Badger5Monster Motorsport
    HTC
    6th Gear

Status

I had a poo at Jabbasport!

And made a stinky! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, had a remap too. Made 219bhp and 236 lb/ft at about 3700rpm which is okay as I run 95 unleaded due to the millions of miles I drive.

Although he could have made it a nice round 220bhp! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    He did say that if it was mapped with super unleaded that it would have made more, but thats cool.

As for the map itself, I had the main man Mike T working on my car which I felt good about. Took him about 4 hours. I counted about 20 runs on dyno! This guy is thorough. He had to add a 4 bar FPR to get the mixture right.

The car feels great now, really smooth. It drives like standard when off boost but with a hint of extra low down torque. On the power its smooth also. No spikes etc, just pulls harder and harder the further up the rev range....nice!

Only down side is that I drive a mate's chipped S3 regularly and I'm used to that now so mine feel a bit slow already!
    Hmmm, BT time next year perhaps?

A few pics for those interested.

Jabbasport = a shack in the countryside.

Workshop

Bill Brockbanks 400+bhp IHI Ibiza monster in bits. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

My car on the rollers (yeah it needs a wash!)

Anyways, time to go drive my car a bit more [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status

Re: I had a poo at Jabbasport!

nice one, sounds like your gonna be having more fun now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

really should get mine remapped.. just too paranoid about the clutch and the crappy brakes.

6th Gear

Status

sorted, what else have you done to get that performance from an A3? Is it a KO3?

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    sorted, what else have you done to get that performance from an A3? Is it a KO3?

[/ QUOTE ]

KO3s if I remember right with Turbo tip and a few other bits.

Good figures though dude I would be pleased.

Anyone know what rims that blue S3 is running?

HTC
    6th Gear

Status

Cheers guys. Totally forgot about the spec DOH!

K03-052 (turbo (non silenced type for nice spooling noise) or K03s as they are known.

Samco TIP and forge DV.

The blue car is a T sport quattro.

The wheels are compomotive I think.

...Watching you!

Status

They are Compomotive Mo's. 18" only come in 6 spoke, but 17's and below are 5 spoke. Shame as the 5's look nicer. I believe that is Mikes car!

Rich

2nd Gear

Status

I'm planning a trip to Jabba, I'm guessing your car is a later car than mine, I've been promised approx 190-195bhp on my early 97 1.8t A3. Is there any cheap mods so I can't get to the 200bhp

5th Gear

Status

I had the main man Mike map my car and he is the best in the business.
    360 ponies to prove it!!

Slowest car ever round the Top Gear track?!?

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm planning a trip to Jabba, I'm guessing your car is a later car than mine, I've been promised approx 190-195bhp on my early 97 1.8t A3. Is there any cheap mods so I can't get to the 200bhp

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not really... new turbo (K03s or K04), but that's not cheap!

Mine made 197.8 on AmD's rollers which is close enough for me. That's 201 PS!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Besides, the figures from RRs are a bit make-believe, you can only really judge it on before and after the same day if the conditions don't change. I've heard before that tyre pressures can effect the readings quite a lot! The important thing is your car will be quite a lot faster afterwards!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

HTC
    6th Gear

Status

Yeah, you want to concentrate on how the car drives rather than power figures.

Mines an early model. I got the later turbo silly cheap and fitted it myself so it was a cost effective upgrade for me.

Buying one for full price and paying someone else to fit it isn't worth it really for the extra 20-30 bhp over the standard charger.

Slowest car ever round the Top Gear track?!?

Status

Did it fit on the original manifold out of interest? And was it an easy job?

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]

The blue car is a T sport quattro.

The wheels are compomotive I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers for posting that pic.

I am on the look out for winter wheels as you probably know. My idea was to get a set powder coated in same colour Anthra, but if I can find a set of these in the 5 spoke design they would be ideal [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

HTC
    6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Did it fit on the original manifold out of interest? And was it an easy job?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the later turbos are a straight swap. The only mod is that the metal inlet pipe either needs to be swapped for a samco silicone inlet, an inlet from a later turbo or you machine out the original item. The later charger's inlet is a couple of mm larger.

As for ease of fitment, its hard to say. I'm an ex mechanic so I used to do this sort of thing for a living and yes it was easy for me.

If you are a pretty good DIYer, then go for it, but if you haven't worked on engines and particularly turbos before then perhaps its best left to someone else. If you need to ask any questions, just let me know.

HTC
    6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]

I am on the look out for winter wheels as you probably know. My idea was to get a set powder coated in same colour Anthra, but if I can find a set of these in the 5 spoke design they would be ideal [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This what you're are after? Not sure if the offset is right or not?

Click me

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This what you're are after? Not sure if the offset is right or not?

Click me

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah they are the ones I am after, but the price is a bit more then I pay for wheels without tyres as I will be getting them powder coated as well.

Also as you say I am not sure about the offset.

...Watching you!

Status

That offset would be OK. They are only 7.5 wide. I running 8.5" with ET35... so 7mm closer in would be just fine.

Rich

5th Gear

Status

I travelled there in 2001 when i had my golf chipped and mike was the only guy who done the chipping then and mine was soldered in although it was a 2001 golf with a serial port - it made 232 bhp.

Jabbasport is twice the size it used to be now.

Looks like 500hp is the target for that quatty.

HTC
    6th Gear

Status

I think my chip is probably soldered in too. I think I'll have a check later.

5th Gear

Status

nope mikes cars not having the 500bhp.

2nd Gear

Status

Can you have the car mapped for super unleaded, then if you then need to run a lower rating octane you can, but it will run less bhp. I'm guessing the ecu will self learn?

I'm going for a remap next year and have a Sainsburys near that sells super unleaded. Just thought it may get me 200bhp on my early 1.8t

HTC
    6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Can you have the car mapped for super unleaded, then if you then need to run a lower rating octane you can, but it will run less bhp. I'm guessing the ecu will self learn?

I'm going for a remap next year and have a Sainsburys near that sells super unleaded. Just thought it may get me 200bhp on my early 1.8t

[/ QUOTE ]

No not really. I thought the same, but after a few discussions came to the conclusion that you should map the car for the fuel you plan to use.

Its more than just a few degrees on the timing. It has to do with boost levels and fueling etc.

RichA3Turbo will tell you how bad his car runs on standard unleaded, whereas it flys on super as thats what its mapped for.

You may hit 200bhp with the early k03, but you have to really push the boost up which tuners are not happy to do due to the reliability issues.
    Also at overly high boost the k03 is working out of its efficiency range and just pumping hot air literally.

...Watching you!

Status

Yep, really makes a difference! Only ran it once on anything other than optimax.

2nd Gear

Status

Hmm Ok, just was not keen on Optimax after owning Subarus and their thrist for it, plus when I sell the car it may be easier to sell with a map for 95 Ron. Thanks for the advice.
    I'll stick for the standard remap [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

...Watching you!

Status

Standard remapped cars will be fine on 95, even if mapped on optimax... The remap wont push the car to the limit so will be fine. WIll run better on it, but the engine will compensate!

Rich