gear 1 and 2

baldyplayer99

Reaction score
my s3 has sometimes got tempermental 1st and 2nd gears. the other 4 go like that clappers and are smooth and normal. but 1 and 2 are blocky, sometimes abit clunky laggy. Is my gearbox knackered? clutch?

im booked in at parsons performance next week to get a health check but just curious if anyone had this issue before

ive also got a under rattle on the car. only sometimes on start up. and always when i bumping along 1st and 2nd when in traffic it will rattle when i take my foot off the accelrator and slow down. like a vibration sort of rattle. no noise i can hear when driving normally

Probably your linkages....

It's pretty common on our cars tbh for 1st and 2nd to be difficult to engage- but should get easier after the cars fully warmed up.

Have you got an uprated dog bone mount? That's a good option to go for.

When are you off to Bens as well- I need to get mine booked in now you mention it! lol

is it going to cost me a lot if it is linkages lol... and tbh it does get better the longer you drive but still can tell it isint 100%

i havent changed the dog bone myself and no indication on paperwork.

next friday 3pm

Not 100% sure on costs of refurbishing the gearbox with new linkages...

I blew my gearbox up just after Christmas so got a second hand one for about £200 and got Ben to fit it in a day. So doubt it would cost more than £500 really.

Uprated dog bone mount would be the cheapest/easiest fix to see if it reduces the vibrations and help select gears 1 and 2.

When I got mine done I felt an improvement but it didn't make it 100% perfect.

my s3 has sometimes got tempermental 1st and 2nd gears. the other 4 go like that clappers and are smooth and normal. but 1 and 2 are blocky, sometimes abit clunky laggy. Is my gearbox knackered? clutch?

im booked in at parsons performance next week to get a health check but just curious if anyone had this issue before

ive also got a under rattle on the car. only sometimes on start up. and always when i bumping along 1st and 2nd when in traffic it will rattle when i take my foot off the accelrator and slow down. like a vibration sort of rattle. no noise i can hear when driving normally

My 1st and 2nd are slightly notchy too but otherwise fine. Not sure what it is, my thoughts are worn synchros but wouldn't worry unless it stops working! Rattle is prbably the heatsheild as mine had that problem. The bolts that hold it on had rusted so we put a small bolt through the rear area to nip it tight and it's fine now.