Programming Keys

james_suckling

Reaction score
Having bought a new key, and swapped the blade over (just for asthetics as the old key looked at bit worn), I've managed to completly ****** up the coding on all my keys now!

I've put the blade back in the original key now (because although I could get the new key to unlock the car, it wouldn't start it), but now I cant seem to have more than one key working the central locking remotely.

If I put the spare key in, and program the original key in the door, I can get it to work. If I try and program the spare key, this then works, but the other doesn't.

What am I doing wrong!!!???? I just seem to be swapping the coding from one key to the next, instead of programming them both!

how are you trying to code them, via a key in ignition and one in the door?

Programming

When

key added or replace
system malfunction

How

NOTE: max of 4 keys can be programmed (one at a time).

memory positions of existing keys can be identified using diagnostic equipment
If Diagnostic equipment available:
locate vacant memory position for new key
locate memory position for key to be replaced
carry out programming procedure for this key only
if diagnostic equipment not available: Obtain and reprogram all keys

NOTE: Existing key memory positions will be overwritten

switch ignition ON, Use key not fitted with remote control
Manually lock driver's door using key.

Complete the following within 30 seconds:

Within 5 seconds press unlock button on first key once (programs memory positions 1)
Indicator lamps flash once to indicate signal received.
Wait 5 seconds.
Press unlock button once to confirm programming.
Vehicle unlocks. Program mode deactivated.
Switch ignition OFF. Remove Key.

To program remaining keys into memory positions 2,3 and 4. Carry out the complete procedure below for each key:

Switch ignition ON. Use the key not fitted with remote control.
Within 5 seconds press unlock button at 1 second intervals, as follows:
Twice for memory position 2 (2nd key).
Three times for memory position 3 (3rd key)
Four times for memory position 4 (4th key)
Indicator lamps flash once every time unlock button is pressed to indicate signal is received,
Wait 5 seconds.
Press Unlock button once to confirm programming.
Vehicle unlocks. Programming mode deactivated.
Switch ignition OFF, Remove key.

NOTE: Ignition MUST be switched OFF between each key programming procedure.

Memory erase procedure

When

Lost key fitted with remote control
Incorrect number of keys supplied with vehicle.

Switch ignition ON.
Press unlock button 5 times, at one second intervals.
Indicator Lamp flash once every time unlock button is pressed, to indicate signal is received.
Wait 6 seconds.
Press unlock button once (to confirm erase procedure)
Switch ignition OFF. Remove key from ignition.
Remote control should no longer operate system.
Obtain and program all keys.

Thanks for that Khufu.

I was trying the one key in the ignition, and one in the door method, but could only ever code one of the keys. I now know why!!

Will try that in the morning...

sweet, that was straight out of autodata - couldn't cut n paste. Expected somebody to have answered it by the time i'd typed it all out LOL.

I agree regarding being a sticky. I take it that this is the same procedure for all audis?

hi
i have a 52 reg a3 and only have 1 key. a friend of mine had one from his 51 reg a3 which he gave me . the numbers on the keys are the same 4do so the remote can be programed . i take it i just need to get a blade cut , but do you have to go to a stealer to get the chip inside the fob programed or is there anyone in the newcastle area that does it. cheers

Yes you can use this key. As described above, you can program the remote alarm/locking part of the fob yourself. Indeed you do have to visit the dealer to have the immobiliser part adapted.

You can do the immobiliser part yourself if your car was built before march 2002, you have the four digit code from the "scratch off" panel on the plastic service key tag and yopu have access to VAG-COM.

cheers , i dont have the plastic service key so it looks like i have to go to my dealer and get robbed blind