retro fittin heated seats

Reaction score
hey all, i have a 2001 s3 and i wanted to retro fit heated seats into it. has anyone done this? any advice? i have read that the elements are sometimes put into the seats regardless of if you ordered heated seats. so how can i tell if that is the case? does it mean i just need to wire it up to switches? if anyone can help or point me to someone who can i would b very grateful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

I have been looking into this for ages and have still not succesfully found anyone who has retro fitted heated seats. I think it is somewhat the holy grail of S3 modding. You can scan most audi forums and come up with little bits of info but nothing definitive. No one seems to know even if the elements are fitted in all the seats. Hope you have more luck than i did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Aaron

I don't think the elements are fitted to all S3s regardless, however i think it would be a nighmare to do, for example on the front moveable part of the seat the element is in a cover that is bonded to the rest of the foam.

I would think if you could get hold of the covers for the seats and take them apart completly without breaking anything you could do it, but it's a BIG job.

Then you'd need to wire them up to the dash etc.

Think you'd be better of buying a new car with heated seats!

If you could find a set of seats with the elements in from a damaged car then it may be a go'er (buy those seats and sell yours), but otherwise it is a lot of work and you could damage your seats in the process.

I have read on another forum that the heater elements are already in Recaro the seats, but if you don't/didn't tick the heated seats option, they snip the wires or connectors off at the factory!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

Although i dont actually know for sure, i would be very surprised if the heating elements where not in all of the seats. The cost of manufacturing two different types of seats would far outway the cost of putting a simple heating element in each seat.

To check you can remove the front extendable part of the seat via two spring clips underneath.
There is then a piece that slides off underneath to remove the cover.

If there is an electrical connector in there then you've got the elements.

Interestingly, if you have to have them replaced, audi just glue new elements over the old ones as you can't get them out without ruining the cover.

Can't hurt to take a look?

I can help with wiring diagrams if needed.

[ QUOTE ]
To check you can remove the front extendable part of the seat via two spring clips underneath.
There is then a piece that slides off underneath to remove the cover.

If there is an electrical connector in there then you've got the elements.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have to remove the seats to do this or can it be done in situ? Also if you could provide wiring schematics/diagrams it would be great, as it means i am one step closer to doing this mod. If audi do just glue new elements in, then surely it must not be that hard to diy new ones in? Does anyone know how many elements are in a seat and how much they cost?
Thanks

Aaron

there's three elements in the seats I think.

You should be able to see the cable if it's there with a tourch if you pull the movable part as far forward and look under at the door side of the seat the cables are clipped in just at the side.

Removing the front is easy with the seat inplace however getting it back in was not so I took the seats out.

Just priced up the heating elements.
£401.29! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif
heatingelements6en.jpg

Hopefully yours have the elements fitted already!
Oh yeah, and the switches for the dash are £50 each!!
I'd try to find a smashed car to get some bits from.

Heres a wiring diagram. This is for a 2001 model. Let me know if yours is a pre facelift --> Clicky

Here is a zip file of all the info to take the seats apart --> Clicky again

Hope that helps.

I'd guess it will just be the drivers seat that will be getting heated LOL

Your ETKA must be better than mine - I just get part number not found.

i am still really interested in gettin them fitted. i think i might get a professional retrim firm to take alook and if i have the elements i will get the switches fitted. if i dont then it changes things if the elements run up to 400+. but if i had them it would b the most complete package... definately something i am going to check out.

also can anyone take a picture of wot i am looking for when checking if i have the elements. having trouble knowing which bits to pull at? and i want to check asap... thanks!

after alot of searchin i have found a cpmplete climate block with the heated seat switches intact. now am i right that the three seat elements must conect onto one wire (loom) which goes between the dash switches and the fuse box? i am so close to getting this done...