Lowering an a3 1.8t sport

trevorb33

Reaction score
Ive seen some Koni sport springs for sale from awesome gti claim to lower it 35-40mm, only £75 sounds like a bargain, just want to do the springs at the moment so any thoughts would be great, anyone got any pics of an a3 lowered around 35-40mm, any issues with rubbing, grounding out etc, im running 17" at the mo, i dont want to be beaching it everywhere. Thanks in advance

I have an 98 A3 1.8t sport and am running 18'' RS4 wheels and its lowered 45mm but it sits really low @ the front and **** up. I dont get any rubbing @ all and it handles really well but it is a bit of a course ride. I wish id waited and got a full kit but it looks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif hot and Im used to the bumpy ride. It makes driving fun.

trevorb - how many miles has it done? If the dampers aren't in their first flush of youth (like less than 40K miles) lower springs will kill them pretty quickly, and it costs about the same to have new dampers fitted at the same time as the springs.

You'll also find the car will be hopelessly underdamped on standard dampers with stiffer shorter springs - they're underdamped on standard springs. Unless you're fitting the springs yourself it's a bit of a false economy not to do the dampers at the same time IMO.

my cars just coming up to 40k, seen some lowering kits on ebay for £200 with dampers aswell, might be worth a go