Gizmo's S3 8L round two...

Gizmo20VT

Reaction score
Hey Peeps

Been driving a mk1 caddy after selling my previous S3 to Kuvi, Spotted this one at a dealership and fell inlove :sign_omg:! Had Sidey come view the car and we Scanned for error codes aswell. The rear wheels were dragging at very low speed and full lock so after some negotiations she came home that same weekend...

2001 AMK with 167 000 kilos on the clock.

List of things that need attention

Cambelt timing
Huge boost leak
Washer water bottle leak
Haldex / Diff

So far I have done N249 bypass, replaced T piece for headlight washers behind front bumper, replaced washer bottle with new one supplied from the dealership, corrected cambelt timing, changed haldex controller (which didnt resolve the wheels dragging), changed diff oil and Haldex and all is well again :yahoo:!

Busy with haldex controller swop

Bottom marks lined up

Old T-piece

Am loving every minute of driving / working on her! I am currently busy with a sound upgrade. Will post pics a bit later.

Very nice bro!!! Can't wait to see what you with this one!

Keep them updates coming:icon_thumright:

Yay!.... facebook technical support is back online ;P...

The slippery slope has reset to the top and starts again... :D

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Gizmo20VT
Awesome stuff Gizmo! Looks like its in real good condition, except for the issues you already sorted out... REALLY can't wait to see what you have planned for this baby:yahoo:

Yay!.... facebook technical support is back online ;P...

The slippery slope has reset to the top and starts again... :D

<tuffty/>

Haha .... innit :respekt:

Told you I would find another one, Im looking forward to this :D

Reactions: <tuffty/>
Awesome stuff Gizmo! Looks like its in real good condition, except for the issues you already sorted out... REALLY can't wait to see what you have planned for this baby:yahoo:

Thanks bud. Feels good to be back in a 8L!

So replaced the front door speakers with some Pioneer 5 1/4 splits. Used the OEM tweeter housing and slipped the new tweeter in, nice snug fit.

Then used the grill from the Pioneer's and mated that to the door panel using the original speaker holes.

Test fit

All closed up, will do the drivers door panel tonight and start laying down the Cabling.

I like how you mounted the after market speakers in the door... Would never of thought of doing it like that!

My car has some ugly *** aftermarket moldings for the splits. I would like to replace my door cards because of it...

Did a test fit with my Targa amp on wednesday however it was to big to fit inside the rear quater, So the search started. I managed to find a epic deal I couldnt refuse :D Collected my Amp, sub, and new split system. Also got a set of Audison RCA's from Sidey (much love). Will fit the amp today and get everything connected up for Sidey to fine tune! Pics for kicks :p

Also fitted my Alpine IDA-X200, the deck is amazing to say the least :D!

Should be done this weekend :D!

Still busy with the sound... Removed the door panels again and busy laying down some additional dampening! Will be fitting my boost gauge this weekend and she will be receiving a detail by one of our mates! Really excited about that :rockwoot:!

Also putting together a boost leak tester as the car is boosting .6 bar on the logs...

Door lining ready to be refitted

Will be testing for leaks tonight yay....

Spent some more time on her this weekend. General service and replaced Dipstick holder(plugs, fuel filter, oil filter, motor oil and gearbox oil). Also found 3 boost leaks, Vacuum house from DV to manifold and both intercoolers had stripped clamps at the bottom. Now just to resolve the overboost issue lol :D

New plugs gapped to .7mm

Old ****e that was removed

New oil and gearbox fluid :D

One of the Clamps leaking

Then went to Sidey's house on sunday for a detail that was done by Paul (Big big thank you!!). Started masking off the rubbers, lights, door blades...

The end result is amazing, first car I have had detailed and over the moon with the finish!!! :rockwoot:

Big thanks again to Sidey and Paul!

Looking great Tiaan! Car looks brand new after the detail... The lights might need a refurbish though! Good work on the sound install too...

Looking great Tiaan! Car looks brand new after the detail... The lights might need a refurbish though! Good work on the sound install too...

Front headlights, B pillars and rear headlights will receive a polish soon :), and door blades and front and rear inserts are getting a fresh coat of paint with my wheels... Just need the right colour :think:

...And Big turbo, whens that coming?:superman: Haha... Will look brand new when thats done! Will be watching to see what colour you decide on since you like to be different!

So been busy with tweeter pods for better staging and it sounds alot better! Also got an A pillar pod from Sidey for my Autometer sport comp boost gauge , stripped it down and recovered. This morning I fixed up my headlights as the passenger side was very hazy and yellow.

Next is to get boost inline and try fix my heater, as it just blows cold air out currently and Im getting errors trying to log into HVAC (08)...

Everything you do is neat and looks like a lot of time goes into it. Fair play :thumbsup:

Reactions: Gizmo20VT
Loving the progress bud
icon_thumright.gif

Thanks buddy :D

Looking good as always bud.

Thanks Bofar, its a team effort :D!

Gizmo, what did you pick this one up for? After the work on mine is done I think I might consider flogging her...

Fitted a forge 007 and new N75, Boost is back inline however my WG pressure is still not what it should be on stock, currently im hitting aroun .3 - .4 bar max with N75 unplugged. Would like to get that back to .5 - .6 then ill start with my map.

Nice work Gizmon, and no pics!? Jokes...

I have a question though: I also recently replaced my n75 as my boost wasn't always consistent and surged a bit. With the new valve in I reach the requested boost but it still surges quite a lot. The best I can explain it is when its under load in 3rd or 4th the boost surges up and down a minimum of 3 times before settling?
Can it be actuator related? The bolt came loose once and I tightened it back where I thought was the right position but it could be to stiff or too loose? What do you think?

Sorry for the highjack...

Nice work Gizmon, and no pics!? Jokes...

I have a question though: I also recently replaced my n75 as my boost wasn't always consistent and surged a bit. With the new valve in I reach the requested boost but it still surges quite a lot. The best I can explain it is when its under load in 3rd or 4th the boost surges up and down a minimum of 3 times before settling?
Can it be actuator related? The bolt came loose once and I tightened it back where I thought was the right position but it could be to stiff or too loose? What do you think?

Sorry for the highjack...

Log group 115 and 118, that would be a starting point to see if your WGDC is up to something funny.

I logged them this week... I'll post them on my thread and you can take a look please?

Did the joey mod on one of my headlights, also tried to get the lense in better condition as my one headlight is new and the other is the original :think:.

The adjust clip was broken upon removal.... so had to do a little mod after sticking it back together so It wouldnt break again. The clip is such a tight fit over the ball that it streches the plastic which is what causes the break.. I sanded down 2 sides of the ball on the motor so when fitting it back it could just slip into the clip and when rotating the unit back in place it would sit flush.

Will be starting on the other headlight tomorrow, would like to put some clear lamin-x on before fitting back :D

Nice work Gizmo. Those clips are so brittle and weak. Both of mine broke as soon as you just look at them a bit harshly... I used some metal clips I found in the garage, drilled a hole through for the screw and it worked ever since:superman:

I wanted to use server cabinet clips like my first headlight but after looking at the actual clip it would need some distance for the motor to move when adjusting so it would just pop out... Do you have S3 headlights?