2002 Audi A3 1.9tdi 130BHP - A couple of issues.

gunn

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 2002 A3 1.9tdi sport. Its got 92k on the clock and recently has developed a couple of niggling faults that I havent had a chance to get looked at yet.

Recently the ABS & ESP light has started intermittently coming on and when this happens the front right brakes make a grinding juddering noise along with weird feedback from the brake pedal. Anyone experienced this or something similar so I can have an idea of what needs doing and its cost. I had been told by local dealer over the phone its my brake pedal switch but all seems ok there and sounded unlikely to me.

Also my back rear driver suspension has developed a hard bang while going over small bumps, the springs return no problem and the ride is fine, just sounds and feels terrible if I go over a lowered curb or something. Any ideas there too?

All the best.

GuNN

Random abs and ESP light could be a knackered or dirty speed sensor tripping the ESP, a quick scan with vagcom may bring something up? Worst case scenario is a knackered yaw sensor I think?

Bang from rear suspension could be a sign on a tired rear shock absorber, based on your mileage, and that everything is still original I presume?

ok cheers. wheel speed sensors expensive? Thinking about it the lights normally come on in the wet, so a sensor is maybe the issue.

The rear suspension is all original.

Thanks

ok cheers. wheel speed sensors expensive? Thinking about it the lights normally come on in the wet, so a sensor is maybe the issue.

The rear suspension is all original.

Thanks

I think they are around £15, or under £20 anyways on ebay each. I recommend you get your car scanned first for any faults, if it does come up as a wheel speed sensor, it will tell you which one is faulty!

Local garage said the feedback in the pedal is more than likely a reluctor ring and tried to get me to replace the hub, wheel bearing and CV joint.
I told him no, kinda felt like he was taking the p**s.

Surely the reluctor ring can be changed without all the other hassle? I should get a Haines book lol