crude, but i would say speeds of around 79mph would indicate a 1/4 mile of around 17s and 103 usually indicates mid 13's.

Is that 2nd trap speed just with a remap or is that after all the big work has been carried out.

I know that 4wd will get off the line quicker, but once up and running the transmission loss and overall weight surley makes the quattro the slower car.

Nick

the 79 was a 15.4... 103 was a 14.6. Crap start though, 32oC temps with a dodgy MAF, a significant boost leak and a failing fuel pump!

oh well, estimates were a fair bit off, thats a rapid time for a terminal of only 79mph. was the 14.6 with just the remap?

14.6 was big turbo.. 320ish bhp. But as i say, with a dodgy maf, boost leak, 32oC weather, and a failing fual pump!! for the FWD cars, 1/4mile times are not representative! To give you an idea, mine pulls harder at 160mph, than a standard 150bhp pulls past 50mph... My 60-100 times weer 5.8 seconds, compared to a standard 150 which would be around 15 seconds.

excuses excuses,i've managed 107 through the line as my best.

you got quattro, p20 housing and it wasnt that hot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

just messing mate,reckon there is a 13.5 in there somewhere ,best so far is a 13.8

[ QUOTE ]

I know that 4wd will get off the line quicker, but once up and running the transmission loss and overall weight surley makes the quattro the slower car.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

a3 has the haldex 4wd system (do a quick search for more info) its 4wd is electronically controlled to use 4wd when fronts slip, fronts at all other times so you get best of both worlds for the 1/4, your main disadvantage is the weight of the gearbox, gearbox is the heaviest thing on the car

The s3 is a heavy beast and i don't think it's geared that well for outright acceleration like a evo but anything in the 13's is a quick car make no mistake

[ QUOTE ]
just messing mate,reckon there is a 13.5 in there somewhere ,best so far is a 13.8

[/ QUOTE ]
You big girl ryan.
I managed 13.6@110 in mine with 2.6 60 fts.
I was doing 14.2@101 on k03s and 13.8@103 on e05 with 2.2 60fts.
I reckon I can get sub 13 next summer with some grip.

Was this at santa pod?
If it was York or anywhere else knock a good .5 second off because pod is slower.

at the pod on a slippery day. I don't count times from anywhere else either, Especially crail.

Good times,suprised it's that quick.
Reckon i could do a 13.5 if i managed a good start.

everybody loves a 2 year bump!!!!

unsure on standard 1/4 time, although id take a guess and say its around mid 16's.