Starting to hate my car and running out of ideas

Grale1

Reaction score
As some of you may know I have issues with a left hand pull, I'm at a lose to get to the bottom, I've had hunter alignment done, replace both ball joints, both track rod ends, both inner tie rods, and got fully poly bushed wishbones and changed to coilovers.

I'm running out of idea as what it could be, I thought maybe rack but it doesn't leak. Took it to a garage today and spent a couple of hours looking over the underneath, subframe doesn't look bent. Checked everything over, paid for another alignment as I put the poly'd wish bones on so they adjusted the toe as they say you can't adjust the castor or camber, to top it off there printer was running low on ink so I didn't get the "after" print out, I was standing next to them so I know they weren't telling a fib.

Starting to wonder if the car is bent.

All tyres are same pressure tread depth the same, wheels balanced correctly matching tread patterns.

At a lose to what it could be.

simon

Could it be road camber giving the impression of steering problems ?

Def not road camber, I was going to ask a friend if I could try there standard wheels on mine. Not sure how to tell if a calliper is binding ( sounds stupid I know ). I was thinking front subframe as it drifts left when you coast also, you can feel the wheels twitching every now and then through the steering wheel, like wondering on the camber.

My car is the same, all bushings are ok , car is lowered and has slight pull to the left only thing is I don't have the rear adjustable arms so its pulling , otherwise it handles like a dream :icon_thumright:

If it pulls to the left it doesn't handle like a dream.

A3's as stock cars were designed to lightly pull incase the driver fell asleep, they were designed to eventually take you off the carriage way. Shouldn't be noticible though.

If it has had a four wheel alignment and was all ok it shouldn't pull, at all. So you have an issue somewhere. Are both front tires the same size? Are the track rods fitted on the right side? Have you replaced the subframe bushes?

It has a slight pull ,not as severe as grale's car but I'm impressed with its handling ; )

i know this might sounds daft but have u got a pair of wheels u could try on the front just a couple of spares or something like that

also are your tires directional if fitted on the wrong way they can cause similar issues

Klappe, the front tyres are the same, ( AVONS ) and yes I replaced everything on both sides at the same time, and no I haven't changed the bushes in the front subframe or the rear axle, but I have noticed that the inside edge is wearing on the drivers side rear wheel

Sounds fuuuucked :(

Are the sills straight? When did the problem start? Bent rear beam/worn axle bushes is a possibility

I had the rear beam changed its been like it since I got it but seems to be worse now, one side of the rear beam looks like it sticks out more than the other ( drivers side ). Sills look ok, it's annoying as it seems to be quite common on golfs.

I find it hard to let the car go, I like the shape of the 8l so may have to look round for another if I can't solve this puzzle lol

I couldn't afford to get rid at the moment lol, when I say it's bled me dry it really has bled me dry, I read somewhere about someone put the alignment gear from the front put on the back and back on the front and adjusted it to the rear axle and it worked??? Have my doubts about that

You need a proper 4wa **** hunter ...everybody jumps on that band wagon..did you know you they have to know how to use it!!! you need to know the thrust angle and go from there ...if there printer is ****** tell them your money has vanished and do one.....:beerchug:

Man its such a shame you havent sorted it pal. Saw you the other daynand the car is looking the nuts.

I would help out but ive broken my wrist so cant drive apparently

Ive had a few tuned cars that all seem to do this, would it pull to the right if we lived abroad?? I think we get obsessed mate with every thing having to be on track especially when we've spent a few quid, are u happy with the motor in general?? every day I think is this right is that right but I still smile when I feel the torque, just go with it or sell it, what can you do???

Thrust angel is almost dead on, it was in green at 0.02, maybe it is torque if I had the money I'd fit an LSD. Yes I do like the car I like the colour.

Check your brake pads for uneven wear.

I've checked the discs and pads, left rear seems to have a lip on the disc and the right side doesn't, I did look through paper work and the drivers side rear calliper was replace shortly before I bought the car, so could be a sticky/ knackered calliper as it pulls left also when braking, I think this is where I may look into more as I remembered the other week I had the car on stands on the back and the left rear doesn't spin as freely as the rear right,

How would you go about unsticking the piston? I would of used cooper grease on the sliding pins on the carriers, the rear calliper piston if I remember rightly do you twist and push it to get it to go back in as if putting new pads in?

they are a bit of a sod to wind in, i done one recently... i levered with a wheel brace while the missus (need two people without the right tool) attempted to use!-) some parrot pliers to turn it clockwise, went in after 10 minutes of moaning at each other and her saying she cant lol.... bless her.

The full left and right handed kit is £14 on eBay , just used mine for the first time to change my rear discs and pads and is a pukka bit if kit :)

Reactions: voorhees
Well passenger rear wheel spins round nicely, drivers rear doesn't spin freely and the tyre is mis shaped also, but I'm not sure if that could be the problem