forgot to conect throttle body, then drove, any damage done?

BOOST LEAK

Reaction score
hi all while changing some spilt pipes on my s3, i disconnected the wire from the inlet manfoild i think its the throttle body wire?, i drove about 5 miles before i remembered to connect it, would i have done any harm driving without the throttle body connected? and wile driving with it disconnected it seemed to have a lot more boost and seemed loads quicker, does this mean my throttle body is no good ? thanks all..

Lol... if you had disconnected the throttle body you would be going no where ;P

I suspect its the intake air temp sensor you have left disconnected... the ECU needs the IAT sensor to be able to ensure it can control boost and timing properly... disconnected it will default to -48 which is why the car may have felt quicker as it can't compensate for the air temps...

Continued driving could lead to potential engine damage though as it will be constantly pulling timing based on what the knock sensors see rather than being able to use IAT's to calculate effective timing advance...

I doubt you have done any damage as these ECU's cater for this but I wouldn't be driving around indefinitely like it... its an important sensor and performance will drop off as the ECU learns how much timing advance it can use...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: BOOST LEAK
You wouldn't be able to drive it without the throttle body disconnected electronically. There would be no signal/power to tell the throttle body to open and close.

Maybe you disconnected the air intake temp sensor.

Fixing the split pipes will make the car feel a lot better as you would have eliminated the boost leaks :)

I suspect its the intake air temp sensor you have left disconnected... the ECU needs the IAT sensor to be able to ensure it can control boost and timing properly... disconnected it will default to -48 which is why the car may have felt quicker as it can't compensate for the air temps...

Continued driving could lead to potential engine damage though as it will be constantly pulling timing based on what the knock sensors see rather than being able to use IAT's to calculate effective timing advance...

I doubt you have done any damage as these ECU's cater for this but I wouldn't be driving around indefinitely like it... its an important sensor and performance will drop off as the ECU learns how much timing advance it can use...

<tuffty/>

Images

<tuffty/>
hi, thanks m8 nice1, throttle body lol, glad you told me the correct name for it m8, it was a wire going into the inletmanfold, i only drove about 5 miles with it disconnected, but it defo hade loads more boost even my boost gauge when highter with it disconncted. thanks

You wouldn't be able to drive it without the throttle body disconnected electronically. There would be no signal/power to tell the throttle body to open and close.

Maybe you disconnected the air intake temp sensor.

Fixing the split pipes will make the car feel a lot better as you would have eliminated the boost leaks :)[/QUOTE

hi m8 thaks for replay, yes it must off bin the air intake sensor i left disconnected, when i reconnected it the boost when back to normal, changing the worn out pipes dint make a bit off differents to the boost, thanks