Knocking when going into second gear

anderswhk

Reaction score
When i go into second gear, before i let go of the clutch, a knock can sometimes be heard, unless i do it really carefully. Normal gearchange, it knocks. I can produce this sound, if i "pump" the cluctch at low speeds at 5-10 mph, in second gear. It is not that loud of a knock, but it is clearly metal hitting metal, and its driving me nuts!

I like to go into neutral when i stop at a light that has just turned red. Then sometimes when i want to into first, it is literally impossible to go into first, like the gears wont move. Doesnt even wiggle, at all. I then go into neutral again, and then it will go into first, but only after doing a really loud knock. I am not sure if the 2 issues are connected. Driving is fine, the other gears are smooth as butter.

Are there any known issues with the 5 speed gearboxes? Its a slightly modded 1.8T AUM @ 145.000 KM (90.000 miles)

Update: I have been told to try and change the dogbone mount, as they like to make noises when worn. I have looked at a new one from ESC in the USA, as its actually cheaper than the OEM piece, but is supposed to be better. They dont have any data on the A3 as it was never sold in the US.

Will the rear dogbone trannymount from a MK4 Golf GTI fit my A3 8L 1.8T?

I keep reading that after changing this i must do a "full linkage shift allignment". Is that really nescesarry, and how much work would be involved? I have acces to a lift, but are not really mech sawwy at all.

I keep reading that after changing this i must do a "full linkage shift allignment". Is that really nescesarry, and how much work would be involved? I have acces to a lift, but are not really mech sawwy at all.
no idea where you read that, that isnt the case when fitting a dogbone engine mount.

however, givin your initial issue, a gear linkage alignment is probably worth doing.
try and view the instructions on forges website for fitting a short shift, that tells you how to reset the cables. really easy job though