Chris NottAH Fabrications
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lewis583

Thread: Full Service - 112,000miles

BÜBENGRÖPEN

Status

Full Service - 112,000miles

Well the car is getting on a bit now and I'm looking at carrying out a full service myself. Competent enough to do majority of things so why not. Following things are being considered...

Brake Fluid
    Washer Fluid
    Spark Plugs
    Ignition Coils
    Oil & Filter
    Fuel Filter
    Pollen Filter
    Disks and Pads
    Coolant Check
    Tracking (garage)
    Generic Health Check
    Air Filter Clean
    Wipers
    PAS Fluid
    Gearbox Fluid
    Cambelt & Waterpump (need doing before 120,000 - worth upgrading?)

Is there anything else I should check or be aware or when carrying out some of these? I've worked with the plugs before and oil filter so pretty much OK with those. Does anyone recommend any specific parts?

P.S. About a week ago I turned car over and within an instant the engine cut out. After giving it a moment or to I started the car again and there was no issues. Any ideas?

Cheers in advance!
    Kristian
    No longer an Audi driver...

2. # ADS
    ADS

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Drop the sump, clean it out and change the oil pick up pipe?
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    Well the car is getting on a bit now and I'm looking at carrying out a full service myself. Competent enough to do majority of things so why not. Following things are being considered...

Brake Fluid Yes, if it hasn't been done within the last 2 years
    Washer Fluid Unless it stinks or comes out like sludge, I wouldn't bother. Just top it up
    Spark Plugs Yes, if they haven't been done within the last year
    Ignition Coils I wouldn't bother if it isn't misfiring, can't see the sense in fixing something that isn't broke
    Oil & Filter Yes
    Fuel Filter Yes, if it hasn't been done within the last year
    Pollen Filter Yes
    Disks and Pads Unless they're worn or you are upgrading, then there's no point
    Coolant Check Can't hurt to check it with a % strength tester
    Tracking (garage) Has it been lowered recently or had suspension changed? If not and you aren't getting uneven tyre wear then I would leave it
    Generic Health Check Not sure what is meant by this, if it's checking suspension/exhaust/CV boots etc, that should be checked with every service
    Air Filter Clean Can't hurt I suppose, assuming it is aftermarket(Jetex/K&N/etc). If just a paper filter then replace if dirty
    Wipers If they're smearing or juddering/making noise, yes. If not, then why bother
    PAS Fluid Couldn't hurt, though I, personally, would check to see if it's actually dirty/contaminated before changing
    Gearbox Fluid Yes, if you are unsure whether it has ever been done
    Cambelt & Waterpump (need doing before 120,000 - worth upgrading?) Might aswell, it will need doing in 8,000miles anyway, you could change the coolant aswell. A standard Gates/Contitech full belt kit (Idler/tensioner/damper/belt/bolts) would suffice

Is there anything else I should check or be aware or when carrying out some of these? I've worked with the plugs before and oil filter so pretty much OK with those. Does anyone recommend any specific parts?

Filters don't have to be OE/genuine. Just make sure they're a good brand, I.E. Mann filters/Purflux/Fram. My personal preference is Mann filters. 9 times out of 10, the genuine filters are made by Mann, they just come in a pretty box

P.S. About a week ago I turned car over and within an instant the engine cut out. After giving it a moment or to I started the car again and there was no issues. Any ideas?

Cheers in advance!
    Kwistof makes a good point regarding the sump pick up pipe. Would be soft not to, considering the amount of other work that's being done.
    kwistof likes this.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

BÜBENGRÖPEN

Status
    Just clarifying a few things;

> I changed the pickup pipe last year after I needed the sump replacing due to catching it on a speed bump
    > Brake and Pads are on the way out so need doing anyway.
    > The air filter is K&N Panel Filter and has been in a while.
    > Tracking is slightly out but nothing major - think it's just peace of mind more than anything but cost dependent.
    > Super, will ignore the ignition coils but plugs are a defnite.
    > Wipers are a few years old now and seem to have a tendecy to smear not too long after been cleaned properly.

Cheers for advice though

P.S. I noticed you are breaking an A3 - any decent parts fella?
    Kristian
    No longer an Audi driver...