S3 Turbo Upgrade

ollie2013uk

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
HI all,

Has anyone tried the K04 hybrid? I think its the K04-23 turbo?

I've seen some on eBay reasonably priced at £245? Here

From what i understand they are a direct bolt on replacement capable of 300bhp with the right map and mods?

Any advice would be gratefully received

Thanks

Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Im sure one of the boys be along shortly. Enjoy the forum. :) x

HI all,

From what i understand they are a direct bolt on replacement capable of 300bhp with the right map and mods?

Thanks
that is just a chinese replacement ko4.
a true ko4 hybrid is only available from reputable turbo manufacturers and are priced about 5x that of the one in the link.
standard ko4s are now known to reach 300hp though with ALOT of work. Hybrid varients offer anything up to 350.

what car do you have? and what is it you want?
if you share enough details people can advise.

HI all,

Thanks

Don't buy that one... its rubbish mate... have a search on here as the K04 hybrid has been done many times...

Its a bolt on replacement for the right car but as you haven't told us what you have then it will either be a little work or loads of work...

Injectors, FMIC, Badger5 TIP, 3" downpipe etc are all prerequisites for the hybrid/300hp club... optional is rods (rifle drilled), WMI and an exhaust manifold...

<tuffty/>

Thanks, for the replies.

I have at the moment a stock 2002 225 S3. I'm looking for things to do to it. I definitely want to go FMIC, forge diverter, got a green panel air filter, (wasn't too sure on cold air induction kit), forge TIP (or similar make), n75j, 4 bar fuel regulator, de cat downpipe and lose the middle silencer with a cat back box, and obviously a re-map

Thanks, for the replies.

I have at the moment a stock 2002 225 S3. I'm looking for things to do to it. I definitely want to go FMIC, forge diverter, got a green panel air filter, (wasn't too sure on cold air induction kit), forge TIP (or similar make), n75j, 4 bar fuel regulator, de cat downpipe and lose the middle silencer with a cat back box, and obviously a re-map

Things which will "actually help" performance..
80mm Turbo intake pipe.. Free flowing filter, 3" downpipe and sports cat, high flow exhaust manifold, FMIC of decent size (toyo 600*300 for example), exhaust cat back... Water/Meth kit @ 50/50 mix and of course a remap...

4bar not required as such BUT you will at some point if passing 280bhp ish that the std 386cc injectors will max out their duty cycle

All depends how far you wish to travel down the slippery slope which is 1.8t tuning

To be honest, I'm looking to achieve as close to 300 as i can get, there are mixed feelings on what to do and which way to go with it.

As long as I am as close to 300 as I can get i'll be a happy bloke, I just refuse to pay £800 for a forge intercooler and a 700 for an exhaust!

Anyone mentioned rods yet? :laugh:

Edit- just noticed Tuffty above saying it :)

If you want a hybrid then speak to Dan at beach buggy turbo's - his seem to give off the best results.

I thought rods were 300+?

Have a little play with the search bar above...

There is no definitive rod breaking mark...plus it's down to the torque that bends them as apposed to the bhp.

People have seem rods bend on stage 1 - and others are running fine with stage 2+ running 300+ lbfts.

To be honest, I'm looking to achieve as close to 300 as i can get, there are mixed feelings on what to do and which way to go with it.

As long as I am as close to 300 as I can get i'll be a happy bloke, I just refuse to pay £800 for a forge intercooler and a 700 for an exhaust!

right, i shall conclude.
a well sorted 'stage 2+' ko4 should see you close to 300hp.

you should purchase:
  • Badger5 V2 tip - £200
  • jetex/or similar cone airfilter - £15-50
  • 3 inch downpipe and decat/sportscat - £250
  • large (600x300x76) fmic such as the 'welly cooler' - £90
  • at least 2.5 inch boost pipework - £90
  • a tubular 'relentless' manifold (V3) - £200
  • a new stock, or forge DV - £30-100
  • a catback of some description (miltek, jetex, long life, powerflow etc) with 2.75 inch bore - £300-500
  • FINALLY, a custom remap by the likes of Badger5, or R-tech. £400-500
they are they basic 'bolt on' modifications that take the standard ko4 turbo to its max.
there are other things like:
  • a largeport cylinder head - £100+. + rebuild costs
  • and WMI injection - £250
however i've excluded them and left the basics.

