Shaunie's 1.8T, The addiction continues.

Shaunie Eire

Reaction score
Hello from a sunny Ireland, never thought I'd be able to say that but today is an exception:thumbsup:.

I bought this 112k miler last Tuesday, It has a full service history and only 2 owners prior to me, the former is pretty rare over here for a 12yo car!
Its a 1.8t, After selling my 530d and been bored by diesel I knew I wanted another 1.8t having previously has it in a s3 and a GTI golf. I also have a love for the 8l shape, This is my third, One PD130, an S3 and now the 1.8t.

Its Mineral Grey, I love that colour. Plans are to keep up with previous owners religious service history. Every receipt even diagnostic graphs. I need to remove those silly s line badges! Some stage I will get the front and back bumpers resprayed as the have parking scuffs :mad:. Also I will get my mate to sort the yellowed headlights.

Then some nice bits, TIP, Carbonio(hopefully), S3 headliner, maybe a milltek and then a remap.

Here is some pics because Im a pic whore :)

a3 1.8t by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

a3 1.8t paint by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

a3 1.8t interior by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

Chemical Guys New Look Gel is epic stuff

This is my S3 I had last year, Pics taken after its detail, 2 days long detail :rock:

P1050820 by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

P1050822 by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

My first 8l, PD130, full leather,symphony sound system and most other extras, Have yet to come across a PD specced like it over here.

my old a3 by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

New car seems like a nice base car mate....... 112k is nothing for these motors if properly maintained.

Sean

Thanks, Yeah its the best example I could find when looking to buy. Luckily the previous owners where anal about SH and all the usually bits have been done. Ill keep this for a while lol! I know of one over here tipping over 210k miles and its cleaner and tighter than most examples half its mileage.

Good to see another Irish man on here ;)
The car is looking great. Did u sell the red s3 to eammon aka Doc?

Hi Glen, Yeah thats the one! Im ShaunieVW on autostadt. Think I could have briefly spoken to you at one of the treacy's end/start of year meets, did you have a black polo?

Yeah my last car was a black 6n polo. I nearly bought that red s3 from Doc but went for the black one in the end. My user name on autostadt is Rado Glenn. Are u heading to the mullingar lake meet on the 16th?

Yeah my last car was a black 6n polo. I nearly bought that red s3 from Doc but went for the black one in the end. My user name on autostadt is Rado Glenn. Are u heading to the mullingar lake meet on the 16th?

I should have never of sold that car, the Bm was nothing but trouble.

Yeah Im going thats me who is organising it! I love your S3 the wheel suit it.

It was a lovely car just couldnt stretch the budget at the time. Oh right cool im hoping to make it down but ive a christening the day before so could be a bit fragile :) Cheers im really happy with how she is turning out,I want a set of black leather seats not really a fan of the cream anymore they show too much wear on them and u wouldnt see it on black,but thats a long way off yet I want more power first

Its addictive! They difference between the a3 1.8t and the s3 is phenomonal, the s3 is a different animal altogether. I only paid 3500 for that s3 as it was sitting up for 2 years and was having running issues, A good service and some vacuum and boost pipes it was flying again. I will get another s3 at some stage.

I sealed the paint at the weekend and left it for 24 hours before putting on 3 layers of poorboys Natty's paste wax, Very impressive product! With the glorious weather we are been basked in over here at the min I pulled out the camera for a few snaps down by the local canal.

Untitled by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

A3 Royal Canal by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

Lovely day :)

MPG has been fairly good, I resetted it when I bought it 2 weeks ago and all of my journeys have been 7 or 8 miles, Im very happy with it.

Does anyone know if I need a different Climate control unit when I go to fit in either a standard symphony II double din radio or RNS, as the unit will need to be moved down to where the pocket is now, I hate the horrible radio ruining the dash.

I did a bit of cleaning at the weekend. It has the original unused tyre and full unused tool kit. The wheel has a build up of dust and general crap in there as was the boot floor so I took everything out and cleaned it all.

Untitled by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

Loving the tidiness of this, makes me very jealous. Just out of curiosity, what's the colour code on this?? Looking for a colour just like this to spray my wheels and few engine bits in

Mineral Grey LY7K is the paint code.

Thanks, Its still far from perfect I will get the bumpers sprayed at some stage this year because one of the previous owner's parking skills were a bit eh.....lacking shall we say :motz: But It'll get there eventually :rock:

Thanks Dave.

My first issue. While cleaning the valve cover I pulled out all of the coilpacks but this one came apart. It took ages to get the other half out. Sorted now although this one is only fit for the bin.

coil pack by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

My Engine bay was manky, 12 years of spilt oil on the valve cover, greasy dust everywhere. So I spent a few hours over the past couple of days cleaning it. I used APC, diablo wheel cleaner, A wheel brush, a paint brush, 2 toothbrushes and a couple of microfibre cloths. It was well worth it. It is no detailing job but I'm happy for now.

engine bay by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

engine bay by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

Reactions: Gizmo20VT and JudderMan
Very clean!

strange to see heated seats with a cloth interior!

