Badger5Sky Insurance
    4th Gear

Status

My Car's Just Gobbled Up 2.5L of oil....

I don't use my car a great deal and when I do it's driven frugally...unless the gf isn't in the car . Changed the oil in January for some expensive synthetic stuff and this morning I had 3 people in the car, driving up a hill in 4th gear (50mph speed limit road) and the oil light popped on saying it was low. I waited to get to the flat, shut it off and waited a bit in case it was just the hill. Slowly drove to a garage to get some oil as it didn't make any difference.

Topped it up, checked it, topped it up a bit more, dunked even more in and it still wasn't making a difference. Ended up putting 2.5L in (fully synth) for it to get up the mark. The dipstick holder isn't broken, the car isn't really stressed a great deal and always warmed up/cooled down. I just think 2.5L is a bit much. Hopefully the level is showing the correct amount now as I know too much oil is bad. Do these cars use THAT much in a few months? I know other Audis need topping up every 1k miles or so, but haven't heard this with the 8L.

I was going to change the oil in a few weeks as I've just clicked over 5k miles since it was changed.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport AUM K03S|Second owner|Forge 007p|CM TIP|Yellow Dogbone|Pipercross panel
    To Fit - Decat then Mapping WANTED: Audi A4 B7 or MK5 Golf GTi (manual)(Want to Buy December 2014 so Keep Me in Mind)

2. # ADS
    ADS

silver sleeper

Status
    sounds like alot to me! is it smoking or is there an oil leak?
    1999 apy s3, n249 delete, sai and n112 delete. bbs lm reps, s2000 filter, relentless v3 manifold, relentless downpipe and sports cat, scorpion cat back system, badger 5 v3 tip, bam rocker cover, push in coilpacks, toyosports fmic, amd remapped to 280.3 bhp and 263.9 lb/ft.

4th Gear

Status
    Nope, no smoke, no oil. No nothing.

It runs like a dream. 120k miles.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport AUM K03S|Second owner|Forge 007p|CM TIP|Yellow Dogbone|Pipercross panel
    To Fit - Decat then Mapping WANTED: Audi A4 B7 or MK5 Golf GTi (manual)(Want to Buy December 2014 so Keep Me in Mind)

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    You do need to keep on top of checkng mate, I think audi themselves say that 0.5L in 1000 miles isn't an issue, so a few thousand miles could well see a few litres gone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

4th Gear

Status
    Fairy'nuff. TBH January seems like yesterday so it's my fault really for not checking so often. Think the last time was probably March.

I'll see what Mr Opie Oils has on special

4th Gear

Status
    To be honest if you have not checked the oil level in 5 months//5000 miles then you are very lucky not to have FUBAR'd engine. Oil is the life blood of any engine, especially a turbo, and should be checked as a minimum monthly, preferably weekly it only take a moment to do. Hopefully no damage has been done. If it sounds a runs OK now you have probably got away with it this time
    1999 Audi S3 Superchips remap, Forge 007p, Phatnoise, Black Diamond Discs & DS2500 pads, N249 Deleted, Badger 5 TIP, Poly dogbone bush, Bilstein B8's and Eibach Springs.

1986 Audi Coupe Quattro 2.2 restoration project

4th Gear

Status
    True mate, I know it's my bad. I've just been busy and don't use the car that much (well, I actually thought I used it less than the 5k miles). I'm usually really anal about checking stuff and sniffing out problems before they occur (actually sniffing them out...from my old car days)