With the above mods you will be close to maxxing the KO4 turbo IF your car is in good health.
other small mods to improve the reliability and health include:
  • N249 valve bypass - £5
  • PCV delete with simplified breather system - £30
  • oil catch can - £20+
  • spark plugs - £20
  • regular 5k oil change
  • replaced oil pickup pipe - £20
good luck. we look forward to your return

Reactions: kwistof
I thought rods were 300+?

Do you honestly think a "single" number for power or torque is going to be anything other than a "guess" as to being deemed "safe"

No such number can ever be applied. Unknown histories of cars, 10+ years old, 1000's of engine cycles, remapped at undetermined age previously, AVS engine............ so so many variables.

ROD-lottery.jpg

Close to 300 can be done with the right mods BUT.... this is very much dependant on the condition of the engine etc and supporting mods... not many cars have made it there on a std K04 turbo as they tend to be a little tired due to age (mileage makes no appreciable difference here...)

Check the stickies as there is a load of info there including FMIC's...

<tuffty/>

right, i shall conclude.
a well sorted 'stage 2+' ko4 should see you close to 300hp.

you should purchase:
  • Badger5 V2 tip - £200
  • jetex/or similar cone airfilter - £15-50
  • 3 inch downpipe and decat/sportscat - £250
  • large (600x300x76) fmic such as the 'welly cooler' - £90
  • at least 2.5 inch boost pipework - £90
  • a tubular 'relentless' manifold (V3) - £200
  • a new stock, or forge DV - £30-100
  • a catback of some description (miltek, jetex, long life, powerflow etc) with 2.75 inch bore - £300-500
  • FINALLY, a custom remap by the likes of Badger5, or R-tech. £400-500
they are they basic 'bolt on' modifications that take the standard ko4 turbo to its max.
there are other things like:
  • a largeport cylinder head - £100+. + rebuild costs
  • and WMI injection - £250
however i've excluded them and left the basics.

With the above mods you will be close to maxxing the KO4 turbo IF your car is in good health.
other small mods to improve the reliability and health include:
  • N249 valve bypass - £5
  • PCV delete with simplified breather system - £30
  • oil catch can - £20+
  • spark plugs - £20
  • regular 5k oil change
  • replaced oil pickup pipe - £20
good luck. we look forward to your return

This single post should be a sticky titled- "I want to achieve 300bhp"

As I've lost count on the number of times people have asked this question the past few months.

All the information is in the stickies and something like this could link all the stickies nicely together as there is pretty much a stickies for each bullet point.

I would like to add that you may need to upgrade your clutch if your chucking an extra 100+lbfts through it.

why bother with stickies............ its not like folks EVER read them... and when folks suggest people might find if they Search or use stickies, they often get the hump for not being helpful !

:p

Reactions: russwuss
Haha very true...

I remember being told once or twice to read them.....I finally did and I couldn't stop reading them all as there's so much useful information in them! If people are asked to read stickies...then come back and have clearly not read them- that's the people that really grind my gears

Reactions: Stuart35205
Out of interest what is the bottom hose for that connects the 2 intercoolers together?

This single post should be a sticky titled- "I want to achieve 300bhp"

As I've lost count on the number of times people have asked this question the past few months.

All the information is in the stickies and something like this could link all the stickies nicely together as there is pretty much a stickies for each bullet point.

I would like to add that you may need to upgrade your clutch if your chucking an extra 100+lbfts through it.

^^^^^
I agree sticky, but again rarely get read, imo.

But, to help newbie woobies like me, or lazy chaps, it could be quick linked/copy and pasted to show how helpfull we all are. 1st impressions go a long way for new guys. ;)