Passenger Electric Window Issue Help Please

Adam P

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Right, issue with the passenger electric window on my s3 8l. Was driving my car today on the motorway when randomly my passenger window went down all on its own. It then went up a little bit, then back down and continued to go up and down in stages then settled completely down when i managed to stop. From here the window would not go up at all and seems to be dead. The drivers window works fine, the illuminated switches are all on and there seems to be no individual fuse for the windows? Even when using the lazy lock function of leaving both windows down and holding the lock button on the fob only brings up the drivers side. Im stumped? could there have been water damage? You can hear something clicking inside the door card on its own accord.... As i write this my window is currently down and its raining!!!!! Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Adam P

Reactions: Adam P
Thanks for the quick reply kwistof! I have managed to get the window up for now. More luck than anything.
Am going to take the door card off tomorrow evening and investigate. The clips are only a month old as they were replaced.
Atleast my recaros will be dry over night :icon_thumright:

No worries.

Well if you did replace the clips I hope you used the upgraded ones they use in the A6 Audi. There reinforced with metal to stop the snapping. I'm sure all will be revealed tomorrow.

Keep us posted with the results

I have a broken window clip in my S3 however it's not the standard sort as per the guide above.

Below is a pic of the broken clip.

I took the passenger door apart on mine at the weekend and the clips that clip the window to regulator are completely different ... I have some up rated ones left over from my old A3 so I know what I'm doing and looking at.

Help?

7781094698_0073d10554_b.jpg

I'm certain I've seen those clips before at the bottom of my door when I took the door card off!

They were broken and not sure where they came from tbh! lol

My window has been a problem for about 3 years now, falling off the runners etc.....should really get round to fully fixing it now 'summer' is here again

Hi

Phew I'm not going mad and don't have a 'one off' by Audi.

I found mine at the bottom of the passenger door last year and never knew what it was from.

The passenger side window has always been iffy going up and down and just put it down to the 'normal' runners being fubar. I have been meaning to replace them but never got round to it.

However when I took the door apart at the weekend to change the door seal I found that my window regulator mechanism doesn't use the normal runners which we replace with the upgraded pink ones. The runner is grey and has a longer pokey-outy-thing, there's a white plastic disc which locates the hole in the window on runner.

The broken clip I've picture works a bit like a C clip and holds the window against the runner.

I am wondering if it's possible to upgrade to the standard replacement runners, but I'd need the bits that actually hold the window to the runner.

Yeah that's the same place I found my broker clip, knocking about at the bottom of the door! lol

I've never had a problem with my passenger side window *touch wood* it's always been the drivers side.

When there's a day of sunshine I'm going to take both door cards off to compare the regulators and clips on both sides and see if the issues obviously spotted.

Sounds like we have a similar fault though, as the runners and window motor works- but sometimes the window can fall away from the runner- so when the motor does kick in it will push the window against the side of the door and up- rather than just straight up; which therefore forces it back down.

Right a quick update, managed to whip off the door card today in my lunch break. After checking all the clips and runners and having a good look around everything seems to be intact which leads me to think i have an electrical fault. When removing the door card i noticed that the electrical connectors and the motor unit were wet. I have dried the internals out and currently have no door card in place. I am hoping that it will dry out and fingers crossed will work ok when i reconnect up at the weekend.

Quick Update, all fixed :) I dried out the connections, and left the door card off for a few days whilst it was warm and hey presto! reconnected back up and working fine. Putting this one down to water ingress. Thanks for your helpful posts. Much appreciated.

Nicely done.......got to love a happy ending :wub:

You gotta wonder where the water came from incase it's the next bit of bad weather & the window goes down again! Are the seals looking ok with the card off , not damaged or folded over etc ?