Full Service - 112,000miles

Wizza

Reaction score
Well the car is getting on a bit now and I'm looking at carrying out a full service myself. Competent enough to do majority of things so why not. Following things are being considered...

Brake Fluid
Washer Fluid
Spark Plugs
Ignition Coils
Oil & Filter
Fuel Filter
Pollen Filter
Disks and Pads
Coolant Check
Tracking (garage)
Generic Health Check
Air Filter Clean
Wipers
PAS Fluid
Gearbox Fluid
Cambelt & Waterpump (need doing before 120,000 - worth upgrading?)

Is there anything else I should check or be aware or when carrying out some of these? I've worked with the plugs before and oil filter so pretty much OK with those. Does anyone recommend any specific parts?

P.S. About a week ago I turned car over and within an instant the engine cut out. After giving it a moment or to I started the car again and there was no issues. Any ideas?

Cheers in advance!

Drop the sump, clean it out and change the oil pick up pipe?

Well the car is getting on a bit now and I'm looking at carrying out a full service myself. Competent enough to do majority of things so why not. Following things are being considered...

Brake Fluid Yes, if it hasn't been done within the last 2 years
Washer Fluid Unless it stinks or comes out like sludge, I wouldn't bother. Just top it up
Spark Plugs Yes, if they haven't been done within the last year
Ignition Coils I wouldn't bother if it isn't misfiring, can't see the sense in fixing something that isn't broke
Oil & Filter Yes
Fuel Filter Yes, if it hasn't been done within the last year
Pollen Filter Yes
Disks and Pads Unless they're worn or you are upgrading, then there's no point
Coolant Check Can't hurt to check it with a % strength tester
Tracking (garage) Has it been lowered recently or had suspension changed? If not and you aren't getting uneven tyre wear then I would leave it
Generic Health Check Not sure what is meant by this, if it's checking suspension/exhaust/CV boots etc, that should be checked with every service
Air Filter Clean Can't hurt I suppose, assuming it is aftermarket(Jetex/K&N/etc). If just a paper filter then replace if dirty
Wipers If they're smearing or juddering/making noise, yes. If not, then why bother
PAS Fluid Couldn't hurt, though I, personally, would check to see if it's actually dirty/contaminated before changing
Gearbox Fluid Yes, if you are unsure whether it has ever been done
Cambelt & Waterpump (need doing before 120,000 - worth upgrading?) Might aswell, it will need doing in 8,000miles anyway, you could change the coolant aswell. A standard Gates/Contitech full belt kit (Idler/tensioner/damper/belt/bolts) would suffice

Is there anything else I should check or be aware or when carrying out some of these? I've worked with the plugs before and oil filter so pretty much OK with those. Does anyone recommend any specific parts?

Filters don't have to be OE/genuine. Just make sure they're a good brand, I.E. Mann filters/Purflux/Fram. My personal preference is Mann filters. 9 times out of 10, the genuine filters are made by Mann, they just come in a pretty box

P.S. About a week ago I turned car over and within an instant the engine cut out. After giving it a moment or to I started the car again and there was no issues. Any ideas?

Cheers in advance!

Kwistof makes a good point regarding the sump pick up pipe. Would be soft not to, considering the amount of other work that's being done.

Reactions: kwistof
Just clarifying a few things;

> I changed the pickup pipe last year after I needed the sump replacing due to catching it on a speed bump :(
> Brake and Pads are on the way out so need doing anyway.
> The air filter is K&N Panel Filter and has been in a while.
> Tracking is slightly out but nothing major - think it's just peace of mind more than anything but cost dependent.
> Super, will ignore the ignition coils but plugs are a defnite.
> Wipers are a few years old now and seem to have a tendecy to smear not too long after been cleaned properly.

Cheers for advice though :)

P.S. I noticed you are breaking an A3 - any decent parts fella?