Thanks Nick. Yeah its strangely well specced for an original Irish car. Most people here go for the cheapest option they can when buying a new car. Im very happy with it so far, I need an original double din radio now.

It does look a very nice example, wish my recently acquired one was as clean. Gonna have to get my boot and engine bay looking as nice.

Loved the S3 too!

Anything can be clean with a bit of effort :o.k:. Thanks, I loved that s3 too, Regretted selling it about 3 days after.

My detailing buddy is coming out during the week to sort my hazy headlights, he did a brilliant job on my s3 headlights before! I was in my friends a4 b5 1.8tQ yesterday and he has a carbonio fitted and a forge 007p, It sounded epic so now I need a carbonio in my life!

Same colour as mine, looks like its a really good find, I'll be keeping an eye on your thread :)

Thanks! Arguably the best A3 colour I think. I have yet to see another one over here in the same colour.

So did a small bit more cleaning today and attacked on of the s3 wheels. I got bored after one so Ill do the rest tomorrow.

I never seem to take before pics but this was after a quick wipe. It was all black.

dirty by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

After some time this is the best I could get it without going anal.

cleaned by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

cleaned by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

wheel by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

I took off the plates to clean behind, A3's are one of few cars that don't pull off the no plate look.

no plate by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

For the craic I threw on my American plate. Doesnt suit it either. It used to have pride of place on my mk4.

Phuck JDM by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

This is my said mk4 gti from my 'low' days.

DSC_0001 by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

Sorry for all the pics:laugh:

Looking good mate! I can't wait to get out and give mine some love, broke my collarbone last Sunday, so housebound at the moment :(

Sorry to here. Im out at the moment with a back injury, Im dying to get under the car and do some real work but can't :banghead:

So one of the previous owners fitted a handfree in a ridiculous position where I hit it everytime I went for 5th. How it lasted 3 years in that position I don't know, So I unplugged the lot and relocated it to the drivers side vent. Much better.
Terrible phone pic but you get the point!

Handsfree new position. by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

Also everyone loves beading shots.

Beading by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

Beading by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

Your obsessed with cleaning! haha

You complained about your CD player earlier ruining your dash well at-least you still don't have the original tape player in there anymore like me! tired of explaining to people there's a CD Changer in the boot...

But on a serious note, the Cars looking great inspired me to give my engine bay a deep cleaning, probably one of the most neglected areas when it comes to cleaning.

Ha! I am bored lately as I am out of work with an injury so cant do mechanical things and limited to what I can do so cleaning it is! I love the look of a cleaned bay it also makes things cleaner to work on when needed. I really want to do the arches but cant just yet!

Id have the original tape player over a single din aftermarket tbh!

how do you get the rocker cover polished? <-- massive noob question but i love the look of the polished cover and inlet on bays and want to give it ago

Well after intially cleaning it I just used some steel wool lightly on it, I might get some metal polish at some stage to bring it up more. To do it right I really need to take it off.

ok cool so just a lot of rubbing :D im taking mine off to give it a clean and paint but not sure what colour so think i might go for shiny :)

Ha! As soon as I get OEM look piping Ill do that! I have a hatred of shiny silicone:blink:. I replaced the ARB bushes this week with the revised bushes and brackets, ***** of a job to get the bolt back in!

You would be surprised how cheap main dealers actually are, Plus you cant beat OEM quality. Few bits.

2013-07-22 20.59.09 by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

Should what else would you be at with the long summer evenings?

2013-07-22 21.10.36-2 by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

You can see here the difference between the new and old brackets and bush.

2013-07-22 21.18.23 by ShaunieRal, on Flickr

Haven't updated this in quite a while, Since then its flew through 2 NCTs and I have fitted 312mm's and 4 Uniroyal RS3's. 20k miles since last May with no issues. Then last Sunday the local Indian take away driver reversed into me as I was stationary and bent my wing and cracked my bumper :asskicking:. €1800 worth of damage. Now I may have to battle the insurance company no keep it from being written off:no:. Its very hard to photograph. However, the bumper is fecked and the wing has a couple of kinks and is full of waves as it got pushed back from the front if that makes sense.
14997030419_e9d2877c14.jpg

14997105920_d12c862b65.jpg

14997214797_dc4abb779b.jpg

14997113220_a68c99f4b1.jpg

So as the assessor is coming out tomorrow I cleaned it up to look its best

15216161516_7ea5c95fcd.jpg

15052606027_72f5b8baf0.jpg

15239189235_8ce43f73a7.jpg

15238789232_87e252c15e.jpg

Exact same damage happened to my car 2 months ago, unfortunately I wasn't near the car so have to fix it myself : (

I feel gutted for you. I can tell from reading this thread that your car is your pride and joy and as fast as that someone can ruin it.

I hope the car isn't written off... Nothing worse than having to declare your car is CAT C or CAT D and killing its value.
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread... hope everything turns out OK.

I think I'll give my engine bay a clean out tomorrow now I've seen how well presented yours is.