smic s3 8l ?

m19lte

Reaction score
Hi all, sorry if it's a stupid question but which of the smic's on the s3 is the primary ? I've got a few ideas running round my head ATM and just want to confirm which is the primary and which is the secondary.
Oh and can anyone confirm that the smic hose outlets are 60mm ? (Or are they 50mm)
Cheers

Primary?... the route is drivers side to passenger side and its 60mm

<tuffty/>

Yea I just meant as there plumbed in series one will do the initial cooling then the second (try) and do the rest.
Cheers tuffty your a great help :)

As you look from the front the left/drivers side IC is first.

Have you ever seen the car/engine bay? Because it is REALLLLLLLLLY obvious if you open the bonnet :)

Yea I just meant as there plumbed in series one will do the initial cooling then the second (try) and do the rest.
Cheers tuffty your a great help :)

Tbh beyond std power they don't do much of anything.... FMIC is a better option...

<tuffty/>

This begs the question why did Audi put two small intercoolers in the S3 when a FMIC is better? Cost perhaps? Weight saving? Or is it purely not needed at 210/225 bhp?

This begs the question why did Audi put two small intercoolers in the S3 when a FMIC is better? Cost perhaps? Weight saving? Or is it purely not needed at 210/225 bhp?

The twin I/C setup is quite efficient for standard cars, but once you go down the route of stage1+, then it's only natural to upgrade other parts to cope. For me personally, I've not had a problem retaining my standard setup, but I hardly drive the car, and rarely do I push the car hard for long periods to notice heat soak.

I expect they were following the same principles as the S4 mate that was released in 1997 and had about 260bhp and twin turbos :)

Anyway - the SMIC do an okay job until stage 1 remap!

I suppose it's better than the Japanese who put the intercooler on top of the manifold under the bonnet (hence the huge bonnet scoops)

Ha yea cheers 16klappe wasn't 100% as the car wasn't infront of me. I've not had a proper look on the ic side of things and was just checking for definite that they didn't crossover on the under side or something stupid, (never looked on the underside with the under tray being there)