Tesco 99 Ron

G-S3

Reaction score
Have any of you boys been using tesco 99 ron. How does it compare to optimax. Has anyone got some data from using it.

my S3 has been off road for 8 months. I almost fell over when i saw the price hike at my only local shell garage. 103.9!

cheers people

Check out fifth gear on Ch5 this Monday at 8pm. They're doing a comparison on different grades of fuel.
I'm not sure if it include's tesco 99 RON, but does definitely include Optimax.

good stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Just filled up on Optimax today and it was only 95.8 in south east london.

tesco 99 ron does work!!

a mate fo mine had his skyline mapped on 95, 98, 99 and 102 race fuel!

he has the HKS FCON pro ECU which allows like 8 mapping settings and you flick through!!

he says there is a noticeable hike with 99 ron and the car does feel more alibe with it.

I put some in the 911 and not a huge diff.

mate has a TVR cerb with no cats and he says it rockets on 99 ron, pops, bangs and shoots flames!

sounds like good stuff to me...and pretty cheap!

NLW

just paid 93.7 for optimax here in yorkshire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I paid 94.9 in lakeside recently for TEsco 99 RON. It seems to work, but I'm sure it doesn't have the same "cleaning" properties as optimax. I dunno, maybe it's just me being a sceptic!

I will continue to use it when it's that much cheaper than optimax though!

ANyone see fifth gear last night?

Rubbish, but they had a very interesting power and torque comparison with OPtimax, BP Ultimate and supermarket fuels.

It actually went the way you'd expect with Optimax giving significanlty more power than supermarket, and a bit more than ultimate

Im still a bit unsure on supermarket fuels. Even if 99 RON. Will need some testing. With optimax at 104p around where i live ill try anything

Yeah i saw 5th gear the optimax gave the golf gti an extra 6 or 7bhp and the subaru sti a 12bhp hike. Well worth the extra pennys if you ask me!!

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah i saw 5th gear the optimax gave the golf gti an extra 6 or 7bhp and the subaru sti a 12bhp hike. Well worth the extra pennys if you ask me!!

[/ QUOTE ]

And most noticeable was the increase in torque throughout the rev range from the tests /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I filled up with Optimax yesterday in Plymouth for only 94.9p.

Looks like the prices should be dropping back down a little soon...

Hello guys,

I have a q regarding Tescos 99 RON petrol. We have a A3 1.8 TQS and the sticker on the fuel flap says the car is mapped to 95/98 RON - so is it ok to put in 99 RON? Will the engine just cope with the extra octane?

Sorry if it sounds a little schoolboy but I'm not really a car techy!

Regards.

[ QUOTE ]
Hello guys,

I have a q regarding Tescos 99 RON petrol. We have a A3 1.8 TQS and the sticker on the fuel flap says the car is mapped to 95/98 RON - so is it ok to put in 99 RON? Will the engine just cope with the extra octane?

Sorry if it sounds a little schoolboy but I'm not really a car techy!

Regards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it will cope fine. And will run better than on 95 RON. Still debatable wether it is any better than Optimax though.

I've heard from other people that Optimax and BP ultimate are actually refined further, whereas certain other fuels (supermarket etc.) are just "boosted" to the higher octane levels.

Anyone have any knowledge on this?

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard from other people that Optimax and BP ultimate are actually refined further, whereas certain other fuels (supermarket etc.) are just "boosted" to the higher octane levels.

Anyone have any knowledge on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure optimax is just standard unleaded with an additive mixed at the pumps.

Reason ? When I fill with optimax there is a delay at the start of delivery maybe whilst it waits for the additive to come through. It doesnt do this on a standard unleaded pump even at a shell garage. Also where the tanker delivers the fuel there are nozzles for unleaded/diesel but not a separate one for optimax - not that I have seen anyway.

TBH not bothered anyway all I know is it makes a big difference to the way the car goes! Have not seen Tesco 99 around here yet so can't comment.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The additives are added at the refinery..

And shell garages have seperate tanks for optimax..

Thanks for the response guys. I filled the wifes A3 1.8TQS and my Honda Accord Type-R with Tescos 99 RON before the weekend (It was only 92.9 at the local Tesco). The A3 definately had more power throughout the rev range (previously used 95 RON, so no surprise there). The Accord (previously on Optimax) showed an improvement in the midrange (which is a bit of a weak point of the engine), so I think I'll stick to Tesco until I hear something drastically different!