S3 Rear brake upgrade or repair.

TwinCamMan

Reaction score
I have a 2000 S3, and have an issue with the rear brakes. The handbrake section of both the rear calipers are seized and even with the handbrake continuously off the rear brakes don't fully release. While the calipers aren't leaking the pistons have some corrosion on them so it's only a matter of time, the pads are shot and need to be replaced and the discs are in no great shape either but will do if I have to leave them there and have the option to skim them. The brake fluid has been changed.

I tried removing the rear discs for a closer look but they wont budge (and yes I have removed the bearing nut and locating screw), if I use anymore force to try and remove the rear discs I will definitely have to replace them. The rear subframe is heavily corroded so I'm presuming they are being held on with rust.

With all this in mind, for the rear, is there a better caliper and disc setup that is used. I have heard of changing front calipers for Passat ones as they have better braking force with a slightly bigger piston, but is there anything like this for the rear.

Would be intersted if anyone has thoughts on this before I go down the route of replacing the piston and seals in the calipers, changing the pads and probably the discs too.

In terms of upgrading the calipers mate theirs nothing really out their without spending £££'s, id get the calipers refurbed and fit with a good quality discs and pad.

Std rear brakes are more than adequate for the S3.... there is very little braking bias to the rear to prevent it swapping ends... there are larger disc 'upgrades' available... but these are on the basis of upgrading the front to larger discs to retain braking bias...

Larger pistons will only give you a longer pedal... not really an 'upgrade'.... there is brake info (inc rear disc upgrades) in the stickies..

<tuffty/>

New pads discs and refurb calipers is what I would do in your position.

What's the best grease to use to refurb the callipers with? My rear ones a tad sticky and needs sorting

Thanks lads it's the answer I was looking for, I've the seal kit, pistons, discs and pads on the way. I'd read through the stickies but it wasn't giving me an alternative to what I'm going to be doing.

What's the best grease to use to refurb the callipers with? My rear ones a tad sticky and needs sorting

I take it you're only greasing the caliper sliding pins. I clean the pins with a fine wire brush and then I use a thin coat of Molykote 1000 paste on them before reassembly.