S3 Cup Holder Retro Fit Pre-facelift

Pmol66

Reaction score
Hi people,

Half of this is a guide and the other half is just showing you how i did it because you may find a better way than my bodge... I mean improvisation ;)

Feel free to input anything that will make this an easier or better job :)

Here are some of the tools i used.
attachment.php

-Dremel type rotary tool

-8mm spanner

-Straight edge

-Screwdrivers

-Stanley knife

-Araldite

This is how mine looked before. And a pic of the cupholder i'll be bodging. I mean fitting.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Part number 1M2862531C 1M1862531C From the Seat Toledo but the Leon cupholder also fits - 1M2862531D 1M1862531D

Other cup holders will fit doing it this way, so take your pick.

-The face of this will need replacing as its not the right shape to fit the audi trim. Two of these blanks will be needed

attachment.php

Okay....

Starting by removing the glove box will help, giving more space later on.

Remove the ashtray

Remove the stereo. (My be different if you have a cage.)

Carefully prise the trim starting from the bottom and remove.

Pri out all four switches and unplug them.

Undo the two screws at the top of the cage to allow you more access.

Push both the ESP and Rear Screen heater connectors into the cage and out somewhere you can see enough wire to play with.

At this point i was unsure of what to do with rear heated screen switch so i cut the plug off and extended the wires out the way.
Will re locate at a later date. Unless you dont have heated seats then it can stay put.

attachment.php

I think i can live without the ESP lol so its been taped up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Line the stereo compartment with a rag or something to catch the mess your about to create :)

attachment.php

To get both heated seats on the right. The left one needs opening up.
attachment.php

Thats quite simple as you just need to copy the hole next to it.

attachment.php
:)

Now onto the tricky side.
attachment.php

The main bit that has to go is the central divider

attachment.php

These bits are best removed from the bottom of the holder-
attachment.php

attachment.php

The rest is up to you. Its just a matter of trail and error.

If you think you have it in ok. Make sure the cupholder operates because if one of the clips on the outer casing are pushed in, it wont work. I removed one of them.

I used a cutting disc to remove most of the plastic above and finnished off with one of the small sanding stones.

I ended up with this mess :)

*see the two peices of plastic glued on the left side of the opening. That will stop the switch from tilting (its very close to one of the clips on the cupholder though)

attachment.php

When you have gutted your cage enough it should look something like this
attachment.php

Make sure it operates then remove.

Unplug the two pins that hold the face of the cup holder on and remove the face
attachment.php

Put the c/h back in place and secure it some how, making sure its level.

I used Liquid metal and Araldite as thats all i had at the time. Make sure its nice and level and let it go off before putting the other switches back in.

Reassemble and we have nearly done.

The two blanks now need shaving down to fit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368734765351909

This is something like what it needs look like.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368734812823219

They need gutting completely to be honest.
Keep checking them up against the c/h as you shave and eventually they should go flush with the trim.

Choose your poison then stick them on.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368735213022652

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368735234305963

Job Done! Put the kettle on :)

...................Paul.

Paul

Reactions: sam4191 and Dani_B19
Very good matey, proper write up. Makes me laugh though how its only you and me that post up about this or even seem bothered haha.

So where you ended up putting the rear window switch?

Cheers dude!
I know!! I was expecting everyone to be wowed haha.. :( pmsl
We cant be the only surviving preface reprobates on here..
Its sitting underneath my ashtray for now. Im going to get my turbo re-conned first then i might get a tt one. See if that will go somewhere...

Ano i thought same pal.

Whats up with the turbo? Whats the tt rear window switch like? Ive only looked at the seat ones.

Argh just seen them. Look alot better just like the seat ones. May have to buy that as well lol.

I presumed you knew mate. Will make relocating easier being round!
I went for a plug in and to see where my oils leaking from. They told me the turbos on its last legs too :/
But on the plus side, im loosing boost at the min. I think a re con should show some power gains i never knew i could gain :)

The weirdest thing happened the other day. I went through Mcdonalds drive thru and the nice lady on window two said "would you like a cup holder" i replied "no thanks".
Then this thing popped out the dash.
I put my coffee in it and drove off without spilling any.. It was strange lol..... :)
How did you get on with your plans mate...

I don't have heated seats, so I can put the rear screen and esp next to each other :)

:) thats good news mate. Iv give up thinking of where im going to relocate my rear window switch. Doesnt seem to be many options...

Hi mate. Hows it going...
Did you get anywhere with your cup holder or more importantly, the relocation problem?
-Paul-

Oryt mate. Not yet. Ended up buying my first house and a largeport head so been a bit busy haha.

Oryt mate. Not yet. Ended up buying my first house and a largeport head so been a bit busy haha.

Oh fair enough mate. Same here nearly. Just settling into a new house. Time to sort the rest of this out lol..
Im waiting for the tt esp and rear w/heater switches to arrive.
I'll keep you posted...
-Paul-

Just draining int it haha. Yeah keep me updated pal.

Just draining int it haha. Yeah keep me updated pal.

Mentally and physically lol.
Iv decided Dani.. Im sacrificing my ashtray. Iv gutted it and in the process of making a fibreglass casing to house the switches. Im hoping to get it sitting where the ashtray was.
The other option is extending the piano black trim but before i start chopping that up. I'll try the safe option.
Do you have any idea if its possible to get the piano black finnish out of a can?

That'll be interesting.

Not what I know of mate, with it been gloss black plastic, it'll be hard to replicate with paint.