AH FabricationsChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kwistof

Thread: Passenger Electric Window Issue Help Please

2nd Gear

Status

Passenger Electric Window Issue Help Please

Hi guys,

Right, issue with the passenger electric window on my s3 8l. Was driving my car today on the motorway when randomly my passenger window went down all on its own. It then went up a little bit, then back down and continued to go up and down in stages then settled completely down when i managed to stop. From here the window would not go up at all and seems to be dead. The drivers window works fine, the illuminated switches are all on and there seems to be no individual fuse for the windows? Even when using the lazy lock function of leaving both windows down and holding the lock button on the fob only brings up the drivers side. Im stumped? could there have been water damage? You can hear something clicking inside the door card on its own accord.... As i write this my window is currently down and its raining!!!!! Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
    Adam P
    2001 Audi S3 8L Ming Blue - Rebuild Complete

2. # ADS
    ADS

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    I've sorted of been in a similar situation with my drivers window in the rain :-/

Quick fix for now would be to take the door card of (few minutes) and manually push he glass back up gently.

Something would have broken like a plastic cool or part of the regulator.

Here's a guide on it which is in the stickies

Broken window? Window clips? Window regulator? or motor? Guide inside
    Adam P likes this.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks for the quick reply kwistof! I have managed to get the window up for now. More luck than anything.
    Am going to take the door card off tomorrow evening and investigate. The clips are only a month old as they were replaced.
    Atleast my recaros will be dry over night

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    No worries.

Well if you did replace the clips I hope you used the upgraded ones they use in the A6 Audi. There reinforced with metal to stop the snapping. I'm sure all will be revealed tomorrow.

Keep us posted with the results
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

4th Gear

Status
    I have a broken window clip in my S3 however it's not the standard sort as per the guide above.

Below is a pic of the broken clip.

I took the passenger door apart on mine at the weekend and the clips that clip the window to regulator are completely different ... I have some up rated ones left over from my old A3 so I know what I'm doing and looking at.

Help?

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

Status

My Social Networking

I'm certain I've seen those clips before at the bottom of my door when I took the door card off!

They were broken and not sure where they came from tbh! lol

My window has been a problem for about 3 years now, falling off the runners etc.....should really get round to fully fixing it now 'summer' is here again
    2000 S3 APY

4th Gear

Status
    Hi

Phew I'm not going mad and don't have a 'one off' by Audi.

I found mine at the bottom of the passenger door last year and never knew what it was from.

The passenger side window has always been iffy going up and down and just put it down to the 'normal' runners being fubar. I have been meaning to replace them but never got round to it.

However when I took the door apart at the weekend to change the door seal I found that my window regulator mechanism doesn't use the normal runners which we replace with the upgraded pink ones. The runner is grey and has a longer pokey-outy-thing, there's a white plastic disc which locates the hole in the window on runner.

The broken clip I've picture works a bit like a C clip and holds the window against the runner.

I am wondering if it's possible to upgrade to the standard replacement runners, but I'd need the bits that actually hold the window to the runner.

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

Status

My Social Networking

Yeah that's the same place I found my broker clip, knocking about at the bottom of the door! lol

I've never had a problem with my passenger side window *touch wood* it's always been the drivers side.

When there's a day of sunshine I'm going to take both door cards off to compare the regulators and clips on both sides and see if the issues obviously spotted.

Sounds like we have a similar fault though, as the runners and window motor works- but sometimes the window can fall away from the runner- so when the motor does kick in it will push the window against the side of the door and up- rather than just straight up; which therefore forces it back down.
    2000 S3 APY

2nd Gear

Status
    Right a quick update, managed to whip off the door card today in my lunch break. After checking all the clips and runners and having a good look around everything seems to be intact which leads me to think i have an electrical fault. When removing the door card i noticed that the electrical connectors and the motor unit were wet. I have dried the internals out and currently have no door card in place. I am hoping that it will dry out and fingers crossed will work ok when i reconnect up at the weekend.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quick Update, all fixed I dried out the connections, and left the door card off for a few days whilst it was warm and hey presto! reconnected back up and working fine. Putting this one down to water ingress. Thanks for your helpful posts. Much appreciated.

Status

My Social Networking

Nicely done.......got to love a happy ending
    2000 S3 APY

1st Gear

Status
    You gotta wonder where the water came from incase it's the next bit of bad weather & the window goes down again! Are the seals looking ok with the card off , not damaged or folded over etc ?
    2000 A3 1.8t sport AUM

18 BBS LM , coilovers , strut brace , poly bushed f/end , S3 front discs , S3 rear lights , wrapped roof , face lift front lights , Forge tip , cone filter & heat shield , forge 007 DV , DV relocation kit , n249 bypass , n112 removal, SAI removal , scorpion back box , ECS shallow sump , ECS single mass clutch conversion.