S3 overheating help please!

stuart_tate41

Reaction score
Hi guys,

over the last few days every time I've been out in the car I've had a coolant temp warning come up. The dash display creeps up to 110/120 on the dash, it drops back to 90 within about 20-30 seconds.

I've changed the temp sensor, I've check a return flow to the expansion tank.

Today I set the climate control to show engine coolant temp (51). It started off at about 14 and settled at 75. Driving home I noticed the dash temp gauge rise to 100 however the climate controll stayed on 75.

Any ideas on the problem!?

Last edited:
I thought the climate display was 49 for coolant temp? Might be wrong...

Any idea on the problem Alex?

I doubt it's the water pump as there is a return flow, new temp sensor as well. So thermostat or clocks?

My pre facelift s3 it's 49c for coolant and 51c for oil temp

Was the CTS a genuine one?

Because it seems as the unit is giving the dash one figure and the ECU another.

as above the aftermarket sensors either dont work or **** up quick

I bought a eBay coolant sensor and never worked correctly from the start,bought a genuine audi part and its been spot on since

We'll its from know motor factor and its doing exactly the same as the audi part I removed. Just find it had to believe that a brand new part doesn't work!

We'll its from know motor factor and its doing exactly the same as the audi part I removed. Just find it had to believe that a brand new part doesn't work!

quite alot of aftermarket parts dont work as they should
have you checked the wireing etc
have you scanned for fault codes ?

get an obd 2 cable off ebay for 6 quid an download the free vcds-lite software from ross-tech best 6 quid you'll ever spend then the car will tell you whats wrong...

So right now having the cambelt and water pump changed!

Took it back to the dealer hes doing the water pump FOC and I'm paying cost of parts for the cambelt. RESULT

Got it back no new water pump ,cambelt and aux belt. Lovely did a 250 mile trip the other day no overheating at all!